Correct American terminology

Sure, but what would you term a "locomotive engineer"?

The posting I commented on said: "Engine driver = Engineer." without further comment or context. (UK) Engine driver translates to (US) Engineer, but (US) Engineer does not translate to (UK) Engine driver, it translates to Engineer unless you specify the context. Therefore, while the statement will make sense to any yank, it may well be confusing to everyone else.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg.P.

"Greg.P." skrev i meddelandet news:eesn4n$amu$ snipped-for-privacy@lust.ihug.co.nz...

Not really Greg, historically anyone could call themselves an engineer ie military or civil ( from the railway era!) Old Stephenson hisself werent nay eddicated suvvern layabout (sorry for the rendering of a Northern dialect!) a doctor historically (medical) was half the time an ignorant homicidally enthusiastic maniac and as for the legal proffession....well..... as sober a a judge was a very sarcastic term considering the amount of English judges who collapsed under the desk during trials due to acute drunkeness, WE both know what he meant so why nitpick on a genuine railway discussion, far better to call Blair and Bush for what they are and enjoy the resultant OT argument than to sour a good thread filled with interesting and educational snippets.

Beowulf

If Bush is so clever how come he invaded Iraq when Bin Laden is a Saudi Arabian from the Yemen?

Reply to
Beowulf

"Greg.P." skrev i meddelandet news:eesnjr$bcm$ snipped-for-privacy@lust.ihug.co.nz...

Or the original layout for "Llanfair" (shortened version of the name!) in Wales which the railway let burn down rather than put it out so that they could later rebuuild it intelligently :) Beowulf

Reply to
Beowulf

Aren't they all?

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg.P.

Industrial complexes.

Reply to
Greg.P.

Such things only have to exist _once_ to be modelable, not be the average or normal arrangement.

Reply to
Greg.P.

I made one simple nitpicking comment and I get jumped on by numerous incompetent pedants. I'm not including you there :-)

far better to call Blair and Bush for what

The respondees to my Bush/Blair comments (elsewhere) are even more wallyish than ...

I'm sure OBL is installed in a Manhatten penthouse close to the medical care he needs. Either that or he's in Cuba getting real medical attention.

Reply to
Greg.P.

I've got the long name on a railway ticket somewhere. It's a longer than normal ticket. I wondered why the major change in track layout there.

Reply to
Greg.P.

I don't have any problem with your sig. or it's format. Perhaps Ray should leave.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg.P.

I'd have to start lying, stop and then start lying again to achieve that.

Reply to
Greg.P.

Mine, with the full name, was issued in the 1990s.

Reply to
Greg.P.

Agreed. 8^)

Reply to
Greg.P.

If they put back the London North Western Railway with Webb's compounds I'D be a tourist!!!

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg.P.

The drivers would probably suicide.., they were very strange to drive with their uncoupled axles:( ie both sets of drivers could rotate in opposite directions... theres a Loco parked outside of Leighton Buzzard station if you want to look one over :) Beowulf

Reply to
BEOWULF

Watch the wrap round - this URL is huge :-)

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

Greg.P. spake thus:

"Coronel"? Is that another quaint Kiwi idea of how we spell "colonel"? Asking because you spelled (spelt) it that way *twice*.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

There's a real Leighton Buzzard? I thought that was in Peter Denny's(?) imagination.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg.P.

Watched a John Wayne movie (from bottom shelf of the Video Shop) last night. Wayne's character was the Army coronel leading a bunch of Northern soldiers through the South during US civil war.

Coronel to Southern Belle; "I'm a railroad engineer." Southern Belle; "I'm just so amazed how you big men can steer those great hunks of steaming ... the way you do!" (possibly some inuendo there) Coronel; (missing inuendo) "No, I don't drive the engines, I build the railroad tracks."

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg.P.

No, it is the new American spelling,

especially imported from Mexico !!

VBG Alan, in Gosnells, Western Oz. VK6 YAB VKS 737 - W 6174

Reply to
alan200

I normally don't spell it - knew I had it wrong - thanks for the correction!

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg.P.