Kind of frustrating.....

I joined TRA yesterday (heck, I'm shooting hybrids, and they are all TMT certified... least I can do is support TRA...). I joined via Paypal, and all
went smoothly. This AM I got a message from Phyllis Kelly (on an AOL address) asking for additional information for registration purposes, sent it (thrice) and it was bounced back to me each time. Apparently the IP address I own is in a range blocked by AOL, reportedly for spam (though the recorded traffic through my SMTP server is nil). So, I'll call TRA later via landline and fill it in.
I just wonder why folks aren't using a dedicated mail server for these transactions? AOL is, putting it very mildly, useless crap. And since TRA owns a domain, why aren't the addresses for membership transactions snipped-for-privacy@tra.org? Even the link on the webpage for reporting membership problems is an AOL addie <shakes head>. I note that a reply to me from Bruce Lee *does* use a tra.org address, so clearly the capability exists.....
This is obviously not a big deal-- sort of like a flea bite. But even fleas are annoying.
Kevin OClassen NAR 13578 TRA something or other that I haven't received yet
Hello Kevin,
Welcome aboard with TRA. You will find that TRA embrasses ALL aspects of rocketry; model, high power, HYBRIDS, and amateur. We do it in a safe/sane and educational manner. TRA doesn't care if you are young or old, rich or poor, black or white ... we just care that you have an interest in ROCKETRY.
We are not a "ficle dinosaur" like that OTHER organization who's leader is "Blissfully Ignorant" about Hybrid Launch systems as well as many other high power/amateur rocket issues. My how that OTHER organization NOT kept up with the times ... oh well, their loss.
I hope you can make the big regional TRA launches. One of the things I like doing is just WATCHING all the fun. Preping and flying is so time consuming, but walking around and viewing the vehicles, and watching them fired is most pleasing!
The ranges are very well ran, and safety is paramount. There is none of that, "hold the rocket during the count, then run away in the last 2-3 seconds" as they do in that OTHER organization ... nope, none of that in TRA.
Most of the bad talk you have heard about TRA in this group comes from 2 malcontents: One who was kicked out because he thought he was bigger than the organization, and the other well has multiple felony and civil judgements against him, and really no longer matters in the world of rocketry, but you can't tell him that!
TRA people are "matured" model rocketeers. We had fun at 12, and 14 with Estes and Centuri kits, but now in our 30s,40s,50s+ want something more challenging than an Astron Alpha or a Centuri Micron ... we also welcome those at our meets too!
Well enough banter, glad you joined TRA and good luck in your rocketry endevors.
Lunarlos
P.s. Any relation to the Oclassens out of Arizona?
Kevin OClassen wrote:

in the 50's malcontents read comic books, rode motorcycles, had sex before marriage, and smoked reefer madness.... otherwise know as rebels without a cause....
shockie B)
Even the link on the webpage for reporting membership

shockwaveriderz wrote:

Today they just piss and moan about everything... otherwise known as rebels without a clue...
Mario
It is not very professional to trash talk another competing organization, not in business or non-profit organization. Especially another non-profit promoting the same values that you are. You should be working together, not against each other

Welcome to rmr. This is as good as it gets. Thanks for your opinion.

Who is this "lunarlos" jerk who refuses to identify himself?
writes:

I guess some anonymous cyberspace whacko... Newsgroups are full of them :-)
--

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

I think perhaps that is correct.
Kevin OClassen wrote:

In a nut shell, the Kellys choose to use AOL; I tried AOL years ago, decided it sucked almost immediately and never went back again.
-Kevin

Perhaps it meets the exact same standards the use to judge their performance with HPR magazine?
"Stop complaining, you got PART of it EVENTUALLY."

Did you notice that the TRA site does not even mention HPR Magazine any more? Now doo you believe that it is nbot part of TRA? You can't say it's the official magazine either.
Can agree that it's about time?

In the case of the present case HPR magazine and its linkage or not to TRA was not the issue.
I raised an example of typical "Kelly" behavior because it was yet another "Kelly" in the same family, in the same house, who provided "poor service" to a new member of --TRA--. You know, the club, not the magazine.
Jerry

The TRA.ORG addresses probably forward to other personal mail addresses.
Welcome to TRA, Kevin!

Please note your first act as a TRA member was to complain (in worldwide public) about service issues.
Welcome to TRA.
Jerry Irvine wrote:

Yeah, but I bet he'll get over it, unlike you.

SO YOU ARE SAYING HE WILL GET TIRED OF BRINGING IT UP, THE PROBLEM WILL PERSIST, AND HE WILL GO AWAY?
I THOUGHT SO.
Jerry

No, Jerry.
Instead of bringing it up again, I worked around the problem. All is good, and contact was made. I may be a whiner, but this is such a minute issue that it makes no difference at all; I suspect for 99.9% of people it's not even an issue. In a volunteer organization, you make allowances for the convenience of those serving in volunteer positions. Geez, once again I'm sorry I opened my mouth (or keyboard, as the case may be.) I had no intention of fueling your acrimony.
You're going to go hoarse if you keep yelling.
Kevin O
2On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 08:20:23 GMT, "Kevin OClassen"

We should be so lucky. 8-)