Ultimate digital caliper for modelers.

I tend to do my most productive modelling well away from the computer!

Scale conversions on a sheet of paper using a calculator or slide rule, with description, proto imperial dimension, prototype metric and then scale metric, scale inch and scale fraction, with only the columns I'm likely to use completed.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Greg Procter spake thus:

Whoa. Stop right there. You're the first to mention this tool: why haven't others thought of it? Well, of course, I know why: it's considered totally obsolete.

But what an elegant solution: learn to use a slide rule. Fast, simple, and plenty close enough. (I still have a couple around here from school daze long ago.)

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Slide rule? Obsolete? Well, as I'm working in just one scale (at any given moment) I set the conversion scale just once and read off any decimal figure quickly. I can even set prototype inches to scale millimeters and save hundreds of key presses required of the modern calculator!

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Hey, I mentioned 'em. Two in fact. I called them slipsticks - what's your engineering slang for them?

Reply to
Wolf

Some vendors supply plastic "slip sticks" that are used to calculate a varity of things, weight of a chunk of metal, number of cement blocks in wall, yards of concrete in a floor. You enter the dimensions and they read directly in the units you are looking for. I have a bunch of them I have collected over the years and they are a lot faster to use than any computer.

John

Reply to
john

Wolf spake thus:

Since I'm guessing that's a Canuck term, I missed that.

Never got far enough into engineering to learn the nerd slang for slide rule. Any 'Merkin terms?

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Slipstick

Reply to
Val

I'd never heard it here in New Zealand.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

I think I first saw the term in a Robert Heinlein novel, long before I got to the point in school of actually using one. Just about that time, the pocket calculator came out.

A few relevant links

Val

Reply to
Val

ah yes, slipstick libby. saves the family, gets hit by a meteor and dies, then get revived and becomes a woman.

That IS a merkin term. I think I still have a Log Log Decitrig Duplex tucked away in its leather scabbard in a drawer in the back room.

Reply to
Steve Caple

Actually, before I had one I used a little booklet of 5 place logs to speed up calculations. Best of all was a 15 place Kurta peppermill.

Reply to
Steve Caple

I've often thought of placing my old slide rule in a small wood frame with a glass cover and a little hammer on a chain, near the computer - "In case of power failure, ..."

Reply to
Steve Caple

Ah yes, that's a serious tool!

Reply to
Wolf

When I was at DePauw U. the Dean of Men was named Wedge - giving rise to continuing remarks that a wedge is the simplest of tools.

Reply to
Steve Caple

Steve Caple wrote in news:1po5u5wslt1av$.12myfku2xzzbo$. snipped-for-privacy@40tude.net:

Yeah. as a rally navigator, I used a peppermill . It was a great step forward over a slipstick. It was more compact and in a Mini Cooper, one needed all tha space one could get.

Reply to
Jungle Jim

I still have my Stevens Rally Calculator circular slide rule, but the Halda Twinmaster is long gone. Wasn't a lot of extra room in an Alfa, either.

Reply to
Steve Caple

According to David Nebenzahl :

[ ... ]

I grew up calling them that same term -- and I grew up in South Texas. It *is* an American term (at least), and probably in several other English-speaking cultures as well.

As a matter of fact, the (supposed) MIT football cheer (from at least as far back as the late 1950s) went:

E to the X dU dX E to the X dX Secant, Tangent, Cosine, Sine 3.14159 Square Root of the Integral of dUV Slipstick Sliderule MIT

(The minor fact that MIT never had had a football team does not negate the cheer. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Nope -- *that* is what you do with an Abacus (Chinese) or Soroban (Japanese). I have one of each. Those are also digital computers. (You can even see the bits. :-)

The slipstick is an analog computer. :-)

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

DoN. Nichols spake thus:

No, but they had ... wait for it ... veering back on-topic (oh, no!): a hell of a model railroad club!

Reply to
David Nebenzahl