airbrushes / compressors

Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy a proper airbrush and compressor - a dual action type and a compressor.

I've done the humbrol / badger jar-on-the-bottom type brushes (suction type) but they just dump far too much paint on the model...

advice here is appreciated.

Craig

Reply to
Craig Douglas

Craig Douglas offered me a plate of cheese and whispered:

I have a Badger 200. It is a single action brush but it does everything that I've ever asked it to do. It is reliable and easy to clean. I'm sure the Badger twin action brushes will be just as good.

The compressor that I use is a Shesto Micon Orange. One odd thing about it is that it is a diaphragm compressor but it doesn't have a tank. Yet there is no pulsing of the supply like I've seen in other tankless compressors. Don't ask me how that works, but it does. The pressure is variable with a PRV that is included and I find that I can do fine, close-up work at very low pressure. I don't use a moisture trap, yet have never had any problems with moisture in the line. It is highly recommended

Enzo Matrix

"Enzo Matrix" wrote... > I have a Badger 200. It is a single action brush but it does everything

A Badger 150 does me fine. This is double action, but I have to admit to pretty much using it as if it was single action.

I use a Clarke Indy Air from Machine Mart, which was half the price of "proper" compressors. This is also a tankless diaphragm compressor, and it also doesn't pulse the air. My theory is that the air hose itself acts as a sort of reservoir. It has to be said that this isn't the quietest beast around. My usage is low, so I expect it to last a while, despite being imported by Clarke.

I do recommend a moisture trap, fairly close to the airbrush. I got fed up with water droplets in the paint finish, but that was using the airbrush outside. DON'T use the cheap nylon hose with a compressor, because it gets hot, melts and bursts. Guess how I know!! The braided hose is a must, even if it is a tad expensive.

Reply to
Paul Boyd

I'm not sure if you can get Aztec in the UK, but I switched to this from badger 200, and I'm really pleased with my choice after 12 months of use. This is a double action brush, which is almost second nature to use.

also use a compressor without a tank, and I've never had a problem. I really prefer using arcylic's, the Timaya range gives the best results for me, used with an arcylic thinner. Cleaning is the best a drop of windowlene run through the brush and it's clean.

Reply to
makemineadouble

I also use a compressor without a tank, and I've never had a problem.

Hannants now stock Aztec airbrushes.

neil.

Reply to
mumbles

Aztec is a good airbrush but check out Precision Paints for a compressor.

Go straight away for a silent type with tank, pressure control and water trap. If you get to doing a lot of painting you'll never look back.

Best of luck

Reply to
David Smith