Bachy Fairburns are go!

Very few ex LMS loco's got used on the WR and ever fewer got used on the SR, yes there were visiting Loco's of ex LMS origin but that doesn't create the feel, what don't *you* understand?

I really can't see why you can't see that, one can't model an area (realistically) if the *native* loco's and coaching stock are not available, for example, one of the reasons that the Kings Cross (inner/outer) suburban area or the LNER can't be modelled (without kit / scratch building) effectively during the BR steam era is because the widely used L1 tank locos and Quadarc coaching stock is not available, even though just about all the major express, mixed traffic locos and mainline coaching stock is. I would love Bachmann or Hornby to release a L1 tank but I'm not going to hold my breath, and as for the transition era and a Baby Deltic....

I suspect you are finding argument to disguise your dislike of the SR so you don't have to admit to it, no problems, but please don't attempt to impose your likes / dislikes on others - Oh and don't assume that just because you don't sell many SR locos please don't assume traders south and inline with the Themes don't! ;~)

Reply to
Jerry

Ivatt 2MT tanks were quite common on the Southern region being used as a replacement for aging M7 and O2 tank engines. I think I am right in saying that Fairburn tanks were not uncommon on the Southern prior to the introduction of the standard 4MT tanks. In the final years of steam it became more common for ex LMS engines to be sent to Eastleigh for overhaul as depots closed further north.

Chris Packman

Railway Pictures Website:

Chris Packman

You do need a 'critical mass' of engines and coaches to model a specific region/period. So once they start on a new one then they need to bang em out as quickly as possible as well as show a commitment to continue. Presumably thats why Hornby try to have a full range from shunter to express passenger for each region.

Was thinking the other day about how early an LMS layout could be with only RTR. Recon around the start of 1930's would be ok.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

The WC&PLR handed over two A1X's which became GWR nos 5 & 6 and named Portishead and Clevedon respectively. During WWII both sat in SPM roundhouse and rarely moved.

Reply to
Peter Abraham

John, Where did 2-6-4T's run on the GW?

Reply to
Peter Abraham

GW panniers worked as far north as BR went!! Perth, Wick Helmsdale etc

I do have photos of same.

Reply to
Peter Abraham

Both makers seem to be fixated with pacifics. These were confined to a very small part of the railway system and in any case are unrealistic on a normal layout -- I could not get away with it on mine even though it is larger than some. I have no doubt that John is right in his analysis but minority interests have their rights even if it is 49 varieties of a Bulleid light pacific. (I actually often went up to Bath to see them it being the friendliest MPD in the world!)

Reply to
Peter Abraham

"Peter Abraham" wrote

They certainly worked the Dornoch branch - not many M7s up that far though! ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Peter Abraham" wrote

I've got a couple of photographs of them somewhere, one at Reading I think the other near Acton. I suspect they'd worked in on inter-regional freights.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Nelsons,

region

Someone else who can't understand plain English, what don't you understand about "Other than in special cases / joint systems..."? :~(

Reply to
Jerry

Bulleids light Pacifics are the exception to that. It was quite common to see one on a one coach train in the far west on a daily basis. The ACE (a named express from Waterloo) was typically a 3 coach train west of Okehampton in the winter. Both of these scenarios are easily replicated on even a small layout.

Indeed, you cannot accurately recreate the southern west of Salisbury without at least a handfull of the pacifics!

Reply to
John Ruddy

No, but Hornby could easily use the chassis to create some other Drummond 0-4-4 tanks built for the Caley.....

Reply to
John Ruddy

But you can't staff your layout based on interregionals if you are modelleing Acton or Reading you need large numbers of ex-GW engines - but you can add a few ex-LMS or BR standard engines to complete the picture. You could even have a Bulleid Pacific on an interegional working through to Oxford.

Reply to
John Ruddy

"John Ruddy" wrote

I think you'll find that the chassis would not be an exact fit for the Caley

0-4-4Ts, and that they would create a new beast if they decided to go along that route. It certainly wouldn't fit a NER G5 0-4-4T.

John.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"John Ruddy" wrote

I'm not suggesting you should, just that some prototype were found on a daily basis over a wider geographical area than others.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Its my layout and I'll do what I want .... Anyway Royal Scot seen shunting South Derbyshire colliery sidings in 1960's. Then theres the time of bomb damage on WCML .... so expresses round Ashby/Nuneaton railway. Sir Nigel Gresley visits Coalville open day (whoops LNER and streamlined)

Simon

Reply to
simon

Yes indeed, but some like to re create a chosen area in a realistic manor...

Reply to
Jerry

We only have a modest house. Within reason so do I, but then allow bit of imagination and fun with some specials.

Simon

Reply to
simon

Fair comment!

Reply to
Peter Abraham

No need to be so rude, crude and unactractive thank you.

Reply to
Peter Abraham