OT: New Star Trek movie Dec. 25th

snipped-for-privacy@some.domain wrote:

Must be a big Dyson!
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr. ;)

maybe just a ringworld. but if larry nive is there writing sickwells, i'm outta there.
Enzo Matrix wrote:

It had better not be in a vacuum or the guys welding it together are going to die pronto, as they are in coveralls with welding goggles and masks on, not pressure suits. In the teaser trailer they are doing it at night in what I assume is the San Francisco Navy Yard. Considering the goodies Bones has in his medical kit, at the very least they'd be electron beam or laser welding it. By the time of STNG, they weld the ships together using Gamma rays: http://www.tms.org/pubs/journals/JOM/9606/Bormanis-9606.html It's also a tad odd it has the name on it before it's even totally skinned, but this could just be a quickie scene. Anyway, one hopes it's not a actual scene from the movie with that prehistoric technology in it.
Pat
Pat Flannery wrote:

Exactly. In established Trek continuity, the San Francisco Fleet Yards are in geostationary orbit above San Francisco. We have already seen them in the opening sequences of "Star Trek: The Motion Picture".
http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/San_Francisco_Fleet_Yards
--
Enzo

I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.
Enzo Matrix wrote:

In the written version prior to that movie the Enterprise was built on the surface of Earth at San Francisco, which is why she has a Naval Construction Contract number. (actually it was inspired by the registration number of Matt Jeffries' Waco YOC biplane; NC 17740: http://www.eaa231.org/Museum/WacoYOC/WACO.htm ) Specifically, the Enterprise was supposed to have been built at the "old" San Francisco Navy Yards in the book "The Making Of Star Trek" from 1968, which presumably means the Mare Island Navy Yards. In the teaser trailer, it does appear to be being built on the Earth's surface on a foggy night, like one would expect around San Francisco:
http://trekmovie.com/wp-content/uploads/star-trek-uss-enterprise-b.gif
And here's where the idea came from: http://trekmovie.com/2008/01/20/fan-made-image-inspired-teaser-trailer /
Pat

Apparently you missed "Enterprise."
cd
--
The difference between immorality and immortality is "T". I like Earl
Grey.

: : Apparently you missed "Enterprise." :     You mean there is something to see besides Jolene Blalock? It was not as bad as I had anticipated. Of course, Ms. Blalock contributed to that immensely.
                            Bruce
"I like bad!" Bruce Burden Austin, TX.
Bruce Burden wrote:

That's just the sort of trick those Vulcans would pull, isn't it? "The Earthmen will stare at her large breasts while we pull the wool over their eyes, like the dirty stinking liars we are. The plan is flawlessly logical. They were even foolish enough to believe us when we said we never lie...which was of course a lie. Next we must breed with one of their women to create a green-blooded, inhuman, mutinous, disloyal, and computerized half-breed who can subvert their most skilled starship captain into seeing things our way at the proper time in the future. We shall use Sarek to accomplish this years from now when he is in Pon farr, as he is a more skilled liar than even the rest of us are, and is hung like a le-matya." :-D
Pat
Carl Dershem wrote:

Season 4 of "Enterprise" cleared up the problems. Admittedly they had to jump through a couple of hoops to do it, but in the end everything was self consistent.
--
Enzo

I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.
Carl Dershem wrote:

Dirty stinking lying stuck-up Vulcans.
Pat

No, I felt the same way about Enterprise. I will occasionally watch a rerun if that is the only thing on TV, but even then, frequently I turn it off and listen to music.
I thought it had promise early on that they threw away,tho I did like the 2nd half of the final season,not counting the utter crap that was the last episode.Did they EVER resolve that temporal war mess?

eyeball wrote:

Beats me. I got thrown off by that whole season where Archer goes ape after the Zandi (?). None of that was taped and as far as I'm concerned, it never happened.
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.
Mad-Modeller wrote:

The third season Xindi arc was the resolution of the temporal cold war story.
--
Enzo

I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.
All I remember about that is that at the end,the bad guys blow up and Sam wakes up in Alien/Nazi WWII...Oh boy!

eyeball wrote:

:-D
Actually that story "Storm Front Pts 1 and 2" is the very final resolution of the Temporal Cold War story.
--
Enzo

I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.

The only worthwhile episodes I recall (apart from Jolene's shower and massage scenes) were the two Mirror Darkly throwback jersey episodes. OK, I rather enjoyed "Carbon Creek" too. Overall Blaylock and Tucker were all I ever enjoyed out of this show. The rest was typical Treknobabble spiked with sagging plots and thin acting diluted even further by having too many heroes on the ship scrapping for lines. If Kirk was a ham gobbling up scenery like a planet killer, Archer was a moody lout who did not want to command a ship. That might make for intriguing thought in a novel or a single episode, but it makes for pretty bad premise for a TV series.
You know things are bad when you miss Kate Mulgrew. Her portrayal of Janeway was as close as I thought we'd ever get to see walking, talking cardboard. Then came Archer. Oy. If you can out deadpan the girl playing the alien that possesses no emotional outlet - you know you're ship's in trouble.
Enterprise was stillborn from the start. What can you expect from a show that didn't have Star Trek in its title the first season or two and was marketed as Star Trek for people who aren't fans of Star Trek. WTF? We still don't know what that means but we have an idea now what it doesn't mean - it doesn't mean that because you predate the series before the time of the franchise flagship that you will be getting a prequel that takes its bearings from canon and attempts to establish franchise continuity.
Which I believe is the concern some have for the "Baby Trek" that debuts this December. I don't care much one way or the other. Life moves on, actors age, shows fade. But like him or not (and many don't), but Shatner IS Captain Kirk and they should have come to terms to throw him a bone in the new flick.
Grandpa Kirk?
WmB
: : Actually that story "Storm Front Pts 1 and 2" is the very final resolution : of the Temporal Cold War story. :     Oh. I guess when SciFi recycles ST:E I will have to make it a point to see "SF 2", as I seem to have missed that one. I do remember "SF 1", and was wondering why nobody said boo about a Nazi officer with red eyes...
    Re "Through a Mirror Darkly", I did have to go out and get the PL NX-01 kit. Now, if somebody will do a TOS Enterprise (no bloody 'A', 'B', 'C' or 'D'!), I can build it as the USS Defiant.
    Gotta say, however, that Apple Zinc Chromate command color was horrid. I just can't wait to see THAT on HD. NOT!
                            Bruce
"I like bad!" Bruce Burden Austin, TX.
I just want to see a menage a troi with 7 of 9, the Vulcan babe from Enterprise and me. And I want them to enjoy it and realize thier humanity.
'Nuff said.
Frank
On Feb 2, 9:17pm, grey snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Gray Ghost) wrote:

that, to modify Spock's usual comment, "is logical"