Re: Battlestar Galactica Cylon Raider..

She was married to a Chicago commodities broker, Jack (?) Ryan. He ditched her, and he is now running for the senate. Definate moron alert. Kim M

Operation American Freedom-Where is our regime change?

Reply to
Royabulgaf

Unh Huh! The way I heard it was just the opposite. When she landed the

7/9 role and her career started to perk up, she ditched him. It was too much trouble commuting to the Big Windy on weekends she said. It also didn't hurt that she was getting involved with one of the producers.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

I was thinking along the lines of character development you laid out. Part of the reason we collectively found Spock, McCoy, Scott et al interesting was the way things were revealed over the length of the series and no one had to shed clothes to do it.

I'm no prude either but the storyline is going to have to have a really good reason for displays of the flesh and not just an attempt to prop up the ratings. Considering most of the rest of the dreck on UPN, I think perhaps "Enterprise" is on the wrong network. ST/NG wasn't on any network at all and it was successful because the stories were well-written and neither Troi nor Dr.Crusher were exploited.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

Bill Banaszak wrote in news:3F83768C.5AAB9D42 @verizon.net:

Yep, totally agree. Involvement into how the characters tick is what holds my interest. I hope Paramount figures this out before it's too late.

Reply to
Zam Karmen

I agree with what you're saying, but just to split hairs I think the good counselor did a turn in a risqué negligee in one episode. I didn't see it (only heard about it) so it might be bull. Of course TNG was light years :-) ahead of Enterprise with or without the exploitation.

WmB

WmB

Fair comment..... the way I remembered it anyway. At least untill interest in Enterprise had renewed my childhood interest in TOS. I went off and read Leonard Nimoy's second book "I Am Spock" and Herb Solow's book (exec producer) and it was quite clear that the hitching of skirts and showing enough flesh to keep inside the national sensors guidelines were high on Roddenberry's agenda.

One example of the latter was an ep where Kirk was talking to a topless woman in a pond/pool. They purposely put more in for the sensor to cut... the end result was what Roddenberry and co wanted.

Mitch

Reply to
Mitch

yeahbut.... I seem to recall a scene from "Forbidden Planet" between Ann Francis and Lesly Nielson (back when he was the hunk) that was almost exactly like that scene.

The Old Timer

So do I. Bearing in mind that I only saw Forbidden Planet many years after ST/TOS I was struck by how similar in concept the two were. There were many ST shows with a Shakespearean theme. "The Wrath of Khan" was a melange of "Tale of Two Cities" and "Moby Dick". I remember being surprised when Khan's last speech was spouted almost entirely by Gregory Peck in the MD movie. The only time I recall the good doctor in a nighty it was a fairly long one (and she sure looked good in it!) but it didn't interfere with the story development.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

And this is bad because??

Reply to
Bradford Chaucer

7 of 9 could turn a corpse into a sex maniac :-)
Reply to
Bradford Chaucer

My favorite story was an episode where they wanted to use a costume that covered the brests from the top halfway down but left the lower portion exposed. The censors shot it down real fast. The comment was something along the line "I suppose they thought that moss grew there"

But AFAIR Roddenbury et al got back in ST TNG with the 2 klingon sisters whose costumes had appropriately placed cutouts :-)

Reply to
Bradford Chaucer

I do remember a woman's outfit looking very much like that. IIRC, the costume designer worked from the perspective of making the audience wonder how the costumes stayed on.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

Hehe, well never intended for it to sound bad. Just to say sex sells and I for one think T'Pol is needed to be a lttle sexy. Just the way say P Leia was in Return of the Jedi..... No problem there either...

Mitch

Reply to
Mitch

Not wishing to pick nits or anything, but "Tale of Two Cities" is by Charles Dickens and "Moby Dick" is by Herman Melville: both highly regarded authors, but a little, er, _younger_ than Shakespeare :)

"Forbidden Planet" (1956) was also a feature film, and as such could get away with content that would be banned on TV. I wonder what certificate it was released under?

Using the Internet to prod my memory, I can list "The Conscience of the King," based largely on _Hamlet_. "Elaan of Troyius" taken from _The Taming of the Shrew_.

The Movie Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country is (unsurprisingly) full of quotations from Shakespeare.

Reply to
Alan Dicey

Quite right. I blame my faulty paragraph construction. :]

Were they still certifying movies at that late date? I remember sometime in the '60s when the letter-rating system was developed, primarily in response to movies pushing the boundaries.

I loved the juxtaposition of Christopher Plummer's quotations in the final battle with the exclamation "Gas!" :)

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

If you recall, that was directly linked to the beginning of the movie. Remember how Chekov realized where they were and who was there? The belt buckle engraved "Botany Bay" but before that, the book "Moby Dick" on the bookshelf?

Much like Chang in ST-VI, Khan quoted "ancient" literature many times.

RLM

Reply to
Robert McNay

give john water's book shock value a read for a hysterical view of the city of baltimore's censor and his movies. in the 70's!

Now I'm going to have to drag that tape out of the archives and look again. I've never caught that!

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

I also notice those were the best two in what is becoming a very tired franchise. When the next spin-off,Star Trek T&A,rated R,comes out...I'm outta here...

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

i'm waiting for star trek kids on the dizzy channel.