A hacker at work? IP 80.46.128.141

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 08:24:56 +0000, Walt Davidson Gave us:

Yer a goddamned retard. I was erecting towers before you knew what a watt was.

No 73rds for yer lame ass.

Reply to
DarkMatter

My response below was to your gratuitous and unsolicited comments. QED.

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

Then you discredit yourself as a bona-fide contributor, OM.

Good day to you.

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

ROTFLMAO!!!!!

:-)

73 de G3NYY
Reply to
Walt Davidson

You keep sneering (Empty vessels make most noise?) about the positing of, "Big K", but you keep running away from my challenge to you about your evident childish disposition on the matter.

Whatever your motivation, it won't hide THE SENIOR INSTRUCTOR'S GAFFE of stating that e^(-jwt) decreases with increasing time.

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

The CBer reveals himself every time he opens his mouth (and keeps remarkably quiet about his Dad's pronouncements upon the matter of e^(-jwt) - the truth doesn't help the CBer's case?).....

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

The port scan, in itself, is not illegal - it must be done with the intent to subsequently gain access to material on the computer in order for it to be illegal. Of course, there are very few legitimate reasons for doing a port scan although RIPE do something similar periodically on all allocated IP address blocks to ensure that they are actually being used - if you lock your firewall down so tightly that they cannot ping your machines, you run the risk of loosing your IP allocation!

Martin (G8FXC)

Reply to
Martin

Quote from the computer misuse act :

1.-(1) A person is guilty of an offence if- (a) he causes a computer to perform any function with intent to secure access to any program or data held in any computer; (b) the access he intends to secure is unauthorised; and (c) he knows at the time when he causes the computer to perform the function that that is the case. Note the ".. intent to secure access to any program or data..." - the scanning is not an offence unless it is done with certain intent. Now, I do fully agree with you that the majority of port scans are malicious, but not all are.

Anyway, whatever the rights or wrongs, in practice there is very little you can do about them other than install proper firewalls. You are welcome to complain to the ISP in question, but you will soon find that you are spending virtually all your time writing to ISPs - my firewall often logs several tens of port scans per hour... Welcome to "always-on" internet connections!

Martin (G8FXC)

Reply to
Martin

Even if he gets a new IP address, he will still be port-scanned within a few hours...

Martin (G8FXC)

Reply to
Martin

LOL

'Sheep Do Worry' but a gorilla would rip his head off.

vy 73

Andy, M1EBV

Reply to
Andy Cowley

That gives me an idea for (f)Airy's Christmas present.

Reply to
Frank Turner-Smith G3VKI

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 10:48:18 -0000, "Martin" Gave us:

Hey dipshit.. One PC ASKING an IP addy what ports it has available is NOT accessing any data or programs on your machine, ya retard. It's called port scanning, and it is legal.

Reply to
DarkMatter

Well, not exactly - as it says above, it is an offence to cause a computer to "perform any function with intent to secure access..." - you do not have to actually access the data in order to be committing the offence - just preparing to do so - the Computer Misuse Act says exactly that. I am afraid that Gareth is almost correct - port scanning, in itself, is not illegal, but it is illegal if performed as a prelude to an attempt to access data on the machine. If you are caught doing it, you are going to need a pretty convincing explaination as to why!

Martin (G8FXC)

Reply to
Martin

Hehe, oh, I haven't contributed to this thread in quite a while, no point in saying the obvious. Now, what of you? How much have you contributed?

Oh, and BTW, that "OM" comment is REALLY starting to hurt, I feel like crying...

What else you going to come up with?

Reply to
repatch

No you won't. All you'll need is to deny that you intended to secure access. The prosecution would require other evidence, apart from a port scan, to demonstrate intent. As others have pointed out, many ISPs port scan all their clients regularly and without obtaining specific permission.

One good reason for doing it, that doesn't show that intent, is "because it annoys Airy Bean". ;-)

AFAIK causing fits of apoplectic fury in newsgroup village idiots is not actually against the Computer Misuse Act. 'Knock and run' is not burglary.

vy 73

Andy, M1EBV

Reply to
Andy Cowley

message

ISPs and Internet administrators can claim a good excuse for doing it - for the rest of us it is a lot harder to come up with a good explaination for it which does not involve some malign intent...

Martin (G8FXC)

Reply to
Martin

Bleedin' Nick's place! 305 articles in this thread and it's still growing! All because Airy R Sole thinks somebody might give a shit about what he's been writing to his bank manager.

Reply to
Frank Turner-Smith G3VKI

No risk of brain damage then ;-)

Reply to
Brian Reay

Frank, you are assuming that Gareth has had an education.

His "maintained knowledge" suggests other wise.

;-)

73

Brian

Reply to
Brian Reay

Fifty-four lines of this demonstrates without a shadow of a doubt that Mr Bean is a thoughtless and inconsiderate person, despite his having qualifications in electronics, computing, and psychology and having been to an avant-garde university. His education is clearly lacking.

Note that some of us have to pay to download the results of this moronic behaviour. Shame on him.

Reply to
Me