OT: Anyone here had a french drain installed around their house?

I got my contract for the bid I accepted and am still torn if I should do both parts of the project.

I know I want the drain dug across the back of the house but I'm not sure if it is worth the extra expense ($4000) to have an additional drain run all along the upper fence to catch water entering the backyard...

anyone have any comments for a soon to be very very very broke modeler?

Craig

Reply to
crw59

Look on the bright side - you'll be both high AND dry. ;-)

WmB

Reply to
WmB

I had a similar problem with drainage in my back area when it rained hard. All the water from the property behind us tried to drain into our pond. We solved the problem by getting some larger river rock and some landscaping fabric. We dug a shallow trench along the fence where the water seemed to run and made a dry creek as part of the landscaping. It works great, looks good and best of all we did it for under $200.

Reply to
Count DeMoney

snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net wrote in news:1156798638.025160.226390 @i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

We did ours ourselves, and not only were we the richer for it (both financially, and physically - it was a workout!), but we know every inch of the system intimately, which helps when something goes wrong.

As for the upper fence ... I don't know your yard well enough (at all) to say.

cd

Reply to
Carl Dershem

How long are you going to stay in the house?

If you've got a wet crawl space or water seeping under the foundation you could be heading off a lot of dry rot and settling problems down the road.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net wrote

$4k to dig a ditch? How large is your back yard? Can you install a wall instead of a ditch?

You need to move. Here, it's the individual property owners responsibility to control water falling onto their land and prevent it flooding other yards.

But like someone said - go dig it yourself. It's cheaper, healthier and it gets you out of the house (cuts into modelling time tho). That's if you're physically capable, of course.

Rob

Reply to
AussieRob

You might get more comments in these groups: alt.binaries.construction alt.home.repair

Reply to
Willshak