Flower Class corvette

Wow! Jerry 47

Reply to
jerry 47

Hello all

Thought some of you might like to take a look at some pics of a 1/72 scale corvette I am (slowly) building. The pics are at:

Feedback / constructive criticism very welcome!

Regards

Graham

Reply to
Graham Townsend

Reply to
Chris C.

Amazing, I haven't even opened one of the two Snowberries in my closet and you actually build one with the Great Little Ships sets... Try to keep us informed, I like these megaproject online builds. Hope you can keep up the courage till the end,

Goodluck,

Erik Wauters, Belgium

"Graham Townsend" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@ripnet-uk.com...

Reply to
Erik Wauters

Thanks all for your comments. I'm hoping to put another page online shortly which will show the latest progress.

Erik, I was looking at your site the other evening - some really nice work there!

Regards

Graham

Reply to
Graham Townsend

Graham, That sure looks pretty, I have built several of the kits but have never used any brass sets. good luck I will look in again

Reply to
Gary Taylor

Can you give me some idea of size? How long is it?

Keep it up.

David David Pennington snipped-for-privacy@bbbweb.com

Reply to
David Pennington

Hi David

The kit is 1/72 scale so she's about three feet long! I'll need a BIG display case when I finally get finished...

Reply to
Graham Townsend

Have stockpiles of big kits in the closet but build mostly small stuff and leave the serious work to the serious guys like you ;-)

Erik Wauters

"Graham Townsend" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@ripnet-uk.com...

Reply to
Erik Wauters

This is far and away the biggest kit I've ever done. I remember the Matchbox corvette coming out when I was a kid but couldn't afford it. Then at work it came up in conversation somehow that a colleague was building one, so I thought I might give it a go!

I've only made two or three kits since my teens, so this one is quite a challenge. Whilst doing some research I came across the Great Little Ships PE kits, and bought one to see what they were like. Unfortunately for my wallet they were so good compared to the Revell parts that I decided I would have to use them all!

Just as an example of the kind of detail they provide, Revell give one part to depict the engine room skylight, whilst the GLS kit uses over 100 parts for the same item!

Regards

Graham

Reply to
Graham Townsend

Strewth, as our Aussie friends would say :-) David Pennington snipped-for-privacy@bbbweb.com

Reply to
David Pennington

There is so much beautiful detail in brass in you model that the plastic looks a kinda "cheap and tacky." Couldn't you have used the plastic parts as the pattern and reproduce them in wood or even metal and make the model really gorgeous and acccurate?

Reply to
PaPaPeng

I think that would probably be beyond my modellng skills tbh. And actually very little of the plastic kit is used - the hull (sanded down, and I'm contemplating trying to put rivet heads on it - eek!), basis of the superstructure and the vents, which have all been thinned down with a B&D Wizard (a poor man's Dremel)

Must get that next page posted...

Reply to
Graham Townsend

You mean you aren't going to add a revell 1/72 U-Boat kit and make a diorama??? :-)

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Pretty impressive work there! The word 'heavy' comes to mind :-) Let us know how the accompanying U-Boat and of course the aircraft are doing.

Good luck with the project, Gernot

Graham> Hello all Thought some of you might like to take a look at Graham> some pics of a 1/72 scale corvette I am (slowly) building. Graham> The pics are at:

Graham>

Graham> Feedback / constructive criticism very welcome!

Graham> Regards

Graham> Graham

Reply to
Gernot Hassenpflug

Hmm, lot of 'peer pressure' here for me to convert this into a full-blown Battle of the Atlantic diorama! ;-)

Reply to
Graham Townsend

Grahm:

Much of that "peer pressure" is just an "in joke" relating to the size of your project. Don't worry about it. I'm looking at the painting aspect of this. From the photos, there appear to be brass decks as the main part of the etch set. Did you make any effort to clean the brass decks before you installed them. Large areas of brass can be a bitch to paint if contaminated with process chemicals, preservative oils, even skin oils from your fingerprints. What paints are you planning to use??

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

I'm not losing any sleep tbh... ;-)

I didn't clean the brass (silly of me) but have been lucky I suppose. Have used WEM colour coat enamels airbrushed on and had no problems so far, touch wood. I'll post the latest pics soon and you can see what you think!

Regards

Graham

Reply to
Graham Townsend

Or make a diorama with both the Airfix and the Revell E-Boats? ;^)

Reply to
Claus Gustafsen

The best mutlimedia primer I've found so far is Alclad grey. A simple wash with dish liquid cleans resin and PE enough. No worries about incidental fingeroils after the wash, unless you're a mutant.

Reply to
Ron