PLEASE...

snipped-for-privacy@some.domain wrote:

Just trying to roll with the changes...the electric ducted fan jets have me really interested. And the though of having a small electric helo that I could buzz around my living room has my attention a bit too, if only to learn a bit more about helos.
--
- Rufus

yeah, i love my toys, too. and they're "educational". yeah, that's it, i'm

saw a video of one. the two soldiers looked like gamers setting. now, vehr ist mein joysticken?
Rufus wrote:

Those electric RC aircraft have made a big dent in the hobby. Once all the mess and noise of internal combustion engines is taken off the RC aircraft, they become very salable items, particularly given the low cost of modern electronics.
Pat
Pat Flannery wrote:

Yeah, and they're also in the fast or pre-built category now. I was always a better R/C builder than R/C flier...but now that skill's being lost too. Or maybe the tech is just evolving.
Then there's the new fad for high power rockets - this shop also caters to that crowd. We have some full scale energetics engineers that are into it out here, and there's tons of room to loft such without risk of hurting anyone or damaging property, but back there...I'm a bit surprised.
--
- Rufus

Pat Flannery wrote:

What I'm seeing is that radio control has become far cheaper while plastic modeling has become far and away more expensive since I was a kid - I've done both. Kids like stuff that moves and interacts, and R/C, slot cars, and model rocketry are on the same level or expense...so they're choosing something different. At least that's the way I see it.
Actually, the facts and accuracy count for a lot more than one would think on a professional level, and even I never really considered that for years. I started building kits at the age of four, and the adults (primarily my grandfather) always took the time to make sure I not only new how to build, but just what it was that I was building and where it came from. It wasn't until I got to high school and started building armor that I started really paying attention to detail and accuracy. And that directly influenced my career choice...my old boss used to hate me saying "I only work to support my hobby", but it's essentially true.
I had an interview with Northrop once where the interviewer was more interested in my modeling skills and background than my degree, and said he preferred to hire builders because "they know where stuff goes". I had a test pilot stop me in the middle of a discourse and ask how in the hell I knew so much about airplanes and how they went together without ever being in the service - I told him I built models. And I was told directly by the founder that everyone in the employ of Scaled Composites was a model builder because if you came forward with an idea, you better be able to build it yourself. And to my own surprise, when my family visited the NASM in DC about a month or so after it opened...my mother was walking around with my aunt, rattling off the names of the planes on sight. When my aunt asked how she even knew what an Me 109 was, she replied - "because I think we have one at home"...that was her first realization that I wasn't just "playing with toy airplanes".
So, for me modeling is both a hobby and an education, and I try to make it a point to pass that along. It teaches stuff - all sorts of stuff. Motor skills, technical skills, history, technical diversity, artistry, aesthetics, composition, creativity...and that's just scratching the surface. So that's why I like to "get it right"...and my interpretation of "getting it right" is pretty broad and variate.
But trust me - if you build something I walk past every day and take "artistic license" with it, I'll tell you about it. And laugh at you. A lot. So will quite a few other folks I know.
--
- Rufus

Rufus wrote:

I was trying to do the math on that, particularly when it comes to tank kits. I think the dollar is worth around 1/3- 1/4 what it was back around 1960, and you used to be able to get a Monogram M-60 for around $2.50. Extrapolating from that, a entry level tank kit should cost around $8.00 to $10.00 now. That's nowhere near the case, and even a 21st Century Toys tank will set you back around $14.00 at Walmart. So kids have been priced out of the hobby.

Neat story; thanks for that! :-)
Pat
Pat Flannery wrote:

Yeah, that's really my take on it...I'm amazed at what you can get a decent four or even six channel R/C rig for these days - about the price of a going 1/32 kit. If it's a choice between a 1/32 F-105 that sits there or an ARF kit with a radio system I can actually fly, I'd opt to spend my kid-bux on the flyer, if I have them to spend.
Even car kits - used to be a about a $2 thing you could get the money for from mowing lawns...now the advertisers and corporations have them up there in the range of the slot cars - again, a choice between something I can interact with or something that sits there.
Between the price points and the net age getting kids more inclined to be interactive geeks, I see the static model hobby on an eventual and unavoidable decline...much like skilled craftsmanship in industry.
--
- Rufus

