Ultimate digital caliper for modelers.

Greg doesn't like the US because we won't buy his tired, worn out, old sheep so he can buy some fresh companionship.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

More likely envy than hate. Roger Aultman

Reply to
Roger Aultman

Please don't judge us by the actions of our government. Even if "we" had legally elected the Shrub, it would have been by a very small margin. Not a rousing mandate from the people. At least almost half of us who voted voted against him. More disturbing to me is the large numbers of people who didn't vote at all - they've given up (perhaps justifyably)trying to influence the government.

And Shrub only got into office the first time via a vote of the US Supreme Court, not a vote of the people. The second time was a little more legit, but I blame that on the known tendency, at least in the US, of not changing horses in midstream (i.e. don't change presidents in the middle of a war). Not a tendency I agree with, but it does exist.

I do wonder if other governments, including yours, would or would not act as arrogantly as ours does if they had the power to do so. History seems to indicate that they would.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Hmmmm,

- I don't care one way or the other about the USa - it's a big foreign country a little less than half way around the world from me and as such largely irrelevant.

- I like many of the yanks I've met individually, we seem to have much in common.

- I dislike the rudeness and obnoxiousness of idiots like you Paul, who trys to change a discussion into a personal attack.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

That sounds like unreasoning stupidity - you don't have anything to envy.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Greg Procter spake thus:

Yeah, it did seem a bit uncalled-for. Shoot, I've had my disagreements with you, and haven't hesitated to call you names, but I don't see the point of throwing a sucker punch out of the blue.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Right now you're judging yourselves ;-) The rest of us aren't up close so we judge the overall picture. If you come to New Zealand 99.9% of New Zealanders would judge you as an individual. In places like Turkey I think it's different judging by the fact that we have to keep explaining that we're not from the USa.

Perhaps if you stopped claiming to be a democratic nation? ;-)))

Tough call!

- we (New Zealand) hitched ourselves to Britain/Australia for our first century and then the US since WWII. As such we maintained our British arrogance.

- we cut some of the ties to Britain after our troops (also Australia) were used as the spearhead at Galipoli during WWI.

- We cut some of our ties to the USa after Vietnam and then further over the US stupidity/arrogance of nuclear armaments in the early 80s.

- With 4 million people we're too small to maintain any real level of arrogance - we actually have to figure out how to co-exist with the rest of the world.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

There's no point in having discussions where we all agree with each other - I'm sure I could find a needlepoint or crochet group locally if that was what I wanted. ;-) OTOH my sexual preferences (100% straight) racial derivation and bravery or otherwise under fire seem to me to be irrelevant to the subject of model railways. I'd perhaps accept that cultural background might be relevant, given our past disagreements =8^)

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 07:53:20 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Greg Procter instead replied:

And here I was believing that you were about to give up on personal attacks here, Greg.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

I was responding to Roger Aultmann's line: "> >> More likely envy than hate."

It's a line that is frequently trotted out by yanks and I can only imagine that it stems from your brainwashing - it certainly merits my description of "unreasoning stupidity", or can you come up with some reasoned justificationin support of it? Not just something that satisfies you, but something, anything that might cause me envy?

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 09:24:00 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Greg Procter instead replied:

Greg, you decried the personal attacks in a post and then did it yourself. You got caught. Stop trying to weasel out of it by making yet another personal attack on me. That's your style, mate. It's what you do. Denying it or stating that you don't like it and then doing it yourself has a name.

Hypocrisy.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

Show me where I've ever made a personal attack other than in response to a personal attack initiated by others, yourself included.

"That sounds like unreasoning stupidity" is a comment relating to the post, not an attack on the poster. "you don't have anything to envy." is a statement which I believe to be true in as much as Roger's response was to me and therefore begs a comparison between the USa and New Zealand. It certainly seems to deserve the "unreasoning" label which in turn deserves the "stupidity" label.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

This brings to mind my cousins quote when she was teased about being of Luxenbourger descent. "There are those who are and those who wish they were". Roger Aultman (one n)

Greg Procter wrote:

Reply to
Roger Aultman

Greg admitted his reasons for hating the US long ago. He doesn't like some trade agreement which, apparently, disallows him from selling his mutton to the US.

Greg often changes the discussion, OT or not, to suit his political agenda, which can be summed up as, "the USA is evil".

The disccusion was about "weird puritan hang-ups about politicians and sex". Greg took the opportunity to go off on one of his "hate the US" rants. Greg likes to "judge" the US, after all, we won't buy his tired old sheep.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 09:39:37 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Greg Procter instead replied:

A personal attack is a personal attack whether it's by origin or in reply. You don't get it, do you? People here laugh at you when you moan about others attacking you while you do it yourself in the very next post you make.

You can't have it both ways, Greg. Either you demonstrate what you preach or give it up. There's nothing at all wrong with a personal attack. This newsgroup and many others are inhabited by (guess what?) persons who sometimes get up each others' noses. It goes with having an opinion. What is laughable is your attempt to squelch anyone who disagrees with you by calling it a "personal attack" until you disagree with someone and make a personal attack.

I'm absolutely positive that you won't have a clue or even a glimmering of understanding of this concept but the fact is all you have to do is stop using that nonsense in an attempt to stifle disagreement while you do it yourself to (guess what?) stifle anyone who disagrees with you.

Here's a clue for you, mate. Don't be a contentious idiot and you won't suffer personal attacks. Get it?

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

You also invade sovereign nations and you use your political power to gain advantage at the cost to those against whom you interfere.

Please get it into your tiny mind - I, like most people, don't hate the USa, I hate what you do against other nations, including New Zealand. Is your mind big enough to comprehend the difference?

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

You don't get it, do you? My replies may well return personal attacks in response to personal attacks, but they also contain reasoned responses where there is something that can be reasoned with.

Of course there is something wrong with a personal attack that has no basis in fact.

Where is there _any_ reason in a comment like "More likely envy than hate."?

You keep on with these comments such as 'hating the USa' and 'Envy'. They are plain unreasoning stupidity.

So I shouldn't argue against unreasoning acceptance of DCC hype? even when the beginner might be better off with simpler, cheaper and less trouble prone DC?

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 10:14:25 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Greg Procter instead replied:

Oh, I get it, Greg. So do most others here. You cannot moan about personal attacks when you do them. No matter the reason. You can't justify personal attacks for you while declaring them unreasonable for someone else. That's just plain stupid and hypocritical. Is that what you want others to see you as? Remember, nobody here can sit down and get to know the real Greg Procter. All we see is what you present. You might be the nicest guy on the planet but you sure don't put that image forward here.

The image of Greg that I see is one of a hypocritical crybaby who pretends to know it all but really doesn't know much at all.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

Well, if he'd just dose up those sheep with antibiotics and growth hormones, maybe then they'd let the meat in.

Reply to
Steve Caple

Of course I can. You as a yank surely understand the concept of defence?

Where are these personal attacks you claim come from me? Go back and analyse them and you'll see they are responses relating to the comments posted, not to the poster.

Is that a personal attack or a statement relating to the point of discussion? I suggest you don't know the difference, even when I spell it out to you in the simplest of terms.

If anyone here is stupid enough to judge the quality of my advice purely on my responses to the likes of you then they don't deserve to receive useful advice.

Have you any idea of your own image here? Time after time you've responded to my attempts to give honest advice with derission and insults - I'm still responding to you in a rational manner - that should give others a good idea of my character.

I won't bother responding to that.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter