A hacker at work? IP 80.46.128.141

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 23:14:44 -0500, Keith R. Williams Gave us:

Dipshit. Local network Ip addresses do not pass through. Doh! Different tier.

Someone at their home is a subscriber client on an ISP's server, to get "authorized" for net access. THAT assigned IP will ALWAYS get reported to inquiries, even with a local net inside your modem port.

20 machines would all report the same IP during their posts.

Your work audit trail ends for external probes at your firewall, but if you pull some illicit shit, your work's own auditing will nab your lame ass internally.

There are differences because instead of using your work place's access to news services (it DOES have them, you know...?) You use your personally subscribed to access to a "news provider".

Find out who you get your T1 or DSL or whatever external link to the world your work has, find out their NNTP server addy, and stop proxying your news access, and your wallet! Hahhah I just saved you gobs o cash.

Big difference.

Reply to
DarkMatter

Your squirming below, with its rather silly and childish gratuitous remarks, fails to save the face that you undoubtedly lost by your assertion that e^(-jwt) decreases with increasing time.

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

Could you please explain exactly what you mean by that, OM? - because I'm confused.

Mr WZ Boson "if it doesn't work, it's Physics"

Reply to
Mr WZ Boson

I've got a snotwobbler. It's called my finger. I put my finger up my nose, pull out a huge great bogey, preferably it's got about an inch of molten snot hanging from the dried and crusty bit and the it wobble it.

Reply to
Whinging Courier

"Cameron Dorrough" wrote in news:brrg5o$4c2$ snipped-for-privacy@perki.connect.com.au:

Except those web sites that are specifically set to generate "opt-in" lists. No reputable company would do so, but there are many that do. It is only marginally different to those local authorities, and that is MOST local authorities, who sell their electoral roles.

Of course, it is always necessary to read, and understand, the small print. I find it easier to use a reputable ISP and never go near any of those you mention, and some others. I have banned my other users from using hotmail etc. I am also close to putting one or two of those companies on my blocked list.

My favourite is the number of people who say "because they have got a firewall, they cannot get a virus." This is because the virii are blocked by the firewall. :-)

Incidentally, I have found that, for me at least, the most effective antivirus solution is not to run Microsoft email software on Intel 80X86 hardware!

Have a safe, secure and Merry Xmas

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

OK, I understand your point :-)

A Web server or news server will generally record the IP address of the client that connects to it. That client IP address may be either the IP address of the real client or the IP address of a proxy or of a system that implements network address translation (NAT).

If the connection is routed through a proxy or a NAT box, then the real client can be identified,as you say, only by examining the logs of the intermediary, if such logs exist. Since there's now a very large number of compromised Windows PCs on the Net running open proxies without logging, anyone who wants to be truly anonymous has little difficulty in ensuring that they can't be traced.

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Mann

Very common tuning is to turn off the hostname lookup for logging, i.e. record only numeric data. This saves a DNS lookup per hit and is well worth it if performance is at all an issue.

Since you had to reverse look up the IP to get the hostname, I don't see this?

I think you may be saying that the web-proxy looks like the source of the request. This is correct. It is also true if a firewall is doing NAT. It doesn't have anything to do with DHCP.

Reply to
Andy Cowley

Blimey, we're up to 383 articles in this thread now! Is Airy trying for a Guinness (or Special Brew) Book of Records entry?

Reply to
Frank Turner-Smith G3VKI

The sadness of it is that it's all true.

Typical M3. :-(

73 de G3NYY
Reply to
Walt Davidson

You mean you have just lost the argument.

I have never seen Airy Bean respond to a single post by you, yet you continue to bore the pants off all of us with your childish rants against him. Judging by the response Airy gets, and this thread proves it, he is winning hands down in his quest to wind you up.

BTW Ephram Snotwobbler Jr is a literary character. It's not my fault if some of you are less well-read than myself.

Reply to
Ephram Snotwobbler Jr

What's sad about it? I don't know anyone that doesn't enjoy a good bogey.

You may even try to deny it, but in those private moments, I bet even you are human ;-)

Reply to
Whinging Courier

What argument was that?

Careful. Any further and you'll hit a kidney.

He doesn't reply because I beat him unto the ground and he's refused to play ever since. IIRC he finished his argument at that time with 'Oh poo!", a masterpiece of logic and presentation. But that doesn't mean that the mistakes in his postings should go unanswered. After all, he might, just might, learn something.

Am I supposed to care? I think not.

Reply to
Me

something............................................... .......................

That is just downright silly, you can't expect a few posts on a newsgroup to change Gareth's life time habit?

Reply to
Brian Reay

Well, despite trepidation about being drawn into the religious side of mathematics, and if we just look at the case of e^(iwt), I vaguely remember from my A-level days that you could write it as ...

cos(wt) + i sin(wt) (Euler's formula)

... and aside from the fact that the 'size' of a complex number doesn't really have any meaning, you can write its modulus (the nearest equivalent that I can think of) as ...

sqrt((cos(wt))**2 + (sin(wt))**2)

... which is, of course, 1

Also ... the domain of the values of the function f(t)=e^(iwt) are bounded by +-1 on both real and complex axes.

Or have I missed something?

Mind you, Mr Bean does seem to be a bit of a prat (but that's just my opinion, not necessarily a provable truth :))

Mr WZ Boson

Reply to
Mr WZ Boson

You really are a 'tard. My work *fixed* address is reserved as one of the originals, yet doesn't appear on the net.

Try inquiring this! I respond occasionally from work, often from home, though there is no difference in my headers. Are you drunk.

Try this one idjit! I'm responding from home. My headers will show the *exact* same thing as if I were responding from work.

How the hell do you know? You haven't a clue about me, or where I work. Are you drunk tonight? You're making less sense than normal, if that's possible.

Certainly, and for good reason. TYhe point is that the headers do not tell all. It's up to the server to fill in those details. Indeed there is no good reason to pass any client information to the Usenet.

You're drunk. Please tell me who my ISP is based on this post. Once again, you're a phool!

Reply to
Keith R. Williams

I must have missed that bit, along with everybody else.

True, but not by a paranoid obsessive who bores the pants off people with nugatory comments.

Why do you expect him to learn something you didn't?

Did someone say you should? We all know that the only thing you care about is your own self- importance. Talking of which, you haven't recently bored us with the tale of how brilliant you were at Morse Code while logging at a contest, and how the radio amateurs were staggered at your alleged competetence in the mode. Surely that's due for a re-run isn't it?

Sam

Reply to
Ephram Snotwobbler Jr

Predictable, boring and repetitive response by a paranoid obsessive.

Reply to
Ephram Snotwobbler Jr

Predictable, boring and repetitive response by a paranoid obsessive.

Reply to
Ephram Snotwobbler Jr

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 22:31:32 -0500, Keith R. Williams Gave us:

It doesn't appear because local nets are not the same as wide nets, dipshit.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 22:31:32 -0500, Keith R. Williams Gave us:

If your work acts as your ISP, then it is an easy determination.

Reply to
DarkMatter