OT: Viet Cong Backs Kerry.

">

This may make a great Halloween Outfit - A Herman Munster Kerry Mask, a priests outfit - and you walk around handing out small waffles and sample glasses of red wine. Sure to offend some and amuse others.

Val Kraut

Reply to
Val Kraut

Not even the politics, maybe. A close friend of mine married a man some years back; they are both very Roman Catholic. He had previously been married and divorced civilly, but went through a lengthy annulment process within the church in order to marry my friend. I got the impression that this became an expensive exercise. I'm sure such expenses are couched in terms of 'sacrifice,' if it even happens this way. But historically, rich folks don't have much trouble getting annulments. I have no idea how well the less well-to-do manage, nor am I even sure most practicing Catholics pay any attention to such nicities, any more than they do to birth control prohibitions or regularly seeking reconciliation (the newish term for the sacrament of confession). American Roman Catholicism might seem monolithic and hierarchical from the outside, but on the inside, it has a rather unruly and turbulent membership. Simply put, Kerry's standing within the Catholic church is unlikely to be much of an issue for those otherwise undecided, unless bishops start endorsing Bush--that would probably benefit Kerry.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

I don't think it works on Senatorial voting records.....

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Like I did, most likely. After my first wife left me I had little choice but to divorce her on my terms. I didn't and don't have the bucks to buy an annulment so I left the Church. I'm still a Christian but no longer consider myself Catholic.

It's much easier to gain 'forgiveness' for practicing birth control. I was 'granted absolution' for having a vasectomy. Would that the Church had been as understanding about my divorce.....

Reply to
Al Superczynski

"Al Superczynski" wrote

A woman I work with had a similar situation. Rather than the refusal of annulment that soured her, it was her priest's (many year long) insistence on staying in a loveless and slightly abusive marriage that caused her to leave. She got the impression that he was more interested in protecting the Church somehow than helping them.

Gawrsh. I hadn't thought about it that much but I'm still a bit surprised that the RCC considers that a "sinful" form of birth control.

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

From: Rufus snipped-for-privacy@mchsi.com

I did not hear that but, if true, it is just proof that, for the right price, even the Catholic Church can be bought.

-- -- " In walks the village idiot and his face is all aglow; he's been up all night listening to Mohammad's radio" W. Zevon

My home page:

Bill Woodier

From: "Digital_Cowboy" snipped-for-privacy@nobody.com

Sounds to me like the particular priest received a good talkin' to in order to help him clarify what he realy meant to say, then was directed to clarify his earlier statement in order to not be banished to the Botswana missions or someplace.

With a flip-flop like that on an issue of that importance to the Church, it sounds like the Catholic Chuch may be taking their lead from watching what Sen Kerry has done over the years. ;~)

-- -- " In walks the village idiot and his face is all aglow; he's been up all night listening to Mohammad's radio" W. Zevon

My home page:

Bill Woodier

But are you sure he wouldn't try to convince voters it works?

Reply to
Ron

Proactive birth control is less of a problem to the church than reactive birth control. With the former a few rosaries will clear you in their eyes.

Reply to
Ron

Technically, any form of birth control except Vatican roulette (rhythym method) is sinful. In other words, don't you dare interfere effectually with God's intent that you have many, many children. If you don't want children, go into holy orders.

The Roman Catholic hierarchy does archaic as well as anyone.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

Mostly we don't!

I still go to church, and figure that God'll sort it out. The head of out local Tribunal wanted a $2,500 "donation" (cash or money order only, sounds like he was a seller on eBay). I didn't have that kind of money, he told me he'd get back to me. Six months later, I called them and was told the good news. He couldn't find any reason for granting an annulment; as if the fact that my ex was living with her second boyfriend by this time wasn't enough.

Did you ever notice that according to the Church, the people that are most knowledgable about having a strong marriage and raising your kids properly are all celibate (or are supposted to be)? Mostly I think its all about power; I'll give you an annulment just as soon as you kiss my ass (and empty your wallet).

The Old Timer

Also, if you just want young boys-- Kim M

Reply to
Royabulgaf

I can't believe it. At last we've found an issue we're both on the same side of. ;~)

-- -- " In walks the village idiot and his face is all aglow; he's been up all night listening to Mohammad's radio" W. Zevon

My home page:

Bill Woodier

Having corresponded with Kim for any years and exchanged e-mails with Bill for quite awhile I think that you two would probably find a lot of thngs to agree on.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

I would suspect that most Americans agree on more than they themselves realize. That's probably why we're still a liberal 'democracy'.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Depends on which way the wind's blowing that day.....

Reply to
Al Superczynski

I'm sure there are more, Woodier- Actually that remark came from my wife, who is, as she says it, a recovering catholic. Lessee what else we have in common-

1/72 or 1/48?

Mopar or other?

Real beer or Coorsweiser?

Kim M

Reply to
Royabulgaf

This is a wierd day! Al used the word "liberal" and meant something nice- Anyway, I think of myself more as a moderate Republican- Sort of- Pat Buchanan on foreign policy, Ralph Nader on domestic policy. Kim M

Reply to
Royabulgaf