Happy Anniversary, Mallard

"Greg Procter" wrote I've seen fish vans, meat vans, banana vans and even sausage vans, but who makes a model of an icecream van???

Bachmann did the Class 25 "Tamworth Castle" as a Lim Ed for Model Rail a few years back... It was in Ice Cream Van livery if that counts ??? :-)

Andy

Reply to
Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept.

I think Greg was referring to railway rather than road-going vehicles?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

I have a road-going Matchbox Lyons Maid ice cream van, complete with ice cream vendor.

Reply to
MartinS

I was hoping for an L&Y prototype! :-)

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

How do we survive without Lesney? :o(

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Glad You asked, it has intrigued me for ages.

Jim

Reply to
James Gardiner

That's the truth!

Reply to
Rob Kemp

"Greg Procter" wrote

Isn't it called the 'oil standard'? ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I'm not sure about the "standard(s)" bit.

Reply to
Greg Procter

No, well before DJH, perhaps Gem or K's. Of course when I find the thing it won't be in its original named box! Regards, Bill.

Reply to
William Pearce

A bit further OT, but still on the 'Mallard' theme, when 'Commonwealth of Australia' was scrapped, one of its nameplates, which I understand were the longest of any of the Dominion nameplates ended up in the NRM. The other was said to have been presented to the Aus. High Commissioner at Australia House for onward transmission to Australia. It apparently never left the U.K and seems to have disappeared. My guess is that it was on display at Aus. House for a few years and then was removed ( account redecorating the room or something) and stored down in the basement, wrapped in sacking. Over the years it has had old furniture, discarded diplomats, empty cans of VB etc. piled on top of it, and it's still there, waiting to be discovered. Or could someone have it on secret display in a locked vault? Come on now, confess, all will be forgiven! Regards, Bill.

"Enzo Matrix" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com...

Reply to
William Pearce

"William Pearce" wrote

The nameplates from 60012 were actually in two pieces. Combined into one nameplate I believe they were dimensionally the longest nameplates ever attached to any steam loco. There were, however, longer names (in terms of number of characters).

So go on - name them! :-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Pride of LlanfairPG" ? ;-)

Reply to
Richard

Apparently the non-ferrous foundry could not cast the 'Comm. of Aus.' plates in one length, so they were done in two pieces. Does anyone know the actual dimensions? I'd guess about 8 ft. long by 1 ft. wide (about 2500 by

300mm) Regards, Bill.

'Commonwealth

Reply to
William Pearce

According to the Green Bible Part 2A, all the A4 nameplates were 8" high, and the COMMONWEALTH OF AUSTRALIA plates were just over 10' long. They were in 2 parts, with the split just after the 'H'.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Illingworth

"John Turner" wrote

No-one took up the challenge, so here's one:-

V2 60835 was named *The Green Howard, Alexandra, Princess of Wales's of Yorkshire Regiment*

anyone come up with more letters in a loco name?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

37717 - St Margaret's Church of England Primary School City of Durham Railsafe Trophy Winners 1997
Reply to
Nigel Emery

Tim, Thanks for the info. on the size of 'Comm. of Aus's' name plates. Even in two halves, not the sort of thing one could stick under one's coat and sneak out of Australia House with. If the plates were 5/8 inch thick, each half plate would weigh almost 95 lbs. Regards, Bill.

Reply to
William Pearce

wrote

Nice one, I give up! :-)