A hacker at work? IP 80.46.128.141

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 22:31:32 -0500, Keith R. Williams Gave us:

Everyone has to pay for their access to the backbone through someone. Every ISP I have ever seen has NNTP servers. If not, they don't qualify too well as ISPs... DOH!

If your company is directly on the net, then you missed out.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 22:31:32 -0500, Keith R. Williams Gave us:

You're an australian retard.

Reply to
DarkMatter

Well. *he * didn't. Try and keep up with the plot.

No-one's forcing you to read it. Are you volunteering for the post of Bean-corrector? It's your's if you want it.

I think it's called 'living more in hope than expectation'.

I never claimed to be brilliant, but thanks for the upgrade. In fact, you remind me that I was awarded the accolade of 'playing in the big leagues' by one Ge(ral)d, who then seemed to spend ages denying he's ever said it, and certainly not explaining what he meant. ITMT, if you're bored, don't read it. No-one's forcing you to. BTW, mind that kidney, you could do some damage, not least to your self-esteem and public image.

Reply to
Me

Wow! You've really gone and done it now. Don't you realise I'm in Bean's kill-file? He only sees my postings when someone re-posts them? Don't you realise you've forced him into a position where he's got to reply? Unless you're in his kill-file too, along with all the others.....

Reply to
Me

i suggest that you change that to free opinion expressing forum.

then again as your header indicates your are 8 hours behind, it indicates that the 8hours may actually be the LSB of just how far you may REALLY be.

Reply to
class_a_zpk_12wpm_unlike_2800

The law, as phrased, does not require that you actually access data or programs - just that you take steps in preparation to do so -it is very specific in that. Doing almost anything which could help in accessing the data or programs could be considered illegal unless you have some other good explaination why you are doing it - ISPs and internet administrators can easily find an explaination but the rest of us could have some difficulty explaining why we have, in quick succession, scanned all sorts of obscure ports :-)

Martin (G8FXC)

Reply to
Martin

There's no case law yet, but there's at least a possibility that port scanning may be illegal under the CMA (in England).

But it intrigues me that you think that (all?) ISPs do port scanning because I'm not aware of any that do this. Some may try a TCP connect to, say port 80, if running a Web server is contrary to the T&Cs of the particular ISP and some may do proactive checking for open mail relays and proxies of various types but this sort of activity isn't really "port scanning" of the sort that nmap (for example) can do.

I can't think of any reason why an ISP should want to scan a range of ports on a customer's machine. Can you enlighten me?

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Mann

Sounds like you have his number...we don't call him Don'tMatter for nothing!

Reply to
Ross Mac

I notice that I've now been assaulted by a DimBulb FourFer. Dimbulb, if you want to lecture others on netiquite, you should follow some yourself. It's simply rude to answer a single post multiple times. This requires multiple answers which causes an exponential growth in articles. Perhaps that's your plan, to limit discussion. Oh, well...

My work *fixed* addresses are in the *reserved* IPv4 range. You wouldn't know anything about this though.

Reply to
Keith R. Williams

No clue, eh? Figgrs.

Reply to
Keith R. Williams

You are stupid (big stretch here folks). Not all ISPs bother with NNTP anymore. Most haven't a clue what it is, so it's not a priority. I pay for NewsGuy because my ISP really doesn't care to keep their news servers current. Newsguy also allows me to access the same servers with the same identity no matter what network I'm attached to.

My company *is* directly net attached. Guess again.

Reply to
Keith R. Williams

Australian? Really? I'd like to visit there sometime. Guess again. You really are stupid (nothing new to see here folks, please move along!).

Retard? You've been spanked with this accusation before.

Reply to
Keith R. Williams

True.

Now that's just plain wrong.

You can do the same thing with Google, but it's free. So why pay?

DM, large companies (like IBM) don't mind wasting the limited resources of routable addresses, even though it's completely unnecessary. I suppose it makes them feel important. ;-)

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

Perhaps I should rephrase that. Most *people* haven't a clue what "news" is, so it's not a priority for ISPs.

Google sucks. I'm willing to pay for services maintained to my standards.

...or perhaps they don't want to spend the money to change

300,000+ systems that work? There is a lot of inertia there.
Reply to
Keith R. Williams

Dimbulb criticized me for posting twice under the same post.....well, I did it because I left something out...then he said the ID's were the same...wrong again...then he headed to this thread and posted 4 times under the same post.....Now he thinks you are in Australia....close as I can tell, you are from California (just a guess from you news provider)....Looks like Don'tMatter missed by a couple of continents....I still say he's swallowing the bong water again!!.....As the British say...."what a wanker" this guy is!

Reply to
Ross Mac

Saw that, but figured you were handling things just fine. ;-)

Opposite corner (sorta) of the 48 from my news server (NewsGuy is a payfer news company, primarily). Isn't the Internet wunnerful?

He's been hooked on bong water for some time!

Reply to
Keith R. Williams

At least I hit the right continent!....Have a Great Holiday... Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 22:09:08 -0500, Keith R. Williams Gave us:

Better watch out, or I'll post a copy of your key ID.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 22:13:49 -0500, Keith R. Williams Gave us:

Sorry, dipshit, but if an ISP offers "full internet access" it is assumed that they are including usenet access, or they subscribe to a server and proxy it. If not, it ain't "full internet access".

Get a clue. NNTP is a part of any proper internet access package.

Reply to
DarkMatter

Ooooooo I'll bet the whole net is worried now!! Our rubber helmeted tard in bicycle knickers with keyboard bruises on his knuckles is on a rampage!!! Fire up your bong again DopeMatter and enjoy some of that medical marijuana you grow!!

Reply to
Ross Mac