New model railroad software

I think it was pretty clear you were indicating monetary compensation.

Why bring it up, otherwise?

Mike Tennent "IronPenguin"

Reply to
Mike Tennent

David P Harris

Thanks David!

The 3D you get is what Linn Westcott put there, isn't that enough?

Reply to
Jim

I'm planning to give a free copy to anyone who submits useful test results.

-- Jim

Reply to
Jim

My screen messed up when I zoomed in too far. The screen was smeared and stopped drawing. The train continued as the scrolling was happening, but the train was not redrawn. If I unzoomed, then things fixed themselves. I assume that tunnels leading to "A" and "B" will teleport us to that part of the layout?

David

Reply to
David P Harris

When you zoom in too far it wants more memory than is available. The limit on zooming is not based on how much memory you have, which it should be, but it's based on some arbitrary maximum zooming factor. When you run out of memory, all sorts of things get weird. We'll do something about it.

Tunnels work like regular track, except the train becomes a ghost as it moves through. Multi-level layouts are a different matter, a problem yet to be solved (but we have some ideas). So in some cases, where the train is supposed to disappear to some hidden staging yard, it just bounces back instead.

So many problems, so little time.

-- Jim

Reply to
Jim

No Mike, if I test someone's software I would like to get something for my trouble, seeing as how the uninstall was non-functional at the time. As I said when we tested XP when I was at intel we got software from MS. He has repaired the uninstall problem, ok fine that's done. I tried it out, I didn't care for it, but I never expected it to be so buggy at the time. I brought it up because I wanted to air a gripe, that's done. Lets drop this as it is counter productive to anything............

John

Reply to
John Franklin

Sure, everyone would LIKE to... but did you really expect to get something of value for testing this software?

Reply to
Mark Mathu

Yeah working software. If you recall the original poster came to us for beta testing, I did not approach him. If it wasn't ready for prime time it should NOT have been put up on the net for us to hassle with. END of STORY!!! Geeeeez

Reply to
John Franklin

Hi Jim, I used to work in tech support. I found it generally more palatable to tell the user "I wouldn't have expected that" instead of the more accusational "I find this hard to believe"... :-)

Anyway as a test I deleted TP from my system (Win2K fully up to date with respect to MS Update) and reinstalled. I am using TP_DEMO_10.exe 5,260,288 bytes.

Experiment One:

In the install to directory box I entered:

C:\Additional Program Files\TrainPlayer

and the program still tried to install into C:\Program Files\TrainPlayer (note that C:\Additional Program Files does already exist on my system).

Experiment Two:

In the install to directory box I entered:

C:\Additinal Program Files\TP

and again it tried to install in C:\Program Files\TrainPlayer

Experiment Three:

(I believe this is what happened as described in the first message)

In the install to directory box I first selected "Change" and navigated to C:Additional Program Files. I then clicked 'OK' and appended TP to the path displayed in the directory box. So it now read C:\Additional Program Files\TP. I clicked install and it installed the files into C:\Additional Program Files. You may find this hard to believe but it is reproducible at will on my machine.

Note that in experiments one and two it did prompt and say that the directory does not exist and should it be created. In experiment three it did not.

Note also that in experiment three as you noted the uninstaller will delete everything in Additional Program Files and all subdirectories. On my system I reserve Prorgam Files for software from Microsoft. Everything else goes under Additional Program Files.

Hope this helps.

---john.

Reply to
John Haskey

It turns out that gdiplus.dll does exist on my system in:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Ink

likely from an installation of MS Office or something. I also found it online and downloaded a copy and put it in the TrainPlayer directory. It then ran fine. Looks like a fun program!

---john.

Reply to
John Haskey

Thanks, we'll look into it.