Ultimate digital caliper for modelers.

Ray Haddad spake thus:

Fuck off, "mate", you wannabe Austrayan.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Well, our southern textile industry would have been happy to supply the RUC with tested sheets and hoods, manufactured with all appropriate Calvinist hatered and self-righteousness.

Reply to
Steve Caple

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 14:06:45 -0800, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and David Nebenzahl instead replied:

Ah, the reply from someone who has lost the battle and has nothing of worth to write. Good one, mate.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

Steve Caple spake thus:

Yes, but did he really say that thing about water? something along the lines of "Water? Never drink the stuff. Fish f*ck in it."

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

"Roger Aultman" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@nconnect.net...

Royal Enfield Rifles havent been standard issue since the 60´s and the Ruger pistols were ...pistols, the police in Northern Ireland have always been armed and the Fire arm laws in the Uk refer mainly to civillian useage not military or police useage, the UK policeforces regularly use firearms against armed villains (crooks) but beat coppers do not requiere arms atall, in fact batons (Truncheons) are optional for them , they can and often do refuse to carry them. The pistols the RUC needed were pistols not rifles, and considering how heavily armed an american policeman is armed dont you think that refusing their sale to an allied nation whilst selling anti aircraft missiles to the Taliban is just a little hypocritical?

Beowulf

Reply to
Peter Forden

Salvé

Dear Steve, I assume you think that the RUC is entirely Protestant, well it isnt, there is a healthy sprinkling of RC's who have dared to join it against the will of the communist terrorists such as the provos and they live in daily fear of being assassinated or having their children murdered, as has unfortunately happened only too often in the past, your KKK peopel would find like minded people amongst the rank and file of the provo's who just like to maim , injure and terrorise, and I thank you for shewing that you identify with the terrorists , I do hope your FBI take note, tho as you are probably not from the middle east they more than likely wont. beowulf

Reply to
Peter Forden

I rather think the provos were to a degree engendered by the actions of those Paisleyite (and worse) members of the RUC.

Shame! You sound like Karl Rove or a 1950s McCarthyite. I have no brief for the Provos or for any armed wing of the IRA,and have never given them a dime. But I think the worst things ever happened to Ireland were The Catholic Church, the English, and the introduction of pinch-souledScots Calvinists tossed of their own lands by greedy English allied "nobility".

Reply to
Steve Caple

I was thinking of the Enfield revolvers, perhaps they are no longer produced. I never witnesed sales of anti aircraft missiles to the Taliban, though I will take your word for it. Roger

Reply to
Roger Aultman

Salvé "Steve Caple" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@40tude.net...

Dear Steve, Your ignorance of the situation in Ulster is not suprising to me, however you should know in your little racist tirade that the Scots people originate from Ulster, hence the latin name for Ulster "SCOTIA"( ie Land of the Scots) when the Romans extreminated half the population of Caledonia (Known as Caleds the half were known as Picts)through starvation the Scots migrated to what is now known as Scotland and laid claim to the empty lands once ruled by the Caleds, they created a nation known as dal Riada which lasted to I believe circa 1200 and later became known as we know it today Scotland, the fact that the scots never completely left Ulster which has never politically been a part of Ireland (A completely seperate race of celts) the fact that the Irish have waged war for 2500 years in order to exterminate the Ulster people,(scots) the fact that the Normans in the 11/1200´s tired of Irish slave and pirate raids on the English and Welsh coasts and invaded, the fact that you dont know these things but are content to utter ignorant opinions doesnt suprise me in the least, the English (who didnt exist as a people before 1300!) inherited Ireland in a manner of speaking because its high King had sworn fealty to a norman King and then another High King later broke this trust (treaty if you prefer)and under the norms of the day started a war with England, not the English starting a war with the Irish, Irealise that for an american the irish are all romantic wee fellows with crooked sticks and fairies on the brain, a fact which would suprise and irritate many Irish, who are fast becoming one of Europes most modern countries,I myself am part Irish and part Scot and am proud of both heritages , I dont particularly like the Orange or Black lodges, but if one has been in a war that has lasted so long then its not suprising that the both sides have a tendency to hate each other these days, I make allowances for that you apparently are to ill educated to make any allowance for anything. I dont intend to reply to any reply to this post I've no idea who Karl Rove is, an ameican politician I suspect, I've heard the name a few times but never been bothered enough to learn more about him , that his name in Swedish means arse says enough..... I'm not a McCarthyite, I've never hated anyone that much, and I hope I never shall. As a last little piece of knowledge for you The scots people have in one way and another been in Ulster for c9000 years whereas the Irish have been in Ireland for only 2500 years so I think we can guess who is in the right in the war over the rights to Ulster. The fact is thát the Irish Problem is complex, its history far more complex than you can even believe, its a race war thee days with the Irish being the villains and the Ulster people wanting only peace and never getting it thanks to americans sending money to the IRA, thanks to the USA government supporting the IRA and giving them a safe haven in the USA, I pray that that policy wont backfire, but I can bet you it will and you'll be having a Belfast situation in downtown Chicago or New York or L.A. Valé Beowulf

Reply to
Peter Forden

Peter Forden spake thus (responding to Steve Caple):

  1. Learn to use punctuation. Your sentences go on and on and on ...
  2. Learn to break up your prose into paragraphs: reading your messages is like trying to read chunks of concrete.
  3. What the hell does "Vale" mean?
  4. Since when did the U.S. give aid and comfort to the IRA? As I remember it, we (the U.S. government, officially), had them pegged as "terrorists".
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

David Nebenzahl wrote in news:45d6580c$0$6822$ snipped-for-privacy@news.adtechcomputers.com:

(google for "salutation Vale"):

--> The Romans applied

--> Salve! "Be in health!" especially to meeting, and

--> Vale! "Be well!" to parting.

