It's been a while ... what new RTR models would folks like to see

The above photo is of a 4-2-0. If you zoom in, the nameplate reads "Folkstone 1851", so it's not "Liverpool".

The large buider's plate reads:

Stephenson & Co., Engineers, Newcastle South Eastern Railway London to Paris Folkstone & Boulogne & Dover & Calais Crampton Patentee

Note the spelling of Folkstone; it was standardised as Folkestone around the mid 19th century. [Wiki]

Reply to
MartinS

which, surely, would make it an 0-2-4?

Also used by the Furness, in quite a big way. Some of them lasted to be taken over by the LM&S, though I don't think they ever got LM&S livery. IIRC one of the southern companies also had some, and the L&NW may have done too at one point (via something they took over).

Yes, I'd like one. Or more than one. And several of the equivalent small goods 0-6-0s, which lasted almost into BR days in GW ownership (ex- Cambrian and Mid-Wales examples) and into the 1930s on the LM&S (ex- Furness engines).

.. and I'd love to see an example of the Hackworth school of design done...

Reply to
Andy Breen

which, surely, would make it an 0-2-4?

Also used by the Furness, in quite a big way. Some of them lasted to be taken over by the LM&S, though I don't think they ever got LM&S livery. IIRC one of the southern companies also had some, and the L&NW may have done too at one point (via something they took over).

Yes, I'd like one. Or more than one. And several of the equivalent small goods 0-6-0s, which lasted almost into BR days in GW ownership (ex- Cambrian and Mid-Wales examples) and into the 1930s on the LM&S (ex- Furness engines).

.. and I'd love to see an example of the Hackworth school of design done...

Reply to
Andy Breen

And probably all in different colours. Lots of the early companies painted 1st, 2nd and (if they had 'em, if they /had/ to have them...) 3rd coaches in different colours (think the NER was the last to do this, well into the 1860s). Of course, there was a tendency to put 3rds on the end of goods trains, and only run 'em at night. Passenger trains would probably have been 4-5 coaches typically, at least one a brake. At least, that's the impression I'm getting from the accounts I see of the early-modern railways. Excursions were different, of course. Then it seems to have been a case of hang as many coaches as could be rounded up on, put as many engines on as would move it, and go to it. 4+ engines not uncommon, 6 seems to have happened at least once (on a train of over 50 coaches.... yike!)

NOt sure about actively powered - you don't really want it moving off on its own, at least not uphill..

Reply to
Andy Breen

According to Mike Sharman, Folkstone was the first of a class of ten rigid-framed jackshaft-drive 4-2-0 Cramptons for the SER. You can see on the picture that the connecting rod emerges halfway along the frames.

They were according to his references both fast (75mph top speed, 60mph average) and powerful. One of them lasted, unrebuilt, until 1874, quite a record for a Crampton in the UK especially given the unconventional transmission !

Nick

Reply to
Nick Leverton

That was another of Crampton's patents.

He is remembered primarily for trying to get the kind of power and speed the GWR got out of its broad gauge engines, for the standard gauge, by combining as large a boiler as would fit above the frames and large driving wheels in the only place there was room a high axle.

But he also tried to minimise hammer blow, and the intermediate jackshaft was intended to do this.

One of his prettiest engines was a long wheelbase 0-4-0T built by E.B.Wilson which looked like a well tank version of the 0-6-0T design Manning Wardle inherited from them.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

speaking of which, has anyone built anything from

? They look splendid on the webmail

Reply to
bobharvey

I may well be investing in one of these[1], then hunting for someone to build it (I know my limits: the only thing I can reliably produce with a soldering iron are burned fingers...)

[1] The goods Sharpie, of course. Though a pair of NLR 51s did end up on Wheatley's line, running boat expresses.... Hmm..
Reply to
Andy Breen

That Kirtley Well tank does look very nice - perhaps one day, will add to ever expanding wish list :-)

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

I have a photo somewhere (not sure where offhand) of a German machine designed for moving a wagon on an industrial siding. It has/had a small motorcycle type motor with a lawn-mower type handle and a single driving wheel. One pushed it on the rail under the wagon wheel. As it drove into the "V" between the wheel and rail it used the wagon weight to obtain traction.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg.Procter

Forget locomotives and rolling stock. What I would like to see is some decent "rtr" electrically-operated signals, stop, distant and stop and distant on the same post. As I've said before, if Hornby could do them in 1939, then why can't they be done now?

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

Locopulser?

Reply to
Andy Breen

I for one, would like an up to date suburban DMU such as Class 117.

Reply to
Keith Patrick

please keep taking the tablets :-)

Reply to
simon

Reply to
Keith Patrick

I would like a D11/1 (Director).

Reply to
sutartsorric

Crosti boilered 9F - after all the chassis and mechanics exist , its only a new moulding for the body..

Reply to
winston

"simon" wrote

Ah well, maybe in these times of financial austerity, the pair of them may stop playing silly buggers.

There's plenty of unmodelled prototypes around for there to be no need for duplication.

Now where's the B16, G5, J25, J27, K1, Q6 & 4F I would so desperately like to have on our shelves.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

4F - yes please, not sure about those others though. Plus how about a few more industrials - Hunslet, Pecket etc would go down a treat.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Well, it's common knowledge that one of the major manufacturers has been down to the NYMR and scanned the Q6 so that's likely for this year or next. Another one that's rumoured to be close to release is the G5. In the case of the latter, it'd be nice if they did a tie-in special edition in association with the guys building a new one

Graham Thurlwell