Flip Kwikset left-hand lock knob to right-hand keyhole reversal

How...? the little extra pin still retracts when you push the latch back. unless you can stop that from happening, you will always be able to use the library card trick.

nate

Roger Cann wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

The cylinder clips in place with two spring steel clips at 180 degrees to one another. This allows it to be flipped for proper keyway orientation. It's designed for removal with a special tool but you you can also probe the clips from the rear with a sharp pick or other instrument. Note that this lock is also vulnerable to a widely available tool that removes the cylinder from the front even while locked so the security that it provides is next to nill.

Reply to
Steve

The little extra pin is called an anti pick feature. If it is depressed, you should not be able to push the strike back.

Reply to
DanG

This is total BS again showing how little you know about the trades you hack at. It can be popped with a screwdriver (or two) of the right dimensions or a sharp pick or anything that will physically fit for that matter.

Reply to
Steve

Now after somebody who actually knows what he's talking about tells you it can be you start going on about popping it with screwdrivers afterall. Go get a job flipping burgers and quit butchering things as a 'locksmith' and 'HVAC tech'.

Reply to
Steve

"Stormin Mormon" <cayoung61-&spamblock*-@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:45ab93c8$0$8950$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com...

have to disagree, done it many times with one screw driver. "without damaging the clips"

Reply to
Key

That's all true but the fact is since they sell their product, probably most of it, at retail straight to consumers, who for the most part won't know how to remove the cylinder, they should IMHO include good directions and the tool and just add a couple bucks to the cost of the lockset. They could also sell it with loose cylinders to be popped in at install once the handing was known.

Reply to
Steve

actually it can be popped out from the rear with a blunt ended punch :-)

Reply to
Key

Reply to
Steve

That fact that you couldn't figure them out isn't surprising and doesn't mean they were garbage.

Reply to
Steve

agree, they shue could. they use to include a tool in the box. but that was many years ago...

Reply to
Key

That's wrong. The pins in the keyway should be on top. Following your instructions they may or may not end up that way. If the Keyway orientation is not right for the handing of the installation then the only way to correct it is to flip the cylinder.

Reply to
Steve

You don't absolutely need to pull the lock cylinder to install the lock and have it work but the keyway may be upside down. The lock will still work and the people who are saying you don't need to flip it probably don't even know that the pins are supposed to be at the top of the keyway. If they aren't, even on an interior install where water etc isn't a factor all debris from normal operation winds up going right down the pin wells. A broken or collapsed spring will also hang it up whereas if the pins are at the top gravity is your friend.

Reply to
Steve

The catch is that the pins may or may not be at the bottom as opposed to the top. If they are at the bottom the only way to correct it is to pop out the cylinder and turn it 180 degrees.

Reply to
Steve

Why the hell do you do this? The lack of a ">" in front of your text and the presence of it in front of the quoted text as well as the information following "from" tells everybody who is writing what.

Reply to
Steve

I've found when you knock it out it's the same as pulling it from the front. Usually distorts the clips a little which granted is a small thing and easily fixed, but it bugs me to even slightly damage something I'm being paid to work on, if I don't absolutely have to. Then again some people complain I'm a damn perfectionist and it drives them nuts....

Reply to
Steve

Before my time. I always thought they should put one in there. Cost to them would be less than 50 cents (I can never remember the ASCII code for that damn cent sign when I want it).

Reply to
Steve

That's because you either know a trick that works with SOME door/frame combinations or (more likely) the deadlatch was already bottomed in the hole along with the spring latch rendering it useless. You cannot credit card shim a properly installed, dead latched (which is pretty much all of them sold today) KIK used in a good solid door/frame.

If you want anything that will cause someone

No in many applications they can't (and neither can you) which tells me most of your experience comes from watching Jim Rockford on TV. It always worked great for him, of course there was never anything in the way when he would do those cool J turns in the firebird either.

Even so they can sneak the card around the corner above the latch

Reply to
Steve