swup from Markku

Anyone else having a problem with the program only generating a prn file instead of a pdf? Is there something I need to do to convert PRN files to pdf automaticly? I tried using bluebeam as well as my cutepdf writer -- both generate PRN files. It seems like back in 1.0 version it went straight to a pdf.

any help is appreciated Thanks Steve T.

Reply to
SteveT

Hi, I changed that because people were having problems with Bluebeam. I want it to work for everyone...so you need for example GhostScript and FreeDist to change .prn to .pdf.

I have time tomorrow to do another version that uses only Bluebeam and makes directly .pdf...and includes all the same stuff that 1.0e2 + one small bug that I found today

regards Markku

Reply to
Markku Lehtola

Errr, I mean, I will fix the bug :-)

Reply to
Markku Lehtola

You totally rock! I'll be watching for the full bluebeam version, we have never had a problem with it. We keep things in lots of sub folders due to the many clients we work with so a secondary opteration to get a pdf seems like as much trouble as manually exporting to pdf anyway. Thanks for implimenting my revision suggestion -- you even have the option for those who put the rev in the model! Awsome! Thank you soo much!

Thanks Steve T.

Reply to
SteveT

Markku... I want to say thanks too.

I must be using an early version that saves straight to pdf using bluebeam and it works great for me.

I only turn it on at the end of job when I have to creat pdfs... very handy!

Cheers,

Cam

Reply to
Cam J

Ok, here we go again, these are tested very shortly, so they are pretty much "beta" :-). Thanks to all for support. For SW05 and SW06:

SWup 1.1 creates .PRN files with your favorite PS-printer driver

SWupBB 1.1 creates .PDF files, using Bluebeam

free download:

ps. I want to keep the .PRN version alive because I'm a huge fan of FreeDist and some users seem to have (still) problems with BB.

ps2. If you're using SW04, please test this for me:

It's little bit older version but I have difficulties to find a clean test enviroment for SW04, so I would like to know is it working with 04 or not. Thanks.

Reply to
Markku Lehtola

Thanks, nice to hear that it works for you. About revision attribute...I knew that the only right way is to support every possible way...people are using so many ways to handle attribute data (and luckily it was quite easy to code also:-))

regards Markku

Reply to
Markku Lehtola

Well that was a bs release, 1.2 is out :-)

Reply to
Markku Lehtola

Small visual fix for XP users, 1.2a

Reply to
Markku Lehtola

Markku,

Great program. I make PDF's of my projects when they are officially released to permanently document released status. So this is a great program to have for me.

Just one complaint though. When I create a PDF of a released drawing, I set the PDF file attribute to "Read Only" so it can't be accidentally overwritten. This takes a permanent snapshot of that revision. This program automatically un-sets the read-only attribute and overwrites it.

I have your program set to add the Rev attribute to the filename (just as I would do manually). Let's say I have a Rev4 drawing that requires an engineering change, and it already has a "Read-Only" PDF file associated with it. If I were to open the drawing make some changes, and save it before actually changing the Rev property to Rev5 (we are supposed to save often, right...), the program will unprotect the PDF and overwrite it without question, causing me to lose the original Rev4 PDF information. I'd rather it just fail until I get the custom property changed to Rev5, and then create a Rev5 PDF successfully (until I set it to read-only of course).

Is there a way to make this change?

Thank you,

Reply to
Seth Renigar

Thanks for the feedback. We have this nice Bluebeam which is so dumb that it does not have an option to avoid overwriting :-(.

I'll try to add option or something to handle this. Would it be better to have an option to overwrite or not or should it ask you every time what to do?

Reply to
Markku Lehtola

Markku,

My opinion as default would be to overwrite if the attribute is NOT set to read-only, and fail or not even attempt if it IS set to read-only. But other people may perhaps prefer it different than this. So I guess an option of sorts that can be toggled either way is going to be required to please the masses.

Great program though.

Seth

Reply to
Seth Renigar