Correct American terminology

While I agree with the others, I'm not sure I've heard the term "switchman" before. "Brakeman" (or "Brakie") is the more usual term that I've heard used. Brakeman is slowly being replaced with Trainman, these days. But historically, in the days of 5-man crews, you had the Engineer, Fireman, Conductor, Head-End Brakeman and Rear (or Tail-End) Brakeman. The Conductor and Rear Brakeman would be in the caboose, while the Head-End Brakeman would either ride in the cab with the Engineer & Fireman, or in his own "doghouse" on or in the loco's tender.
Pac Man wrote: [...]

All true, but the jobs in the yard are different. So are the rules.

And so are the job classifications. "Switchman" is a perfectly correct term to describe the employee that works on the ground in the yards switching cars. A "switch tender" is something altogether different. The correct term to use is the one that was used in your modeled region during the time you model.
Charles Crocker

Industrial complexes.

What
car
Or the original layout for "Llanfair" (shortened version of the name!) in Wales which the railway let burn down rather than put it out so that they could later rebuuild it intelligently :) Beowulf

I've got the long name on a railway ticket somewhere. It's a longer than normal ticket. I wondered why the major change in track layout there.

Mine, with the full name, was issued in the 1990s.

If they put back the London North Western Railway with Webb's compounds I'D be a tourist!!!
Regards, Greg.P.

I'D
The drivers would probably suicide.., they were very strange to drive with their uncoupled axles:( ie both sets of drivers could rotate in opposite directions... theres a Loco parked outside of Leighton Buzzard station if you want to look one over :) Beowulf

There's a real Leighton Buzzard? I thought that was in Peter Denny's(?) imagination.
Regards, Greg.P.

<http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?client=public&GridE=-0.66270&GridNQ.91920&lon=-0.66270&latQ.91920&search_result=Leighton%20Buzzard%2C%20Bedfordshire&db=freegaz&lang=&keepicon=true&place=Leighton%20Buzzard%2C%20Bedfordshire&pc=&advanced=&client=public&addr2=&quicksearch=leighton%20buzzard&addr3=&scale 0000&addr1=>
Watch the wrap round - this URL is huge :-)
Jim.

Such things only have to exist _once_ to be modelable, not be the average or normal arrangement.
I don't have any problem with your sig. or it's format. Perhaps Ray should leave.
Regards, Greg.P.
instead replied:

instead replied:

I'd have to start lying, stop and then start lying again to achieve that.

Agreed. 8^)

And on locals at least in Harrisburg, Reading & Lancaster, Pa areas there are Brakemen. They perform the same functions as a conductor without the responsibility. They usually are on opposite ends of the train during switching moves. My kind of job!

Brakeman, or "Brakie" for short, is the usual term for the guys cutting cars, connecting air hoses, and setting the handbrakes on locals (or "peddlars")...which means those trains that would leave a terminal or yard and go somewhere to switch out industries. In a big yard or terminal, that may have not been the case. IIRC, "Yardmen" would be the correct term for those in a terminal who did not go out on the mainline, but were otherwise brakemen.

Technically, the Conductor is responsible for all movement of the train, but usually delegated that to the brakemen for switching.

That should be fun. :-)
BTW, be advised that here in the States, engineers don't "drive" their engines, they "operate" them. When uncoupling a string of cars from the locomotive, one term used is to "pull the head pin". And so on. Just do a search for USA RR slang, and I'm sure you'll find tons of examples just on r.m.r alone.
Paul A. Cutler III ************* The Key to New England - The New Haven Railroad *************
Watched a John Wayne movie (from bottom shelf of the Video Shop) last night. Wayne's character was the Army coronel leading a bunch of Northern soldiers through the South during US civil war.
Coronel to Southern Belle; "I'm a railroad engineer." Southern Belle; "I'm just so amazed how you big men can steer those great hunks of steaming ... the way you do!" (possibly some inuendo there) Coronel; (missing inuendo) "No, I don't drive the engines, I build the railroad tracks."
Regards, Greg.P.
Greg.P. spake thus:

"Coronel"? Is that another quaint Kiwi idea of how we spell "colonel"? Asking because you spelled (spelt) it that way *twice*.
--
Napoleon won the battle of Waterloo. The German Wehrmacht won World War
II. The United States won in Vietnam, and the Soviets in Afghanistan.

No, it is the new American spelling,
especially imported from Mexico !!
VBG Alan, in Gosnells, Western Oz. VK6 YAB VKS 737 - W 6174