Imperial Japanese Tank references

Does anyone know a book, preferably in English, about WW2 Japanese armor?

Barring that, a site with some good info on Japanese tanks?

TIA

Rob Gronovius Visit my motor pool in the

gallery

Reply to
Rob Gronovius

As Doug Chaltry already has mentioned, the three Tank Power volumes titled Japanese Armor: Vol. 1, 2 and 3 from AJ Press are definately what you're looking for. (However, be aware of some tiny errors in the scale plans: The front part of the turret on the Type 97 Shinhoto Shi Ha in Vol. 2 appears to have been mirrored in the side views, making the plans incorrect on the, uh, left side, I think. And I'm not too sure about those scale plans for the Type 94 TK in Vol. 1 either. The raised access hatch on the front part of the glacis on both the plans for the early and the late model appears to be of a type which I've only rarely seen any pictures of, and which I believe to be from a very early model.)

John Magne Stubsveen

Rob

If you can find them (try abebooks.com) there were two AFV Profiles on Japanese tanks written by Gen Tomio Hara, who was prominent in tank design. #49 is titled Japanese Medium Tanks and #54 is Japanese Combat Cars, Light Tanks and Tankettes. They're brief but VERY authoritative given the General's role in medium tank design.

They do appear from time to time on Abebooks.com, I only bought mine leat year.

Cheers

John

Reply to
JPrigent

Guys, thanks for the websites and the book titles. Now, I have several Fine Molds Japanese tanks: FM-11 Type 3 Chi-Nu Medium Tank FM-16 Type 95 Ha-Go Light Tank FM-17 Type 94 TK Light Armored Car (tankette)

Which of the volumes (1, 2, or 3) would be of most use to me based on wanting to build these three tanks?

TIA

Rob Gronovius Visit my motor pool in the

gallery

Reply to
Rob Gronovius

If you can find the issues, gander forth at MMiR issues 26 and 30, probably more. Jim Hensley wrote a few articles about building some of those kits from Fine Molds including a list of reference. If you can't find them, email me off-group and I'll gladly reply with reference names ISBN's etc.; it's a pretty long list.

Reply to
Steve

Volume 1 for the Type 94 TK tankette and Type 95 Ha Go light tank.

As for the Type 3 Chi Nu ... Although volume 2 covers the Type 97 Chi Ha medium tank and later variants, the Type 3 is curiously enough omitted. I haven't got volume 3 so I don't know if it's covered in that one, but looking at the cover it appears to deal mostly with amphibious tanks.

The only book I know of which contains detailed reference pictures, scale plans and cut-away drawings of the Type 3 Chi Nu is "Japanese Tanks and Armoured Vehicles" by Argonauts Publishing. Unfortunately it's all in japanese.

Reply to
John Magne Stubsveen

Hi again. Just thought I'd list the accessories I know of which are available for these kits in case you'd want to know:

Fine Molds MG-19 IJA Tanks Vision Port Set 1 (clear plastic) Fine Molds MG-11 IJA Type 3 Medium Tank Set 1 Fine Molds MG-25 IJA Type 1 Medium Tank Accessories Set Modelkasten SK-31 Type 97 Medium Tank Track Set (workable)

Fine Molds MG-06 IJA Type 94! 37mm Tank Gun Barrel Set (turned metal) Fine Molds MG-28 IJA Type 95 Light Tank Photo Etched Parts Set Modelkasten SK-50 Type 95 Light Tank Track Set (workable)

Modelkasten SK-58 IJA Type 94 Tankette Track Set (sheer insanity)

Reply to
John Magne Stubsveen

Steve Zaloga wrote an interesting article on Japanese Tank Unit markings in the late 80's or early 90's. Maybe someone ca ntell us the name of hte magazine, I received a photocopy of the article from a kind fellow modeler - unfortunately this is now in South Africa while I am in Japan.

Reply to
Gernot Hassenpflug

Oops! Clear vision ports are included in both the Type 1 Chi He and Type 3 Chi Nu kits. I forgot about that. Sorry.

And these two items are photoetched parts.

Reply to
John Magne Stubsveen

Thanks, great information. I think I'll pass on the MK tracks though, I just found out I've got a 6th kid coming so I need to hang onto what little sanity I have left. Rob Gronovius Visit my motor pool in the

gallery

Reply to
Rob Gronovius