Bachy Fairburns are go!

I do. :-) However, the central Canadian winter still tops this little list.

I used to live in Montreal, the city that gets more snow than any other in the world, IIRC.

-- Cheers

Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

And that's just what they deserve for being so violently anglophobic. There

*is* some natural justice out there!

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Steve W

"Steve W" wrote

LOL - they should have French Alpine snow falls, and mountain temperature too. Oh, and the French colonial immigrants to boot!

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Montreal regularly gets -30c or colder temps for days on end and average snowfall of 2.14 metres (84 in) per winter. It snows on average more in Montreal, than Moscow, Russia. The coldest month of the year is January, which has a daily average temperature of -10.4 °C (13 °F) ? averaging a daily low of -14.9 °C (5.2 °F). Due to wind chill, the perceived temperature can be much lower than the actual temperature and wind chill factor is often included in Montreal weather forecasts

-- Cheers

Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

Even with Global Warming?

I remember going to Montreal the first Christmas I was in Canada (1965). The first night there it was -20°F; a week later it was +60°F! Weird...

Reply to
MartinS

No such thing. A myth perpertraited by the scaremongering media.

In the 1960s, they were predicting an ice age, and it wasn;t and animated movie.

The few short years that the doom and gloom crowd has been predicting global warming is far too short a period in which to judge. It's not even the most minor blip on the Earth's history radar. And so what? At onetime most of Canada was tropical ot sub-tropical. Me? I'm just stocking up on suntan lotion and looking forward to a retirement of warm and balmy winters.

Same thing happen when my grandparents visited us in December 1968, I think it was. I picked them up at Dorval Airport with it snowing like mad and 12 inches on the ground already. They were most impressed and a little nervous driving in such deep snow. Next morning dawned clear and bright. Within a few days, all the snow was gone and we had a green Christmas. Come the day in mid January they were supposed to fly back to the UK. Snowing to beat all heck with about 18 inches on the ground. I got them to the airport and left them in the hands of BOAC (Remember them?) and headed back home. That night, my grandparents spent the night in the Q.E. hotel in downtown Montreal as all flights had been cancelled. The flew out the next afternoon.

-- Cheers

Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

"Roger T." skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@grapevine.islandnet.com...

temperature

Sounds like a swedish spring, the coldest I've been here was a balmy -43c many years ago in which the hairs in my nose froze and BROKE OFF! Sweden is well into the arctic and its winters are very dry if snowy , but very very chilly :) Finland is worse although they also have the terror of snowplows driven by blind drivers warmed by vodka...... and Ha ha's filled with snow and anglophobic trees in the forests that dump a half tonne of snow down your neck as you walk under them.... oh yes my left foots been nailed to the floor so I am forced to stay :) Beowulf (who's actually buried 20 miles from here!)

Reply to
Beowulf

Reply to
Beowulf

You three sound like you should be drinking Chateau de Chasselai! :-D

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Chateau Anything, not even "Chateau Thames Embankment" won't be strong enough to keep out that cold.

Now, something darker from the Caribbean or perhaps a little malty from Scotland may help.

-- Cheers

Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

It was a quote from the "Four Yorkshiremen" sketch which everybody thinks came from from Monty Python but was in fact from "At Last, The 1948 Show".

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"Graham Thurlwell" wrote

So that shud, it wa just Queens' Inglish.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Graham Thurlwell" wrote

Good for you Graham, but do accept that any pre-nationalisation layout these days is very much minority interest.

I wish Hornby or Bachmann would produce one!

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"John Turner" skrev i meddelandet news:ei0a00$424$ snipped-for-privacy@newsreaderm2.core.theplanet.net...

Nope thats only spoken in Lancashire :) Beowulf

Reply to
Beowulf

"Graham Thurlwell" wrote

I was very much talking about eras modelled, and by inference sales potential. These days (here in the north east) sales are roughly 50:50 steam/diesel, and I would say that 80% of the sales of steam era models relate to the British Railways era. That's why I conclude that the pre-nationalisation era is a minority interest amongst modellers as a whole.

I've no idea why Hornby chose to model an A4 in BR black, but I have to say it didn't sell at all well, and I'm fairly sure we've still got some unsold examples on our shelves.

I can believe that too. The upsurge in quality and variety of RTR models has had a signficant impact on the UK 4mm scale kit market, and many 7mm modellers see the same happening ultimately in O-scale.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I assume it was so that TMC could use it as a base model for various custom options.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

I've always thought that one of the biggest influences on British-outline exhibition layouts is that the modeller is attempting to recreate the railways as they were during his/her childhood, which would certainly explain the popularity of BR steam and green diesels.

It's interesting that over the last few years there's been an awful lot of BR blue stuff released when it used to be almost impossible to get new.

TBH, the main reason we're modelling pre-war LNER is that Dad felt Thorpe Thewles would be a nice station to model and it closed to passengers in 1931.

LNER wartime black ;-)

Must be the Collector market. Other oddities are the original-condition Great Northern in early LNER livery with suffixed number (a period of, what, four months duration?), Humourist and that very nice LNER green model of W.P. Allen that I would've bought if it wasn't for the fact I felt that there was something odd about it and decided to double-check the information I had at home.

I wouldn't be surprised, TBH.

[John would like an RTR G5]

Those Bachmann Brassworks locos are certainly very nice. My Dad's bought a couple.

I actually agree with you on the G5, as I'd imagine it'd be ideal for a lot of modellers in the North-East, particularly those modelling branch lines, and there's a lot of potential for different liveries due to the longevity of the class. The same thing could be said of a number of other ex-NER designs.

Reply to
Graham Thurlwell

"Graham Thurlwell" wrote

I would certainly want a couple for my planned OO-scale BR(NER) branch line layout. Whereas I've absolutely no interest in the BR(SR) M7 0-4-4T which Hornby have just released, excellent model though it is.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

modelling

liveries

branch line

0-4-4T which

Yes, but anyone modelling the SE to the SW of England would, although they will have little need for a G8 - or for that matter a V1 or 3. Horses for courses John...

Reply to
Jerry

"Jerry" wrote

Not arguing that point Jerry, but a balance geographical release rather than flooding the market with Southern prototypes might leave more modellers happy.

John.

Reply to
John Turner