Loco driving wheels?

Hi all, who produces and supplies OO (and TT) driving wheels these days? Preferably RP25 profile, not P4.

I found the Romford people. Their prices seem amazingly high, compared to shops offering Romford!

(HO L&YR Radial 2-4-2T on CAD near to being started. I'm actually doing something :-)

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Sorry, his was meant for the UK group. Are there any US steam loco wheel manufacturers?

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

On 12/31/2010 7:00 PM Greg Procter spake thus:

Hmm; I was going to suggest NWSL (NorthWest Short Line), but it seems all they have are wheels for diseasels:

You might try contacting them to see if they know any other manufacturers.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Some them lasted into the 1950s, correct?

Reply to
Roger Traviss

try:

Mantua, AHM, and MDC parts list include steam loco wheels. Use Find on "wheel" for a quicker search. Sizes are quoted for 1:87 scale, multiply by 76/87 to get the OO size.

HTH Wolf K.

Reply to
Wolf K

On 1/1/2011 8:18 AM Wolf K spake thus:

So Bowser's still alive and kicking, eh? Good to know; I had assumed they'd gone out of business a few years ago.

The thing I kick myself the hardest for is not buying a bunch of their steam loco kits (now discontinued) when I had the chance and the $$$. It seems unlikely that anyone else is likely to take over this line and restart production, though anything is possible, I guess. I had my eye on their PRR Mikado ...

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

On 01/01/2011 5:29 PM, David Nebenzahl wrote: [...]

[...]

They no longer make steam loco kits, have reinvented themselves as makers of mid-to high quality plastic RTR, also do custom manufacturing.

I believe they still have some parts for their steam kits, if you need a few bits, but you'd have to write to them about that.

HTH Wolf K.

Reply to
Wolf K

On 1/1/2011 3:18 PM Wolf K spake thus:

Well, ackshooly, they have a lot of parts still available for their steam loco kits (HO), including superdetail kits:

Unfortunately for the O.P., they say "The first items that will run out are drivers."

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Found them long ago - love their Sagami motors and theor range of gearboxes!

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Err, can't remember a precise date but I think 1956.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

I'm modelling in HO. For OO the British manufacturers have most sizes and even specific locos covered. My problem is to get the right number of spokes for British HO. US wheels tend to have less spokes for a given diameter.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

On 12/31/2010 6:57 PM Greg Procter spake thus:

Have you considered scratchbuilding them?

I wouldn't suggest this to most folks, but I seem to remember you talking about having a rather extensive background in machining. I'm looking at an article on the subject in the December 1998 /Mainline Modeler/ by Glenn Farley, showing how he made his own drivers in brass (HO).

Fascinating process: instead of creating a pattern directly, he machined a *die* from ABS rod, using his milling machine. This allowed him to cut the spokes with a rotary cutter. He then cast his pattern in body putty. After further processing involving a 2-part mold, he had the drivers cast; this is the only part of the process he didn't actually do himself. Then he machined tires separately and press-fit them onto the drivers, just like the real thing.

Sure wish I had a scan of this article, as it's quite impressive.

The drivers, by the way, were beautiful, judging from his photographs.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I have considered scratchbuilding them, but I'd prefer to save time by buying them if they exist. :-)

No, I haven't seen the magazine article - assuming that's a US mag I've not heard of. There's a UK "Mainline Modeller" (or something similar) but I live outside a small city at the end of civilization and we don't see many mags. I already subscribe to 3 different titles. There are numerous ways to end up with a die/mold and I have the gear (CNC mill and rotary table) to go straight there. :-) It's a bit like minting my own coins, I could do it but if I can get them with a swift wave of the credit card why bother. ;-)

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter