OT: Viet Cong Backs Kerry.

Ok...a former Viet Cong...
Seen on my local NBC news this noontime: story concerning a professed former Viet Cong partisan whom claims that he patrolled the Mekong Delta
in the area of Kerry's action and that it was a very dangerous place and that Kerry probably deserves those Purple Hearts. "Probably"...
I can't wait to hear the flap over THIS one...
--
- Rufus

The word of 254 other Americans wasn't good enough for you?
Frank Tauss writes,
"The word of 254 other Americans wasn't good enough for you?"
Uh, Frank? The former VC is vouching for Kerry.
--Chris Bucholtz

So we are supposed to believe Kerry and one VC over all the Americans ??
--
"Only A Gentleman Can Insult Me And A True Gentleman Never Will"

Yes.
You are supposed to believe that.
Consider it received wisdom.
<sarcasm mode off>
There is no significant controversy regarding Kerry's service in Vietnam. Our President has said so. Bush is also right when he says that the real issue is who is qualified to lead the country now, not who did what in service of his country thirty or so years ago. Kerry served under fire and earned medals. Bush flew airplanes stateside and did not. And if Bush had been mobilized and transferred to an F-105 squadron, he might have served under fire and earned medals. And if Kerry had been assigned to serve as an instructor at a stateside brown-water training facility, he would not have earned medals. It's all of a kind. Now, if you've got a gripe with Bush supposedly fudging out of his ANG service, or with Kerry protesting the war after he fought in it, wallow in it. At this point, it's a real old song, and it bespeaks an inability to focus on the positive aspects of your favored candidate. Neither was court-martialed, or otherwise disciplined for dereliction of duty, both were honorably discharged, and neither stayed in the military for the long term. At least they served. Furthermore, there's every reason to believe they are both good men and true. The main issue ought to be their very fundamental policy differences, but it's much easier to demonize the guy you don't like than it is to try to understand the policies of two candidates and what they portend for the future of this country. I see it from the Left and from the Right--intellectual laziness. It's pathetic. That's going to kill us a lot faster than ANY thoughtful approach, even if the latter is flawed.
Mark Schynert
--
Digital_Cowboy
Live Long and Prosper

I disagree completely. Rather than trying "see what he's hiding" people should just ask "is that all he's got?" and "what has he done lately?" The tack should be that even if one were to assume that everything Kerry claims was true, it has no relevance to being President 35 years later and should be ignored. Digging for dirt - old dirt - has a disgusting smell of pettiness (and desperation) to it.
KL

Yep. Let's look at Kerry's record as Lt. Governer of Massachusets and his ~20 years in the Senate. It seems that *he* sure doesn't want to talk about it.

My "From" address is munged - click "Reply To" to respond via email.
Al Superczynski wrote:

PRECISELY! I find it curious that he has stirred up all this ruckus about what did or did not happen 40 years ago, but no mention of his actual "political accomplishments" or details of his supposed programs to make everything better are being heard. Sounds like a smoke screen to me.
                            Bill Shuey

While I'll agree that you've made some very good points, Mr. Kerry is/has been parading his Military Service/War Record as the cornerstone of his campaign as to why he would be the better leader. So given that I would say that his Military Service/War Record is fair game to be examined and/or dissected.
Up to a point, yes, and we're well beyond it at this point. Kerry is entitled to put forth anything he thinks is a virtue (as is Bush), and others are more than entitled (I'd even argue they are obligated) to call him on lies or exaggerations about that. A well-funded group has attempted to do just that, so anyone who's got even one eye open has heard what they have to offer in rebuttal. They don't seem to be entirely above inconsistency, preverication and exaggeration themselves, but hey, life in politics is tough. Bush has had to weather a similar storm, and his records still seem to be incomplete. So what?
The issue of Kerry's Senate record is far more relevant. That focus is warranted, particularly as it actually goes to issues that are relevant to this campaign. Character? Feh. Both of these guys have significant shortcomings, but both have more character than half the presidents we've had in the last sixty years. Roosevelt? Nixon? Clinton? LBJ? Kennedy? Character-wise, they all had their creepy, creepy moments, and yet somehow we move forward. OTOH, look at Carter and Ford. Nice guys, and ineffective. I'd rather have a competent president than not; decent character is simply a bonus, not part of the job description, AFAIC. Politics is a filthy business, and a lot of the pols get filthy working it. Remember all those Republicans who managed to shot themselves down when they were gunning for Clinton, for precisely the same sort of behavior? That fiasco finally convinced me that character in politics is an illusory concept. I'll settle for president that does his job and manages to keep his zipper from falling to half mast while he does it. I think both these guys are good about the zipper thing; how are they going to run the country?
Mark Schynert

Me too. That's why I'll be voting for Bush. ;)

My "From" address is munged - click "Reply To" to respond via email.

Alright, based on Kerry's votes in the last 19 years and the extrememly poor judgement he showed in lieing to Congress and the lack of character in his zigzaging in answering to the SBVT allegations I do not believe he is qualified or even suited to being President. Furthermore it is about 2 months from the election and I have yet to understand what he plans to do for 4 years. Except of cours to consult with and await permission from the UN, France and Germany on matters regarding OUR national soverignty and security.
Bush, if nothing else has kept his campaign promises. I for the most part approve of his conduct in foreign affairs. What everyone else thinks interests me not. They have thier own interests, we have ours. If anything I think we should be more ruthless. That damn mosque in Najaf should have been leveled.
I hardly expect the Democrats to be tougher.
--
Digital_Cowboy
Live Long and Prosper

I love how early on, he said he would different from Bush, in that hw would get more allied nations involved, hence there wouldn't be as many Americans as casualties.
Never did figure hour how a statement like this could get more international support.....
--
"Only A Gentleman Can Insult Me And A True Gentleman Never Will"

--
Digital_Cowboy
Live Long and Prosper

Indeed. Well said.

My "From" address is munged - click "Reply To" to respond via email.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Chris Bucholtz) wrote in message

Why should there be a flap over this? If a former enemy respects what you did in combat against him, what higher praise could there be?
Just my two cents worth,
Bill K.
--
Digital_Cowboy
Live Long and Prosper

Thanks for reminding me of that. I was leaning away from Kerry towards the Greens, but we know at least at one time he was not afraid to stand up for the truth. Kim M

Ok some ex VC is putiing his opinion in about who would make a good US Presient - Hey Guys - Vote for Bush.