Mad modifcations

A very long time ago I started converting a Lima N gauge class 86 into a class 31 ! I still have it somewhere and the one end I did looks quite good. I don't remember how I thought that I was going to get around the slight lack of two wheels on each bogie.. The power bogie from it was subsequently converted into the worst running 0-4-0 in history.

Some years later I successfully converted a Lima N gauge French diesel into a class 33.

Chris Packman

Railway pictures website

Chris Packman

Fast. Very fast.

Reply to
Wolf K.

Outside valve gear is horrible?????

Reply to
Wolf K.

On 22/02/2008 20:28, Wolf K. said,

On a true GW loco it's sacrilege :-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Very nice. Slightly longer boiler maybe?

I agree, a high sided tender would look better, too.

Reply to
Wolf K.

I always thought the De Glehn atlantics looked good with the Swindon boiler.

But then the only true GW locos had outside frames and inside motion. I wish I'd been able to get to that gala on the Bluebell which had City of Truro and the Dukedog double heading.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

On 22/02/2008 20:40, Wolf K. said,

The front power bogie will actually be moved back a bit, which gives the same sort of boiler/power bogie as the UP Big Boy. That this model has taken no inspiration from at all, honest, guv.

Now that I've dug this out again, I need to tidy it up a bit. I quite like G.Harman's idea as well, although I'll have to see how it looks. Possibly not quite "British" enough!

Reply to
Paul Boyd

On 22/02/2008 19:53, snipped-for-privacy@interalpha.couk said,

I'll give that some thought. I've just a rifle through a couple of general books and found just the sort of thing you mean, attached to a Canadian National 4-6-4. Some of the UP locos had more conventional looking tenders on 6 wheel bogies as wel, which might suit this better.

Lots of food for thought there!

Reply to
Paul Boyd

"Paul Boyd" wrote

With a standard 9F firebox and presumably similar coal consumption, it's likely that a standard 9F tender might have carried enough coal & water for normal operations.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

On 23/02/2008 08:25, John Turner said,

Don't spoil it by thinking practically :-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Hmmm is there a list anywhere on BR steam plans that never came to fruition with the Dieselisation programme?

Reply to
estarriol

Paul Boyd wrote in news:13rtlmklhddiue9 @corp.supernews.com:

Yes, for example my Western has "The" Great Western Railway on the side in a bold Arial font with a crest under each cab. Actually I think it looks quite good ... except of course I have no broad gauge track :-(

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Wot? No "flames" in ghastly purple????

;-)

Reply to
Wolf K.

With Westerns I would be tempted to keep them in the Maroon etc that they really ran in. I always liked the look of the Engine with Chocolate and Cream coaches.

Reply to
estarriol

The message from "estarriol" contains these words:

You need to have a look at "Locos That Never Were" which has many of the various pre-Grouping/pre-Nationalisation drawing offices' flights of fancy. Some rather interesting illustrations - including a GW Pacific (Cathedral class?), and a development of the LM Black 5 using the latest ideas used on the last of the Coronation class, turning a 4-6-0 into a

2-6-2...

The book is probably out-of-print, but a local library should be able to find you a copy somewhere - Widnes has/had a copy.

Reply to
David Jackson

This is a good source because they are based on company drawings so they get the basic things right.

The GWR Cathedral pacific was attributed to Mattingley and his team, in Hawksworth's drawing office, as an unofficial project that was squashed when he found out about it.

There is a picture of one of the earlier proposals for the A4, with the same front end as the Cock o'the North,

My favourite was a pretty little Hawksworth project for a lightweight

4-4-0 to replace the remaining Dukes, Bulldogs and Dukedogs. It would have been based on a Swindon version of the Ivatt class 2 boiler in the same way his Counties used a boiler based on the Stanier 8F.

He gives it the same continuous splashier his Counties had, and outside Walschaerts motion.

There are some really strange ones too - like Baldwin's proposal to the L&Y for a 2-10-0 4-cylinder Vauclain compound. A horrible arrangement where adjacent high and low pressure cylinders shared the same crosshead.

And a Derby 0-4-4-0 tank engine that finished up as the Flatiron tank. A rigid duplex engine not articulated. It would have slipped horribly.

There was a rather attractive large Bulleid 4-6-4 tank engine looking rather like his light pacifics. This was one of the stages on the project that finished up as his Leader class.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

The message from Christopher A. Lee contains these words:

Also the LMS streamlined version of the Leader, looking strangely Pendolino-ish but with steam coming from safety-valves on the roof, and the fireman leaning from the "cab" halfway along the loco.

Pride of place has to go to the picture of 70000 - no not Britannia, but the LMS idea of the WCML electrification. 70000 is a Swiss-style 2-Do-2 and is shown leaving Lancaster southbound with the LNWR Royal Train.

Reply to
David Jackson

The lack of any pickups on the power bogie would be a definite problem. Other than that, my example was a superb runner. the non- powered bogie was compensated which resulted in excellent pickup.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

I once tried to butcher a triang DMU power bogie into a very approximate model of an old 4-wheeled ballast tamper unit called, I think, a "Matisa"? It didn't look right or work right so was scrapped. It was based loosely on the real thing that used to exist with the SRPS when they were based in Springfield Yard in Falkirk, a long time ago! (still in existance, but as the Bo'ness & Kinneil Railway) Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Matisa is the name of a "yellow machine" manufacturer:

Arthur Figgis