OT: Who Made the ugliest Aircraft

It's cold here in SF and I thought I would start a flame... :-)

going thru the Squadron catalog and decided that the British win the prize, and they must have enlisted Monty Python to name their planes (Spitfire excluded)

Fruitbat for gods sake. Is Dung Beetle far behind....?

Enjoy - Craig

Reply to
Craig

The Brits were particularly adept at "interesting" names for aircraft, but the French were infamous for the extent of deliberate ugliness, while the Brits tended to simply unattractive utilitarianism or a simple lack of aesthetic consideration. On the other hand, having gone through a period of flying horror, the French also did some particularly pretty (though not always useful/flyable) types.

Reply to
steve gallacci

European or African... OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!\

I always thought the majority of the Soviet and Italian WWII and earlier aircraft were dogs. Especially when everyone elses designs smartened up, theirs still looked dated. I'd expect that of the Russkijs, but the Italians should know better. ;-)

WmB

WmB

I did 6 years ago when I tried to build the PM of Turkey 1/72 Ta 154.

Art

Reply to
Art Murray

Then lets not Forget (Fairey Flycatcher)

Denis

Reply to
Denis Winters

Ugliest aircraft I've ever seen.....

Vickers FB-27 biplane.

Huge, ugly, massive, ungainly, did I mention ugly?

Reply to
Chris

Some of the ugliest ones are the most interesting,most desirable to me to model,and least likely to ever appear. Transavia Airtruk anyone?

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

The Airtruk is NOT ugly! That was a bit of misinformation. It is one of the most beautiful aircraft in existance. I've loved it ever since I saw Mad Max.

The Old Timer

My favorite was the "Airspeed Ape". Look that one up some time when you need a good laugh!

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Fleet Air Arm, 1922-1939, but the Avro Bison and the Blackburn Blackburn (sic) take the cake. A Blackburn picture was captioned "Not a pretty sight".

Reply to
Tom Cervo

I remember a magazine article in either Time or Newsweek that trumpeted the A-10 as "The Ugliest Plane In The Air Force". I must register my complete disagreement. It's one bad mo-fo!!

Mike (ODO)

Reply to
Mike (ODO)

I imagine when you're on the wrong end of a Warthog it would seem pretty damned ugly. Any Taliban/Iraqis/Al-Qaeda want to confirm? What, nobody survived a strike? Good!

WmB

WmB

"Taliban/Iraqis/Al-Qaeda want to confirm? What, nobody survived a strike? Good!"

You missed off Allies. And yes, some crew members of attacked APC's, although well marked but still attacked, did survive.

damned ugly. Any

Reply to
David Amos

No need to turn this into a downer. Think dead Taliban to yourself, over and over again.

Positive waves.... positive waves.

WmB

WmB

Ugly is in the eye of the beholder ;~)

"The world would be a much simpler place if every one could pick and choose their obligations, but we can't and we shouldn't." Major Charles W. Whittlesey

Reply to
Bill Woodier

Grunts in contact with the enemy might beg to differ.......

Reply to
Al Superczynski

how can u say that?!?!?! especially about the Italian aircraft, the MC-202/205 and Re-2005 were among the sleekest looking aircraft ever built. as for the Soviets, starting with the Yak-1 they were the pinnacle of simpleness producing extraodrinary results.

Sean Neilan Peace leads to strength. Strength leads to war. War leads to weakness. Weakness leads to peace.

Imagine what we will learn when people are not afraid to ask whatever they wish?- JH

If sense is so common, why do so few people have it?

Reply to
IncubusNitemare

How about that stainless steel behemoth, the Budd RB-1 Conestoga?

Greg Heilers

In article , Craig writes

The ugliest single one, or the award for "lifetime achievement"?

Somewhere the Westland Lysander has to appear. Not as a bad plane, for it did its job very well unlike, say, the later Curtiss Seagull (Seamew). But very, very, far from beautiful.

But the Lysander I am thinking of was the prototype for the a "beach sweeping aircraft" having the rear replaced with a twin elevator/fin assembly with a four gun turret lurking between them.

I couldn't believe it the first time I saw a (the?) photograph.

Reply to
Chris Brown