Industrial action - location anyone?

Does anyone have any idea where this image of what appears to be two Andrew Barclay 0-4-0ST locomotives at work might have been made?

Any assistance gratefully appreciated.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

The shunt signal looks Scottish - it is by Stevens and Son and was of a type used by the NBR for one. Apart from that, I don't know. It's a pity the running signals and signal box are obscured by the smoke.

HTH

Alan

Don't reply to this e-mail address - messages will be deleted unread. To reply to me take away the news and substitute alanc

Reply to
Alan Norris

John,

Looks like a Caley ground signal in immediate foreground and possibly Caley lattice post signal through the smoke.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

: Looks like a Caley ground signal in immediate foreground and possibly : Caley lattice post signal through the smoke.

It's a very Scottish looking roof and chimney.

Ian :

Reply to
Ian Johnston

Ian,

I thought that too, with the sandstone construction and the type of chimney pots.

I've been trying to persuade myself that the footbridge seen dimly through the smoke is the Caledonian wooden type, but what I assume is a high signal box looks a bit more G&SW - the eaves don't look as protruding as a Caley one might be.

If it is Scotland, then it could be in Grouping or BR days since the foreground pointwork does not have interlaced timbering.

I assume the station is close to something like a coal mine and that the two pugs work wagons too and from the station on their own private track.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

It looks GSWR to me - even the scenery looks a bit Central/Southern Scotland.

Alan

Don't reply to this e-mail address - messages will be deleted unread. To reply to me take away the news and substitute alanc

Reply to
Alan Norris

"Alan Norris" wrote

I wondered whether it might not be Cumbria???

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I thought the same, John, as the signal box has an 'original Furness Railway' look about it, but I agree with the others who suspect this is somewhere in Scotland. A friend of mine who hails from Glasgow suggests that it could be Cardowan on the Gartcosh to Sighthill line, traversed by today's Glasgow Queen St - Cumbernauld trains.

Regards, John.

Reply to
John Lancaster

I'm away from home at the moment, so can't check my magazines, but there's a picture of Cardowan signal box in the March 1974 Railway Modeller in the "Modelling the Caledonian" series. Might give a hint as to whether it matches what you can see through the smoke :-)

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

"Jim Guthrie" wrote

A quick search on Google suggested

cabins, -, Stonehouse High Blantyre Blackwood Jct >Cardowan

if anyone has either of these two?

John.

Reply to
John Turner