Well, I think I will mosey along over to one of the moderated web forums: maybe

or maybe
It has been an - umm - "interesting" experience. At least it has helped me decided that I have to break a 15-16 year old habit and just give up on unmoderated newsgroups. Seems Dave (Fischer) was right when he in a memorable quote labelled '93 as "the year September never ended" :-)

Anyways - live long and prosper! Have fun!

Grin, Stein

Reply to
Stein R

The gnat's piss probably tastes better.

Yeah, I agree 100% on that, too. Monteith is a good NZ beer that can be found in some of the better bottle shops here.

Reply to
Mark Newton

Small brewer taken over by big (relative) brewer, but they've had the sense to keep brewery and team together!

Reply to
Greg Procter

Imperial measure has roots probably back to Pharaohic Egypt as well as Babylon and ancient India. Many of these measures were designed mathematically to have a large number of even dividers. I'm not sure about measures like the cubit, but I'd imagine that in use it was divided and multiplied by values that gave a lot of even divisors also.

Certainly our clock, with its hours, minutes, and seconds, has these properties.

When ancient engineers worked on early gearing, they needed to be able to use evenly divided circles. In fact, they needed to use circles that could be divided using only the classical dividers and straightedge.

This, rather than a barleycorn, someone's foot, or someone's arm, were the justifications for the Imperial measurement systems.

On the other hand, 10 as a basis is obviously anthromorphic - and not very useful; try using a compass and straightedge and dividing a circle into ten equal parts. Now do the same thing for twelve parts.

On topic though, what is needed is digital calipers and digital micrometers that allow more than just selection of metric or imperial. They also need to allow setting of scaling factors. This would allow the readout to be given in any arbitrary scaled units.

More apt to be both useful and achievable would be a set of gauges for thicknesses, widths, and diameters. Along with this would be gauges for screws and bolt heads, although they would be much harder to produce.

By the way, what is the 1:75 scale model a model of? If it is early 20th century motive power or rolling stock, it would most likely be a model of an American made unit. Which means that the original was built in Imperial units. So, all of the metric dimensions you have are a conversion to begin with. It's one thing if the manufacturer gives dimensions in 1:75th scale, but if they list the prototype dimensions in Metric, I'd say they have created a real problem. On the other hand, if they list only scale dimensions, all that is needed is a Metric reading caliper or micrometer.

Reply to
Alan Haisley

On numerous occasions, usually prefaced by snide remarks about "slot cars".

Here we go - Greg starts ducking and weaving. We haven't been at cross purposes. You've made assertions about both the rules and their safety.

Yes, you have, on numerous occasions.

No Greg, I *KNOW* you're inexperienced - both by your own admission and by the nonsense you've posted here.

Even if that were the case, I'd still have way more than you. But my operating experience is "limited" to the entire standard gauge network in Australi, using every safeworking system we use here. I've had a bit of a play in other countries, including NZ and Germany. Where did you say you'd run trains, again?

Reply to
Mark Newton

That was in regard to _DCC_ Model_ railway operation. There's quite a major difference between _model_ railways and _prototype_ railway (operation).

Obviously you don't comprehend the difference between models and the prototype.

So you reckon we're on equal footing - fair enough.

You're still avoiding my entire point that DCC is about operating a single train on a model railroad, not about operating (or simulating operation) of a railway/railroad.

I don't need to be a Cordon Bleu chef to appreciate food, a brewer to appreciate beer, a concert pianist to appreciate music, a Renoir to appreciate art, etc.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Ducking and weaving, yet again. When I, and others, have stated that DCC is ideally suited to emulating a particular style of prototypical operation, your response has been to slag that style of operation off as "running slot cars". There *is* a major difference between model railways operation and prototype railway operation - a difference you haven't grasped.

Pig's arse I don't. If anyone has that problem, it'd be you, attempting to apply your limited understanding of German procedures across the board...

No. You're a dilettante, I'm a professional. Nothing equal about it.

You point is not worth responding too, it's a load of utter bullshit. It's been demonstrated time and time agin that DCC can simulate the operation of an entire railroad, and in a manner that is far more realistic than your Heath-Robinson gadgetry could ever manage. But a combination of willful ignorance, arrogance and bias prevents you from ever understanding that, let alone acknowledging it.

No you don't, but you'd want to be all of these things if you wanted your criticisms to be taken seriously...

Reply to
Mark Newton

So much for honesty. You're a barefaced liar - I've *NEVER EVER* made such a statement, either in those words or by implication.

The paucity of your argument is continually underlined by your lies and distortions.

As others have noted in relation to "curt", replying to trolls only encourages them. I should have heeded their advice ages ago, and ignored you both. Still, it's never too late.

Reply to
Mark Newton

That is the sort of statement that I have been arguing against. When you weigh in against my responses you are in effect saying/supporting those statements. You're a barefaced liar - you have made such a statement, either in those words or by implication. (as you may be able to discern, I've cut and pasted your obnoxious accusation and adjusted the grammar to suit the reversed sentiment)

Good, so Mark the Troll is going to clam up - about time!

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter