Hope Springs Eternal.

On 5/12/2009 11:43 PM Ray Haddad spake thus:

You're not wanted 'round here, "mate". Shove off.

On Tue, 12 May 2009 23:54:08 -0700, David Nebenzahl

No. But thanks for asking.
Does this mean you revoke your concession and surrender? -- Ray
On 5/13/2009 12:18 PM Ray Haddad spake thus:

Getting the last word in != proving your stupid assertions.
Now go on and get the last word in, "mate".

On Wed, 13 May 2009 18:35:36 +1200, Steve Caple

Nobody gets tossed out of Oz - well, they consider anyone with Aboriginary or Asian ancestry to be nobody. Eay should be ok.
Greg.P. NZ

Yes, he can do something cultural, unlike you.
Regards, Greg.P.
On Fri, 29 May 2009 11:45:15 +1200, "Greg.Procter"

But you know nothing of culture. You're not qualified. Just because you've tasted yogurt doesn't mean you understand culture, mate. -- Ray

OK Ray, we'll take yoghurt as the example: - I make my own yoghurt. - This one will shock you: yoghurt made properly does not include sugar or imitation fruit flavourings.
BTW, yes I am qualified in some aspects of culture, having studied it at university and having lived and experienced it first-hand for much of my life.
Regards, Greg.P.

Virtually everyone on the planet can say they've lived it - All of their life.

Well, yes, but I hope I haven't lived _all_ my life just yet, I have some projects I'd like to finish =8^O

Well, yes, but I hope I haven't lived _all_ my life just yet, I have some projects I'd like to finish =8^O
==================================================If all it takes is unfinished projects, I've got another 66! :o)
Greg.Procter wrote:

Depends on the culture you've lived within. If, for example, you live in the US, then you can say you experienced US culture first hand. However, regardless of how much of it you lived, you may not be able to define US culture. University study + life does not make you an expert by any means. You need to experience OTHER cultures, become immersed in them, compare them to your own. Once you have a decent comparative base and have analysed your own culture within a world context, then you can call yourself qualified.
Krypsis
On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 00:16:51 +1200, Krypsis

On that basis I might well qualify, but I still consider myself a beginner. I can't imagine in what Ray can consider himself to be superior, other than in ignorance stakes.
Regards, Greg.P.

Not quite since there are so many different cultures just within the United States.
Growing up and living most of my life in New Orleans is nothing like the year I spent in Tampa or any of the 100's of cities and towns I've visited in the US.
However, the week I spent in Montreal was the closest "I've" felt to New Orleans.

To what?

There's a joke about that.
An American big-band hires a new guitatist who's only recently emigrated to the US from the Balkans, and the band leader asks him if he thinks he can fit into a band that plays entirely American material.
The guitarist says "Sure! Just give me the downbeat on the one and the thirteen!"
(Probably not funny if you're not a musician...)
~Pete
On 5/28/2009 6:15 PM Twibil spake thus:

Heh. Not bad.
Looking through some of the music we used to play, I see one piece, a Bulgarian dance (Smeseno Horo) in 33 (no shit!): 2+2+2+2+3+2+2+3+3+3+2+3+2+2. (Since it's basically all 2s and 3s, Balkan musicians don't really need to be able to count past 3. And many can't.)
Most of them are a lot simpler: many in 7 (rachenitsa: 3+2+2), 5 (paidushko: 2+3) or 9 (2+2+2+3 or 2+2+3+2).

No, it means a lot.
But only if you have a sense of honor.

At $21.95

Still high, but within the range of sanity.
I suspect somebody got a wake-up call from eBay.
~Pete