Oh, poo poo!! Where'd you get the 1/3 - 1/4?
http://www.measuringworth.com/calculators/uscompare ...
In 2006, $2.50 from 1960 is worth: $17.02 using the Consumer Price Index $13.85 using the GDP deflator $0.00 using the value of consumer bundle $20.22 using the unskilled wage $37.78 using the nominal GDP per capita $62.66 using the relative share of GDP
The consumer price index is probably the best measure to use. There are plenty of 1:72 scale revell and dragon armor kits and dozens of 1:24 and 1:25 car kits at my local hobby store for under $17. Raise the bar to $20 and I'd definitely say kids aren't priced out of the hobby.
--
snipped-for-privacy@food.skaterat.net
All foods should be removed to reply
Pat Flannery wrote:

Heh, mine isn't unopened but I bought it on sale for 19.
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.
Pat Flannery wrote:

It seems fairly decent given that it has all of the earmarks of an Aurora kit. The red areas are marked on the plastic but somewhat faintly. There are rivets, and the canopy is not the best fit. No landing gear as it was designed to fit on a stand. IIRC, it's to 1/107th scale. Al S. was kind enough to send me a scan of his Trumpeter decal sheet with instructions to reduce it to 88%. Unfortunately I haven't had a working printer to try that on since. One neat detail that's a little unusual for Aurora was the solid bulkhead mounted in the tail that carries the engine exhaust nozzle. That makes it appear to be 'floating' rather than being glued to the fuselage. If I get a chance to I will post the boxart over on abms. I might even have the instructions scanned and postable.
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

bill, just go to best buy or whatever and buy a $30 printer. instead of paying $60 for cartridges to replace, just buy a new printer for the carts, give the old one away. you also get the latest tech.
someone typed:

Firstly I must remind you that my son has all kinds of junk stored in my basement, garage and a room upstairs. Just what I need to do is add a piece to the pile. >8]
Secondly, with my usual good fortune, I'll probably find one that is so new tech that it sneers at my humble equipment and refuses to co-operate. ;]
Thirdly is the lack of $30 that isn't spoken for at this moment. Ain't life grand?
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

i have a pile, too, but do i buy parts? sure. do i understand all the new tech? no. do i have $30 for anything? no. hello long lost brother!
Mad-Modeller wrote:

Here I am answering myself (nothing new there ;\) but I found both items and they are now posted over on abms for your amusement.
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.
(Rufus) wrote: cyberborg 4000 wrote: Please don't get Too Mad at what I am gonna say here. But = I'm one of those people who sometimes put those Large Guided Bombs and Missiles underneath the Wing of the Plane just because they seem to LooK Sooooooo CooL hanging there beneath a different wing like that. And Yesss I sometimes Know they don't belong there. But Darn it they just LooK really really Sharp hanging there though I guess that's one of the many reasons I think that they call it modeling :) :) :) Sorry Everyone - Okay - Now you Know one of my Deepest =n- Darkest Secrets ... Carl ..........
,, There's modeling, and there's scale modeling...I prefer the latter...
--
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0- Rufus

If it has a Scale on the Box for the Thing that I am Building. Then I
cyberborg 4000 wrote:

If it has a Scale on the Box for the Thing that I am Building. Then I guess that I'm doing Scale Modeling Too ........ LOL
I think I would use a different term here
I think I would say it is an ''Accurately Reproduced Miniature'' to better depict that it's an exact replica of a real thing
- I'll agree with that...and that's a big part of why I don't do contests. Accuracy don't count for much
I guess any kind of a Sci-fi -or- Fantasy Modeling just doesn't count because of the fact there's no way to actually verify any reference or data to a proto-type or any item already in use out in the field;
- Uh...not really, as I see things. But I also see that type of modeling as more creative and artistic. I've tried it and can't do it well even though I can design jewelry. I can repect fantasy builders when they do good work just like anyone else.
Heck - That goe and lets out nearly Half the Stuff that I really like to Build -- LOL
- Again, I doubt that.
If you LooK Real Close at the Opel Blitz that I Built that is in my Web-Page you might find a Dozen or so things that are wrong or Not up to ''Snuff'' as they say
But you would be very Hard Pressed to say that it wasn't a Good Modeling Job
It's in here if you wanna take a LooK :)
My Main Page with My Models and INFO http://community.webtv.net/CYBER-BORG-4/ThemodelsIlikethe
- And that's the bottom line. The Growler I was looking at had way more flaws than just the AIM-9's...most likely starting with the kit itself.
--
- Rufus

Site Timeline