Merry Christmas,

Have you seen the study done earlier this year on that subject?

1800 heart surgery patients and members of three churches. 600 patients prayed for and told they would be prayed for. 600 patients prayed for and told they might or might not be prayed for. 600 patients not prayed for. No difference in recovery speed or percent between any of the groups :-).
Reply to
Larry Blanchard

X-No-Archive

Ah Mister Turtles. Other than this posting where can we read this study? In any case, no believers always make fun. But hell awaits you so I take comfort in that. You can change, we hope and are praying you will.

And you will be see> Spender wrote:

Reply to
curtmchere

Ya know, I don't think he got the reference.

Reply to
Steve Caple

Reply to
curtmchere

But you don't. Praise Lord Russell.

Reply to
Steve Caple

Reply to
curtmchere

Steve Caple wrote: > On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 15:18:59 +1100, Mark Newton wrote: >

G'day Steve,

I still tend towards that view, but at the same time I'll acknowledge that what Wolf wrote was very, very true - these idiots all sound alike because they're all damaged goods...

Cheers,

Mark.

Reply to
Mark Newton

It's not going to post any reference to it's imaginary law. I still can't decide whether it's genuinely disturbed or just a very persistant troll, but either way it can't back up it's claims...

Cheers,

Mark.

Reply to
Mark Newton

Well, you could try the New York Times:

Or how about the BBC for the similar results of a different study:

But none of these will help you - you're determined that your beliefs are real and no facts will get in the way.

Ah, a real Christian. You take comfort in believing that someone else will suffer. I take comfort in knowing that you'll never have to realize you were wrong, you'll just cease to exist like the rest of us.

BTW, I don't think you have any idea of the story behind my sig line :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I didn't catch all the beginning of this topic but wanted to add my 3 cents (taxes).

Here where I live, the city school board recently voted to restore the names "Christmas Vacation" and "Easter Vacation" to the appropriate school breaks. Needless to say this caused a lot of controversy. Many atheists claimed in the local paper and talk radio shows that it was a move by the school board (especially one who is a well known Christian and brought up the issue) to push Christianity into the schools.

Their claims had little merit though and often came off as hypocritical as the fact remained that the names were simply being restored. Not changed, but restored to their original form as they had been created and existed since their conception (sans only recent times). If anything, it was an elimination of a political correctness decision made decades ago and it could have just as easily been said (with probably much fact to back it up) that the former change to "Winter" and "Spring" break was an attempt by atheists or even Pagans to remove the traditional Christian purpose of these vacations from the school system. Of course none of these folks had any complaints when the name had been changed before to better suit their personal non Christian beliefs.

The vast majority of the people here were happy to see it restored. The small minority were fit to be tied. One in fact a few days later one went down to the Court House in the middle of a weekday where a Christmas tree had been set up outside, and began yelling out obscenities about Christians and the School Board. He then proceeded to throw gasoline on the tree, and himself, and lit himself and said tree on fire. He's still in the hospital last I heard. If a Christian had did this in protest of a change to Winter and Spring names, he'd be called a Fundamentalist or something. Would that make this fellow a Fundamentalist Atheist?

Personally I don't see why some people get so bent out of shape over American traditions. When I was in grade school we celebrated Christmas. We had plays which involved the whole story of the birth of Christ right out of Scripture. In fact one year I was the lead Shepherd (and I still say it wasn't my fault I missed my cue to go onstage the first time). Everyone had a great time and nobody had a problem with it. We did all the holidays, even May Day with the May Pole and dancing and all that. It might be fair to say that if extremists on both sides of the aisle would attend to more important things, that our traditional cultural celebrations would still be enjoyable or even allowable in schools today. The atheists have or attempting to ruin the Christian holidays that generations have enjoyed, and Christians have or are attempting to ruin those such as May Day (already gone) and Halloween, which again, generations have enjoyed previously. Wouldn't it just be nice to go back to the way it was?

As for Curt's enthusiasm, I will chalk that up to being young in the spirit, in my opinion. I could be wrong, but I feel he means no harm. The Bible is clear about who goes to Hell and for what reasons so we should probably leave it at that. And for those that that don't believe, God is respective enough of free will and to allow such to take their eternal chances with their own personal views of the truths of spiritual reality.

