OT: Putin Announces New Nuclear Missile Initiative

At one time the Norwegians were under the authority of the Swedish Crown. That's why Swedish aircraft carry three crowns on their aircraft. I think there was a little unpleasantness over the break-up but whether the Norwegians had to invade to make their point requires a check of my references. Of course you could go back further in time and say that Norwegians 'invaded' Iceland, Greenland and Vinland. :)

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Vess

Um, I am still awaiting your disposal list as promised before the election.

Especally the kits that I listed yesterday.

Please reply with a list. I know you must be busy. You know, getting all of those kits ready to sell, but please let me know how it's going.

TIA

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

What if they instead nuked one of our allies? N. Korea striking S. Korea or Japan, or Iran hitting Israel or Western Europe? Would we be forced to respond in kind? Would we even be willing to?

Better we develop a missile defense to thwart nuclear missiles launched by rouge states.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

If they nuke Western Europe I say let bygones be bygones. Maybe it was mistake. Get 'em on the phone. We can work it out. ;-)

Rouge... red states... just one transposed letter and the whole Freudian crowd is set a-buzz. ;-)

WmB

WmB

Rats. Damned spell-checker isn't worth a crap.... ;-p

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Whether we would respond with nuclear weapons to an attack by North Korea on Japan or South Korea would depend on the tactical situation. Strategically, we certainly would have to respond militarily.

An attack on Israel would be slightly different, since the Israelis have a far greater capability than either the South Koreans or Japanese. My guess is that we would "support" an Israeli counterattack with either direct or indirect efforts. In effect we'd cover their back while they responded on their own.

The development of an earth based continental defense system is currently beyond even our economic power. I think it's more likely we will develop some kind of point defense system (super Patriot) or a space based system. Probably both.

Since the major military threat to the US right now, perhaps the only military rather than terrorist threat, is a ballistic missle attack I think it's pretty much a given that we will develop our defenses against it, regardless of which party is in power. The difference between the parties will be the politics of it. Do we fund it heavily and use the threat of its deployment as leverage against rogue states? Do we fund it moderately and use it as part of a two pronged effort in tandem with enticements to give up nukes ballistic missles? You can make a good argument for both approaches (big stick versus carrot and stick) since they've both worked at different times.

My guess? Only big stick will work with North Koreans but carrot and stick could work with Iranians. We need to outwait Iran and keep the mullahs from blowing up the region while their people get their act together to toss them over the side. That day is probably not too far off. North Korea, on the other hand, will never overcome its leadership on its own.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Levine

Norway ruled, in the middle ages, over Iceland, Greenland, the Orkneys , Faroes and parts of both Scotland and Ireland.

Reply to
Sigvaldi Eggertsson

You won't hear from Vessticles again until he's ready to throw another turd into the mix to get everyone stirred up. Once he does that, you don't hear from him again until he's ready to do it again.

He's a troll, plain and simple. The best way to handle a troll like him is to completely ignore him, no matter how taunting his post may be. He gets his kicks, and apparently his only attention, from dropping an inflammatory post, then sitting back gleefully awaiting all your reactions. If you can't keep from reacting to his crap, kill file him as I did.

-- -- -- -- -- "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell

My Home Page:

Bill Woodier

Ok my bad here I was thinking in post Hiroshima terms as the gist of the thread was originally about a new nuclear missle. I should have been more explicit.

Larry

Reply to
Larry Curtis

Yeah, he was worth a laugh or two before but the fun's all gone out of it now. Blocked senders list - here he comes.

Good luck to Tom at ever seeing a model kit from him.

WmB

WmB

Vess

I don't understand why you won't reply to my simple request for you to do what you promissed.

I checked with John Meikrantz at Meikraft and he says that you are as honest as the day is long.

Perhaps it's just the shortening winter days?

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Uh-oh, it's seance time again in Calleefornya.

Bill Banaszak, MFE ;)

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Shhhhhhh.

Don't spoil the fun.

:-)

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

We already have a rudimentary ABM system in place in Alaska.

Israel won't let Iran develop nuclear weapons. No how, no way...

One can only hope.

There seems to be something unusual going on with the leadership of N. Korea right now.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Kim Jomg Il wants to come to Las Vegas as the next Elivs impersonator?

The Old Timer

Since the major military threat to the US right now, perhaps the only military rather than terrorist threat, is a ballistic missle attack

Wrong! On 9-11 we had according to the reports, 2 F-16's that we able to respnd and a couple F-15's on standby for the entire Eastern seaboard, i would say if the Russkie's loaded the bears up they could just fly on over and bomb at will.

Reply to
DDSD

Normandy and England......

Reply to
Ron

...ruddy vikings...

Reply to
Rufus

Bingo!

Reply to
Ron

Vess, you are starting to make me cross.

You made a loud, strong comment that you would dispose of your entire model collection if your man didn't win the election.

He lost.

You have ignored repeated requests to live up to your word of honor. Are you a honorable man, Vess?

Or are you an out and out liar?

A list, please.

Tom

Reply to