Something you don't see everyday

Are the B 17, B 24 and B 25 flying in O.D. and Neutral Gray or natural metal finish? Regards, Bill.

Reply to
William Pearce

Not a response to the specific question, but as for the ones I've seen:

The CAF "FIFI" B-29 is in natural metal finish, as were most of those in service.

The Collings B-17G (a late model with the chin turret) is in the common Olive Drab top, light gray bottom scheme, and painted to represent "Nine O Nine".

The Collings B-24J (also a late model) is in natural metal finish, with elaborate "Dragon and His Tail" artwork all along the right side.

A couple other comments:

While the B-24 is a considerably larger plane than the B-17, there is less crew space inside it. It's downright cramped, in fact. Most of the plane is just a huge bomb bay, which is much larger than that of the B-17. The B-17 was an airplane that could drop bombs ... the B-24 was a bomb carrying 'truck' that could fly. The B-24 was an excellent bomber, fast, long ranged, and with a high payload, but the crews usually preferred the B-17 which was 'tougher', more 'survivable', and easier to fly.

Dan Mitchell ==========

William Pearce wrote:

Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell

The plane I saw (and thought was a 29 but based on other comment might not be) was natural aluminum.

Reply to
Jon Miller