Merry Christmas to all-

When I'm in Vegas or Laughlin (low budget Vegas) I always play an "I dream of Jeannie" slot machine just so I can hear Barbara Eden's voice. When I was

12 I used to dream about having her at my total beck and call. Yow!!!
Reply to
Jim Atkins

I can fully understand you. My father passed away in 1974. I promised him that, should the time come, I would take care of my mother. In 1992, she fell and injured her hip. After her rehabilitation, it was clear she would not be able to live alone any more and I brought her down to South Carolina where I was stationed to live with us in our home. She had the beginnings on ahlzheimers but was with it most of the time and thinge went quite well. within a year she had gond downhill so far, both mentally and physically, that he had to hire a nurse to stay with her when we were at work. Within a couple more months she had deteriorated mentally to the point that she was viciously attacking my daughters and, often driving them to tears with her abuse.

I know it was not hear but the mental affliction but I was forced to make one of the hardest choices in my life. For the sake of my daughters, I broke the promise I'd made to my dad and I put her in a nursing home in the same community in which we lived. I visited her at least 3-4 times a week and she remained there until she passed away in 1996. I know I made the only decision I could have made for my daughters and my wife but the fact I broke my promise to my dad will torment me until the day I die.

-- -- -- -- -- "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell

My Home Page:

Bill Woodier

Good for you, MJ!

-- -- -- -- -- "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell

My Home Page:

Bill Woodier

I wish him the best as well. It's a dangerous time but your Son has chosen a noble profession. Support him and his choice to the hilt in public and pray for him in private. I'm sure he will be fine.

As for your older son; he is also entitled to his opinion and beliefs. You must also understand him and accept the fact he is entitlerd to his beliefs as well, though they may be diametrically opposed to those of your younger son (and, perhaps, yours). It's a difficult tightrope you will be walking and I pray you will have the strength and wisdom to do so.

Semper fi.........Bill

-- -- -- -- -- "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell

My Home Page:

Bill Woodier

DC: Were it me, I woiuld tell her to get the biggest damn flag she could find, puit a flagpoler in her front yard (no matter of it took the ewntire yard) and fly it every day. I would even volunteer to rais it for her every morning and retire it for her every eveinig. then dare the cowardly shitbags to do something about it (but that's just me). |:~(

-- -- -- -- -- "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell

My Home Page:

Bill Woodier

There's a song I can sing along with. Some folks would probably pack Mom off to one and my mother is fiercely opinionated. They'd pack her full of stuff to keep her quiet. I promised Dad to take care of her and that's what I'm trying to do. Sometimes it's like taking care of a willful child but generally we get along fine. Sometimes it's even fun.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

HURRAH for Oz!!

Bill Banaszak

Reply to
Mad-Modeller
Reply to
Digital_Cowboy
Reply to
Digital_Cowboy
Reply to
Digital_Cowboy
Reply to
Digital_Cowboy
Reply to
Digital_Cowboy

IMO you didn't break your promise, Bill - moving her to a nursing home at that stage and in your circumstances was the *best* thing you could have done for her, and for your daughters.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

I'm 57 and I *still* dream of having her at my beck and call. Genie or not... >;-)

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Indeed. :-)

Reply to
John Magne Stubsveen

Good thing Carol doesn't read the group, eh?

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller
Reply to
Digital_Cowboy

This rings a bell. I have a friend who was in the same position as your self. Her mother was a very hard person to like, or love, I guess, for pretty much the same reason's you outline. Yet she and her Sister took care of the Old Lady till her years of chain smoking finally caught up to her. The rest of her kids had scattered to the four winds as soon as they could and never looked back. My friend and her Sister are pretty well adjusted people, I guess there is something to the saying "whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger".

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Yep - saves me from the dreaded iron skillet. She's a sweetie but luckily for me almost 100% Internet illiterate. ;)

Reply to
Al Superczynski
Reply to
Digital_Cowboy