Hope Springs Eternal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/THREE-RARE-TETSUDO-MOKEISHA-BRASS-MODEL-RAILROAD-TRAINS_W0QQitemZ230341723537QQihZ013QQcategoryZ78178QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Do I hear three dollars? Two fifty?
Hello?
On 5/7/2009 12:54 PM Twibil spake thus:

http://cgi.ebay.com/THREE-RARE-TETSUDO-MOKEISHA-BRASS-MODEL-RAILROAD-TRAINS_W0QQitemZ230341723537QQihZ013QQcategoryZ78178QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
A starting bid of $119? WTF?!?!?
I would have started it at $1.19 (I love to start eBay auctions at odd amounts and place odd-amount bids--most people don't even realize you can do this and just bid in even dollar amounts). Too bad; the cars, incomplete though they may be, actually look pretty nice. I'd top your high bid there.
--
Save the Planet
Kill Yourself

Actually, at the time I posted here the bidding was listed as starting at $319.00, and the seller seems to have half-way sobered up in the interim.
Only one more half to go.
~Pete
On 5/7/2009 4:38 PM Twibil spake thus:

Heh; check out the auction now. I sent the seller a message, and they not only replied but posted my message on the auction, so maybe they're not all bad.
--
Save the Planet
Kill Yourself

I just did. And *you* had better also!
There's a claim posted there that you're about to be suspended from eBay for manufacturing fraudulent feedback, and that "these Trains are RARE!"

We've had our differences, Dave, but I sort of doubt that you've been faking your own eBay feedback ratings.
I suspect the seller is sending himself faked questions and answering them as well, so if you *aren't* about to be suspended from eBay I'd get in touch with them muy pronto and get that auction pulled.
~Pete
On 5/7/2009 7:08 PM Twibil spake thus:

Thanks for the heads-up. I saw that new message on the auction just before I saw your post.
At this point, I'm going by the assumption that the seller posted that message, and that they're just bluffing about trying to have me suspended, as a way of refuting what I said in the comment of mine that they posted. I'm not too worried about actually being suspended, but I fired off a message to eBay customer support just in case.
All of which begs the question: why the hell did they post my comment in the first place?
--
Save the Planet
Kill Yourself

See "unbalanced person", in my post above ^.
~Pete
The saga continues....
Just called eBay customer support and informed them that the seller is manufacturing his own fictional questions and answers.
They took a look at the auction and agreed that the 2nd question was indeed manufactured to suit the seller, and demonstrated that it *must* be the case because the seller replies "I've just heard back from eBay about his imminent suspension", and that's an outright lie: according to eBay they *never* share any such information, and would be legally liable for damages if they did.
The guy I spoke to said he was forwarding the information on to their fraud division for action -possibly tomorrow. He also said that this was the first time he'd seen anyone try this particular scam, and he agreed that the seller wasn't too tightly wrapped.
I guess we'll see what -if anything- happens.
~Pete

Auction ended early.
This is really odd as the seller had 100% positive feedback and those feedbacks are current (27 last month). Either the seller really flipped their lid, aliens invaded their body or someone hijacked their account.
Brass my a$$ - photos clearly show that the coach is made of wood!
Even more bizarre is the fact that they have several other active listings. Some of the starting bids also seem to high to me. I also saw questions and replies posted in another listing and everything looked normal.
We live in a strange world full of strange people and I can say that even looking in the mirror. :-)
Peteski

Well, *that* was certainly prompt!

Hey! Me too!
Of course I'd be happier if I could see my reflection there.
~Pete

The boxcar is early Athearn. Sorta brass as very early Athern used brass sides with steel everywhere else, and a wood box for the basic car construction.
On second though that boxcar isn't Athearn. It appears to be paper sides. It might be Mantua as their very early stuff had paper sides with a brass plate the sides were glued to. The gon looks a little like this type of construction and might be Mantua also. He got the name from the one package he had. That package might be the couplers but I don't remember all the early couplers. It is possible that the cars were copied from early US designs which would make the cars _just_ post war.
Jon Miller wrote:

There were also Japanese kits with the same construction materials and techniques. I have a couple, which I will build Real Soon Now. Maybe I can then sell them on eBay as Really Rare Trains. ;-)
cheers,
wolf k.

The couplers in one of the shots looked to be Mantua.
Special Agent Melvin Purvis wrote:

They are Japanese couplers.
On 5/8/2009 12:22 AM snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com spake thus:

Heh; I should probably write eBay customer support back and tell them don't bother trying to figure out what this crazy sumbitch was trying to do.
--
Save the Planet
Kill Yourself

Boy, this has turned into something truly bizarre:
o I sent the seller a message, which they replied to and then posted on their auction. o I sent the seller another message giving him credit for posting the message. o I get another message from the seller, this time telling me "Your feedback is BOGUS. I am contacting Ebay to suspend you and Hal." o Puzzled, I shoot the seller another message telling them that I'm totally puzzled about this comment. o I check the auction again to see another comment posted there, apparently referring to me:
I wanted to warn you against the Ebayer who just asked a question: his feedback is manufactured and he is about get suspended for fraud. These trains are rare!
So this raises several questions:
1. Who posted that second message above? Was it perhaps the seller themself? 2. Why did the seller post my (negative) comment in the first place? 3. How does the person who posted that comment figure that my feedback is "manufactured"? (The last time I got feedback on *any* eBay transaction was way back in April of '07, and I can assure that all of my feedback was genuine: I have a 100% rating.) 4. Who the hell is Hal?
We'll see where this goes, and what comes of this attempt to have me "suspended for fraud". (?!?!?)
--
Save the Planet
Kill Yourself

Ah, I see you found it on your own...
My best guess is that you're dealing with an unbalanced person: possibly an alcoholic or drug abuser.
(A) The very strange original opening bid of $300+ -that suddenly changed to a less horrific but still irrational $100+, (B) the seemingly out-of-sequence and out-of-context Q&A replies, and (C) the fraudulent claims of your feedback ratings and your imminent defenistration from eBay all speak of someone who isn't tracking reality very well.
I'd contact eBay and point out their fraudulent claims if I were you. (BTW: I just posted them to back your claim that the cars are neither rare nor valuable. We'll see if they try something similar on me or just ignore the post completely...)
~Pete

So how much would you normally expect to pay for hope springs? Are the springs available in N as well as HO? -- Ray

Don't quit your day job: comedy writing is a cruel mistress.