OT: Can someone tell me what this means?

Greetings. My uncle served in the Navy during ww2, and on his grave marker are the initials "MOMM2". Can anyone tell me what this means? I'd like to know, and then tell my mother. Thanks for any input, and regards.

Randy IPMS Houston

We're living in a world that's been pulled over our eyes to blind us from the truth. Where are you, white rabbit?

Reply to
Randy Pavatte

found it- Motor Machinist Mate 2nd class-

Jim Atkins

Machinist's Mates, which I was, work on steam propulsion systems and air conditioning and refrigeration systems. When I was in the Navy in the 60's, Motor Machinist's Mates were called Enginman. Jerry 47

Reply to
jerry 47

The site I found this on mentions something about "no engineman back then"- I guess they changed the name for the rating, which is why it's not on the USN site.

Reply to
Jim Atkins

The MOMM indicates what his job was in the Navy. I believe that others have indicated that he was a Motor Machinist's mate.

The 2 indicates his enlisted rank or 2nd class Petty Officer.

For a complete listing of Navy enlisted ranks see the following:

johnm

That's right. Motor Machinist's Mate was established in early 1942 and was changed to Engineman in 1948. The specialty mark for "Motor Macs" was a propeller like MM, but upside down with one blade up, and with an "M" on one side and an "O" on the other side.

Like all engine room rates, throughout most of WW2 2nd class was the lowest petty officer grade. Fireman 1st Class took the place of PO 3rd class.

Reply to
jnolastname

Thanks everyone for the great responses. Recently my parents were in Tennessee visiting relatives, and they stopped at the cemetery where my mom's dad and one (of 3) brothers is buried. Her dad served in ww1, and all 3 of her brothers served in ww2. One was a Marine, one drove a transport boat on D-Day, and the other's service is what you helped clarify. (She knew he'd been in the Navy, but didn't know in what capacity.) All her brothers were fortunate to survive the war, but have all since passed on. Mom is the last living child of 5....3 brothers and one sister. Again, thanks for your input.

Randy IPMS Houston

We're living in a world that's been pulled over our eyes to blind us from the truth. Where are you, white rabbit?

Reply to
Randy Pavatte

Hey- this isn't going astray. It's helping a buddy. Spam and psychos and turdmodeling are astray. Glad to help-

Reply to
Jim Atkins
Reply to
Digital_Cowboy