Flip Kwikset left-hand lock knob to right-hand keyhole reversal

Chances are they won't take the time to replace the pop-out.But even if they do, it will look like someone drove a screw into the keyway. The Kwikset-or Tylo, or "kwikkie" or "pop-job" is a very prolific and cheap lock that lots of people buy because they are cheap. I have done plenty of them when I first started doing locksmithing years ago. I don't work on them or rekey them that much because they are so easily replaced. Like the other guy said-you bring it to the shop-I'd probably do it for free. There's probably a lockie out there that would do that-or not for very much.
Next time you want a lock for a door, go stand in front of the door.If it's the front door stand on the outside and stand right in front of where the knob/lever is. Now position your body so that half of you is in front of the door and the other half of you is front of the wall next to the knob/lever. In other words imagine that the frame of the door (next to where the knob/lever is)is a vertical line running parallel to the middle of your body. Stand a few feet away from the frame with your arms down. Now bend your arms at the elbows like you are shooting 2 pistols from the hip. Which hand is closer to the knob/lever? If left hand-It is a left hand door If right hand-it is a right hand door If the door opens outward in either case-it is reverse. So it could be right hand-(If your right hand is closest and it opens inward)or right hand reverse-(If your right hand is closest and the door opens outward) Or left hand-or left hand reverse.
Alot of grade 1 and 2 locks will be handed, so you are better off, especially if you can tell a locksmith"Well, I need a deadbolt for a Left-Hand door" or "I need a deadbolt for a right hand reverse door".
Hope this helps. goma.
Reply to
goma865
Next time you do. Please try to reverse the handing of the lock by twisting the exterior knob 180 degrees (leave the cylinder in). Then put it all back together. Uh, er, I mean TRY to put it back together.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon
I'm confused.
In this thread, people already previously said the handedness was simply a matter of where the hinges are. If the hinges are on the right, it's a right hand door. If the hinges are on the left, it's a left hand door. Or so I was told.
Is that not true? Does it really depend on whether the door opens outward or inward?
Reply to
MsMonarchdancer
on some locks... rh, lh, lhr, & rhr... on some locks and strikes it matters.. not on a Kwikset and rarely if ever a deadbolt! Roger
Reply to
Roger Cann
Then considering you were the first to respond to it why didn't you just give a useful answer the first time you responded? Come to think of it I still haven't seen you tell them how to get it apart and here you are still on the damn thread.
Reply to
Steve
Stormy if you can do it they can do it. Most end users know that if change keys in a master key system ghost to locks they aren't supposed to open the problem needs to be addressed instead of covered up in hopes the customer will "never find out". I've said it before I'll say it again: You are nothing but a hack ripping off the customers you work for. You are living proof of the uselessness of beauracracy. If it were worth anything your 'locksmith' and HVAC/refrigeration 'repair' activities would have been shut down long ago.
From: "Stormin Mormon" <cayoung61-& snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com Newsgroups: alt.locksmithing References: <45912f7b$0$29329$ snipped-for-privacy@news.optusnet.com.au> snipped-for-privacy@news01.syix.com> <4591e8b3$0$5057$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com snipped-for-privacy@i12g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> snipped-for-privacy@i12g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> Subject: Re: anyone have experience using masterkeypro2006 ? Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 22:26:27 -0500 X-Priority: 3 X-MSMail-Priority: Normal X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1409 X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1409 Lines: 41 Message-ID: <45933a7c$1$16947$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com Organization: Road Runner High Speed Online
Two works, in many cases. I did a MK in a factory where someone had filed and ground the plugs. I ended up making a 4-step, and even then I could jiggle a couple of the keys to get em to work in different doors. I hope they never find out.
Reply to
Steve
Then you just got lucky because they have to be flipped fairly often. The odds are about 50/50 on any given job.
Reply to
DB
a.. Left Hand (LH): If the hinges are on the left and the door opens in, it's a left hand door. You push the door with your left hand. a.. Right Hand (RH): If the hinges are on the right and the door opens in, it's a right hand door. You push the door with your right hand. a.. Left Hand Reverse (LHR): If the hinges are on the left and the door opens out, it's a left hand reverse door. You pull the door with your left hand. a.. Right Hand Reverse (RHR): If the hinges are on the right and the door opens out, it's a right hand reverse door. You pull the door with your right hand.
a.. Another way to determine door "handing" is to imagine yourself standing in the doorway with your back against the hinges. Swing your right or left arm in the way that the door swings. If you swing your left arm then the door is left handed. Swing your right arm and it is right handed. This method does not require a reference such as "from the outside" or "from the inside".
above from:
check out (Door Swings) about 2/3rd down the page...
g'day
Reply to
Key
Good news.
It might have taken a hundred posts, but now I have my Kwikset "Tylo" lock cylinders properly set into the entry knobs on my RHR entrance doorway.
Rather than wait for the rather helpful Kwikset Consumer Support to send me the Kwikset cylinder removal tool which they said was in the mail, I went back to Home Depot armed with the helpful suggestions in this thread.
With the confidence gained by all of you posting the information in this thread, I asked for the locks to be reversed. The first floor person said there was no such thing. I didn't waver as I had a printout of your posts in hand. He brought them to the lock-department floor person who said the Kwikset entry knob cylinder reversal instructions were in the package. I gently said "I wish it were true". He analysed the instructions for about three or four minutes before conceding this was true.
Luckily I flagged down the key cutter who knew how to remove the Kwikset Tylo entry knob lock cylinder. She too never knew about the cylinder reversal needs but, after reading my printout of these posts, she at least popped the lock cylinder out in seconds for me. In addition, she handed me a spare Kwikset cylinder removal tool and said "keep it" as she had plenty in her key drawer.
I thank all of you for the expert advice. Without you, I would have gotten the wrong answer at Home Depot.
Even the, shall we say, less than expert advice was helpful in that it helped me gain the confidence that I wasn't the only one clueless about how to properly buy the right lock for my RHR entry doorway!
Thanks to you all this record will help everyone who comes after us with the same lock questions!
Reply to
MsMonarchdancer
It's becomign clear. You are a cheapskate and buying locks at Home Cheepo (And you bought the junky Tylos instead of the medium grade ones or the Titans.) Since it wasn't costing you anything but your time, you post a series of questions to Usenet. Asking for us, for free, to teach you something that locksmiths all across US do as part of their trade.
Then, back to Home Cheepo, and engage three of their people for a period of time. To get them to do what any good locksmith would have done simply, nearly effortlessly, and as part of his (her) job.
I'm starting to understand why some of the tradesmen on other lists say "call a locksmith (or tradesman as the case needs)" instead of doing internet teaching for free.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Site Timeline