Rocketry For The Retarded -- Now at Apogee!

Link no longer works...

Eldred

Reply to
EldredP

Seems like, when you compare the actual safety record of home-cast APCP with the experience of the "commercial" motor manufacturers, the logical conclusion seems to be that the _real_ risk factor is the large-scale industrialization of motor-making for sale to the "consumer" market, which involves the presence on the maker's premises of far larger quantities of "energetic mixtures" (either as propellant in process or finished motors) than what the "Kitchenaid Krew" will generally prepare at any given moment.

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

Educator market? You must hove a pretty low opinion of educators, eh, Bob?

I don't understand Tim's hypocritcal article. His site is literally full of the benefits of using rocketry to promote other subjects and areas of study. He gives rocket propulsion and rocket fuels as examples of the broad scope of rocket science applicability in the classroom.

I thought he actually understood that model rockets were a means to several ends in the classroom, not just an end in themselves. Its just ironic that the fundamental and defining element of a rocket, the rocket motor, seems to be off limits to many rocketeers. Rocketry, by definition and practice, is more about propulsion than aerodynamics. And if Tim didn't really believe that, it would be Apogee Model Aircraft, not Rockets, IMHO.

I think he's confused over the difference between "rocket science" and "aerospace engineering". The "don't reinvent the wheel" (motor) attitude is a sure sign of an engineering background. The "how does all this work" attitude is more indicative of a pure science background.

In any case, Apogee is out of my curriculum references Monday morning. We need a site somewhere between Apogee/Estes (self serving) and Richard Nakka (too advanced) that promotes rocket science and education at a realistic primary/secondary level..

Reply to
Gary

Just tried it from here... seems OK.

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

Link worked for me just a second ago.

What doesn't work for me is the article.

I make, and fly, a lot of big motors. For me, EX is the ticket. If Tim wants me to quit making motors, all he needs to do is make motors available to me at the prices I can make them for. $20 for a K550, $75 for an L850, $120 for an M1419. I fly a couple of M's in a year, and I've paid for the rest of the cost of participating in the hobby. Hell, I burned enough impulse in October alone to pay for all the equipment, gas, motel rooms, and then some, for the whole year!

And the point was made that there seems to be more "accidents" in the commercial manufacturing sector. Tim's just trying to line his pockets. And that's OK. He can sell to the folks that just want "recipe" kits and motors. I'm sure there are plenty of them.

Good luck, Tim.

James

Reply to
James L. Marino

Must have been a temporary failure. Works fine for me.

Reply to
Mark Hamilton

He is a merchant. Not a teacher.

I have offered free web space for rocketry resources for decades now. U.S. Rockets knows rockets.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Ironic the "accidents" are not caused by volume of materials, but by hiring "less qualified" persons to actually run the manufacturing process.

Expendable people?

Humph.

Jerry

I prefer reuseables to manufacture expendables :)

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I think there's more to it than that. I don't see how his anti-motor-making article is going to increase sales of modroc kits or computer software.

The correct way to keep kids from hurting themselves is to give them the straight facts, not try to scare them off with a bunch of hooey.

Reply to
RayDunakin

Dave W. wrote:

Reply to
RayDunakin

You're wrong, you idiot!

Bob Kaplow

There's a LOT of good stuff at the esteseducator.com site. Even when their main site sucked, this one was easy to navigate and had great stuff.

Bob Kaplow

lol!

Reply to
David

Maybe so... but as educated, technically-minded people, should we not know better??? :-)

Reply to
Len Lekx

Worked for me fine. Acrobat reader, OTOH, locked up Netscape when it tried to load the file. After restarting my computer and launching AR separately, it worked fine.

Reply to
Len Lekx

Tim uses a Macintosh, RockSim is not available on a Mac.......need I say more? He's ignored us so......... ;-)

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

I've had the pleasure of running a beta copy of Rocksim for OS X for the last several weeks now. It's real, it's stable, and I assume that it will be on the market soon...

James

______________________ James Duffy snipped-for-privacy@mac.com

James Duffy

Jaw just hit the floor.

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

Kewl, a unix version of rocksim then

Reply to
AlMax

The rocket motor is off limits in public schools as far as a point of experimentation. You can use commercially certified motors but anything done on your own exposes the district to far too much litigation. So basically, aerodynamics, photography, all of the so-called safe venues are open as of the present.

Reply to
Reece Talley