Flip Kwikset left-hand lock knob to right-hand keyhole reversal

"I can get one of them at the auto parts store. Matter of fact, my cousin Jimmy carries one in his trunk. I oughta just call him and save all that money you're charging me."
I did get a call once from a fellow locked out of his car, about 200 feet from an auto parts store. He'd walked in, and bought himself a harpoon style Slim Jim, and worked on his own car for awhile before calling a locksmith.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon
I have a thumg and fingers -- and can't draw sketches of people. Neither can I perform surgery. Nor can I fly a commercial air liner.
You think something else is needed, also?
I like your comment about the ADA
Reply to
Stormin Mormon
The picking scenes not withstanding Rockford files was one of the best shows on TV. AFAIK he did most of his own driving too.
Reply to
Steve
I don't like them, and they do stiffen up if they aren't used much but the costal environment is probably some of the problem. Schlage F is a much better lock. Better made. Better finish. Just better.
I have a couple Kwikset deadbolts still installed at my place on doors that aren't unlocked from the outside so I just deadpinned the outside cylinders with a couple scrap drill bits, now they are pick proof and drill resistant ;), the sheerline anyway, and put the Medeco Maxums I reccomend to most other people to replace them on the doors that get opened from outside. Couldn't really justify them though on doors that are mostly a big pane of glass.
Reply to
Steve
went on a call yesterday to BFE an hour away. lady said "they been working on it for an hour now!" I said how about you call me when there're done. she stopped'em and I was on my way. btw that 2002 Tahoe no longer works with a key... slim jim took the linkage out. should've called me first before her husband went at it.
oh yeah 1 more thing "You know if my cousin was here (and not in prison) he'd be in there already!"
Reply to
Roger Cann
Yeah I hear something like this alot "I used to be able to get into anything with a slimjim, not no more them damn side airbags will kill ya" lol
Reply to
Roger Cann
There are a fair number. You will find fewer on commercial applications where the door and frame are usually both steel and there is very little give or flex.
Reply to
Steve
Yep, I've heard that kind of thing. Somewhere I'm remembering someone who said that klink klunk noise (linkage falling to the bottom of the inside of the door) means it's about to open.
I think car opening combines the worse of two worlds. First, everyone wants to be a hero. Love that adrenalin rush. Second, it's pavlovian. If you can pop one car out of ten, it keeps you going. Like the lottery tickets. Everyone's heard of the guy who got the million dollar score off of scratchers. And Uncle Jimmy was able to dependably unlock that 1969 Buick every time in under two seconds, so he's just got to be able to get that Tahoe!
Isn't it bit insulting when folks compare you to a jailbird?
Reply to
Stormin Mormon
sometimes I jump out of my car with two size hammers and exclaim "Foriegn or Domestic?" sometimes people even answer me like that's how I'm gonna open it! lol Actually I love my high tech tool kit.. even if I did leave miami 20+ years ago with the flag I might add! Roger
Reply to
Roger Cann
I was only talking doing this as a last resort. like when one mis-places their removal tool. it will not do germinate damage. (unless ya use a sledge hammer) :-)
Reply to
Key
It would be nice to have a DIAGRAM of those two apparently deeply hidden clips as locating them was too difficult for me when I tried on my own. The good news is I complained to Kwikset on their web site and they very kindly responded multiple tikmes to my email.
The first time they responded, they said many people just leave the locks upside down. When I responded back that I thought that was unprofessional, they kindly wrote back that they would send me the tool for free.
I must say that my anger at them subsided at that point as the Kwikset support person was truly trying to help me.
I've since learned this is a "grade 3" lock and that a grade 1 or 2 would be better. Since the door has glass panels, I wonder if it really matters. I guess breaking glass leaves a mess while removing the lock cylinder does not?
If a thief removes the lock cylinder with that tool, does it leave a telltale mess or is it transparent?
Reply to
MsMonarchdancer
The tool that Kwikset will send you works from the inside of the lock after removing the spindle. You have to take the lock off the door first. A crook wouldn't use that tool... Maybe an exterior used cylinder removal tool like the A-1 Puller. That lock will work fine on that glass door (oil the piss out of it prior to installation). Besides there're going to get in anyway if they want. Glass....
I can't believe how long this subject is floating around. HD and Lowes has that tool in there rekeying kit. They would've popped the cylinder out for you for free. At least they do and would've here! Hell I would've done it for free. With my fancy Rytan removal tool. :-) Kwikset probably sent you a tool just to stop all the emails (polite way of saying "shut you up"). They probably caught wind of all these.
Roger
Reply to
Roger Cann
You have to remove the spindle and then probe down the spindle hole. If you don't have the tool and have to do them one at a time it helps to insert a key in the lock and use it to pull so the clip you did doesn't pop back while you do the 2nd one. It can also just be knocked out like other people have suggested.
Here it is step by step:
DB

Site Timeline