OT: Swiss Invade Liechtenstein!

Ok, who failed map reading 101?

Swiss accidentally invade Liechtenstein Fri Mar 2, 8:51 AM ET

ZURICH, Switzerland - What began as a routine training exercise almost ended in an embarrassing diplomatic incident after a company of Swiss soldiers got lost at night and marched into neighboring Liechtenstein.

According to Swiss daily Blick, the 170 infantry soldiers wandered just over a mile across an unmarked border into the tiny principality early Thursday before realizing their mistake and turning back.

A spokesman for the Swiss army confirmed the story but said that there were unlikely to be any serious repercussions for the mistaken invasion.

"We've spoken to the authorities in Liechtenstein and it's not a problem," Daniel Reist told The Associated Press.

Officials in Liechtenstein also played down the incident.

Interior ministry spokesman Markus Amman said nobody in Liechtenstein had even noticed the soldiers, who were carrying assault rifles but no ammunition. "It's not like they stormed over here with attack helicopters or something," he said.

Liechtenstein, which has about 34,000 inhabitants and is slightly smaller than Washington DC, doesn't have an army.

Reply to
crw59

snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net wrote: : Ok, who failed map reading 101? : : Swiss accidentally invade Liechtenstein Fri Mar 2, 8:51 AM ET : : Liechtenstein, which has about 34,000 inhabitants and is slightly : smaller than Washington DC, doesn't have an army. : Perhaps Cheney was looking for a retirement country?

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

Oops!

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr. :)

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Just be glad the Duchy of Grand Fenwick didn't get involved!

Reply to
eyeball

i believe it's the grand duchy of fenwick if you are referring to the mouse that roared.

I googled it...it was listed as Duchy of Grand Fenwick...but I haven't read the book in 20 years.

Reply to
eyeball

me neither. so it's possible you're correct.

< snippage>

I checked. Dutchy of Grand Fenwick it is.

-Kevin in Indy

Reply to
Kevin M. Vernon

then it's offishell!

Then at least Sealand and Andorra didn't have to get involved to straighten this out!

Reply to
eyeball

so there will be peace between boskone and arisia?

And, let's not forget Fredonia.

Gary Anderson

Reply to
Gary Anderson

nor bender of elbonia.... "hail elbonia, a land i didn't make up!" and mike, under luna city, dreaming.

Hail Fredonia!

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

snipped-for-privacy@some.domain (e) wrote

Dude.... how old are you lol? Personaly, I never gave a stuff about either of them - I always wanted a chance with Nurse MacDougall...

Rob

Reply to
AussieRob

i want a 4 way with the 2 sets of twins....i bet constance could make you bark like a dog. but the planet of men-hating amazons was my vacation spot. i just reread his catalogue this weekend. finishing up spacehounds of ipc and wishing for more. heinlin wrote about meeting smith and how smith picked a car for him. it was a winner. i'm the same age as dr who.

there is an amazing scifi con called boskone in boston every year. it was the no brain e birthday present. 26 and counting...

-- C.R. Krieger (All hail Marx & Lennon!)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger