Feature name property

I normally name features, mostly for future change reference, such as "mounting hole" or "paint drain hole." I'd like to link a drawing note property to the feature name, so when I add the note to the drawing and connect the note leader to the feature, the name shows in the note. This note could go into the design library and then just drag and drop on a feature. You can see the feature name when hovering over the feature, I just can't get to the property that does this.

So far I've had no luck with this. Would any of you have a method or quick work around?

thanks for any suggestions, Diego

Reply to
Diego

This may be difficult. For example, how would you handle a single dimension represents how two features relate to each other?

Matt

fcsuper

Actually quite an ingenious suggestion. We'll have to ponder it a bit. This probably isn't simple though.

TOP

Reply to
TOP

I think you're going to need a macro to insert the feature's name into the note. What will make this tricky is that edges and faces aren't always owned by the feature you might expect or want. For example, when you double-click on a boss to get the feature dimensions of the extrude, you might get the angle of a draft feature that was applied later.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Matt, I'm only using this for a note, although once the note is there it would be easy to add a dimension if appropriate. I usually keep my notes and dimensions separate.

Top and Dale, SW knows the feature pointed to, you can see the pop-up when hovering. I'm hoping when I click to place the note it picks the feature that's shown. Dale, SW is certainly picky about the edges though. For example, on a flat pattern a feature cut from the side that's up shows the feature name; if you flip the layout it doesn't recognize it and just says flat-pattern.

This is a tricky one. I thought of writing a macro for this and if it works I'll post it. However these types of macros, at least with my sloppy style of creating them, are sometimes hit or miss for working correctly. If it works, great, and the note probably won't change automatically with an edit to the part. If I can call the feature name using a SW property, it should update automatically.

Thanks for the feedback. Diego

Reply to
Diego