A good evening to all. :) ~Brad

Reply to
flyingdragon64

Forgive my prying, but, neither do I. Would you be kind enough to explain its significance. Thank you very much.

Jerry

Reply to
trainjer

I've not been pleased with the with the way curt's comments have caused the group to deviate from model railroad subjects. I therefore apologize in advance for the off-topic nature of this post, but, Brad's comments merit some challenge. I will limit myself to two points.

You keep comming back to the machinations of Atheists and *even* Pagans to ruin Christian holidays and traditions. I wonder whether devout Jews, Muslims, Bhuddists, etc., etc.would enjoy being placed in that company. Even under the vast heading of *Christian* there are sufficient differences of opinion to allow for the cherished tradition of one sect to be heresy of another. Like it or not, history has made us a multicultural society. BTW, last month I wished most of my friends a Merry Christmas. It's a greeting showing a hope for joy and should not be taken as my own religious testimony. I used alternative words if I thought that term might offend the hearer. Political correctness? No way, just an attempt at good manners.

I believe you are a bit over-generous in your evaluation of curt. I suggest you examine his writings in other threads and even his initial writings here before he donned his religious mantle. *Means no harm* is a relative term. However, the extent of the harm caused is, I believe, less important than the intent of the person involved. I do not think curt ever had any desire to edify or (wittingly) entertain us.The future will show whether he is a new incarnation of Jepperson or not..

Thank you.

Jerry

P.S. A belated Merry Christmas and a never-too-late Happy New Year to all who would reciprocate.

Reply to
trainjer

The message you replied to was from me, not Steve. Read before replying.

I'll take the rest of you nonsense to mean that you cannot, in fact, come up with a law anywhere in the U.S. prohibiting someone from saying "Merry Chrismas." Try as hard as you like; you won't find one. Or just go ahead and make one up since you are demonstrably prone to believing mythical tales anyway.

As I said, you are un unrepentant liar. If you believe in Christ, you had better rectify the situation by providing proof or retracting your statement.

Reply to
Spender

Paul Harvey likes to occasionally mention bogus studies on the medical power of prayer also. Very sad. He's a very respectable man in most all aspects, but he is a tad gullible.

Medical proof for prayer? I'll accept it given an example in which medical science without mythology fairs just as well.

One example? To date there is no record of a person surviving complete decapitation. Medical science is working on this and they are surprising close, in theory, to being able to perform a head transplant.

But let's keep science out of the equation to make the results clear and spectacular. Find a case of decapitation, have Curt pray for the victim - and to be nice I'll accept Curt placing the head in the general vicinity of where it belongs on the body - and have the person be completely healed.

I'll believe in God then. But sorry, I find it hard to believe in God healing things that a doctor can heal with a prescription pad. Especailly since God and the doctor will have the exact same record of success.

Another example? Skydivers with complete chute failures. Why is it that only a few have ever survived? Not enough faithful Christian skydivers?

How about gunshot wounds to the head? Isn't it curious that God's ability, or willingness, to heal the victims is succeeds or fails in direct proportion to the number of rounds that entered the skull? Again, God does no better than a physician in this respect.

Reply to
Spender

You take comfort in the idea of people going to hell? You are one sick bastard. Christ would cry over such an idea, not find comfort in it.

Reply to
Spender

Isn't it a reference to a little old lady allegedly telling Bertrand Russell that the world is flat and rests on the back of an infinite tower or turtles?

I hope they are chocolate turtles. Then if you fall off the earth you at least have a yummy food supply all the way down.

Reply to
Spender

It's from a story about Bertrand Russell giving a lecture on the solar system. When he was done an old woman told him authoritatively that the earth is actually a flat disk resting on the back of a giant turtle.

Bertrand asked her what the turtle was standing on, and she replied "You're clever, young man, very clever. But it's turtles all the way down."

If I recall correctly, Stephen Hawking recounted the tale in A Brief History of Time.

Reply to
Spender

How can you pray for another person to change? What happened to the free will that pissed God off so much he damned all of mankind?

Reply to
Spender

I'm pretty sure cumchere isn't Christ and can be safely killfiled.

Just an idea...

Dale

Reply to
Dale