Flip Kwikset left-hand lock knob to right-hand keyhole reversal

I'm confused.

In this thread, people already previously said the handedness was simply a matter of where the hinges are. If the hinges are on the right, it's a right hand door. If the hinges are on the left, it's a left hand door. Or so I was told.

Is that not true? Does it really depend on whether the door opens outward or inward?

Reply to
MsMonarchdancer

seen a few myself- they are garbage..

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

Reply to
Roger Cann

Then considering you were the first to respond to it why didn't you just give a useful answer the first time you responded? Come to think of it I still haven't seen you tell them how to get it apart and here you are still on the damn thread.

Reply to
Steve

If the door swings out, it's called a "reverse bevel".

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Stormy if you can do it they can do it. Most end users know that if change keys in a master key system ghost to locks they aren't supposed to open the problem needs to be addressed instead of covered up in hopes the customer will "never find out". I've said it before I'll say it again: You are nothing but a hack ripping off the customers you work for. You are living proof of the uselessness of beauracracy. If it were worth anything your 'locksmith' and HVAC/refrigeration 'repair' activities would have been shut down long ago.

From: "Stormin Mormon" <cayoung61-& snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com Newsgroups: alt.locksmithing References: <45912f7b$0$29329$ snipped-for-privacy@news.optusnet.com.au>

snipped-for-privacy@news01.syix.com>

<4591e8b3$0$5057$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com snipped-for-privacy@i12g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>

snipped-for-privacy@i12g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>

Subject: Re: anyone have experience using masterkeypro2006 ? Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 22:26:27 -0500 X-Priority: 3 X-MSMail-Priority: Normal X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1409 X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1409 Lines: 41 Message-ID: <45933a7c$1$16947$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com Organization: Road Runner High Speed Online

Two works, in many cases. I did a MK in a factory where someone had filed and ground the plugs. I ended up making a 4-step, and even then I could jiggle a couple of the keys to get em to work in different doors. I hope they never find out.

Reply to
Steve

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

Schlage is a waaaaayyyyyy better lock than Kwikset.

Reply to
DB

Then you just got lucky because they have to be flipped fairly often. The odds are about 50/50 on any given job.

Reply to
DB

only the A and D grades..LOL --Shiva--

Reply to
me

a.. Left Hand (LH): If the hinges are on the left and the door opens in, it's a left hand door. You push the door with your left hand. a.. Right Hand (RH): If the hinges are on the right and the door opens in, it's a right hand door. You push the door with your right hand. a.. Left Hand Reverse (LHR): If the hinges are on the left and the door opens out, it's a left hand reverse door. You pull the door with your left hand. a.. Right Hand Reverse (RHR): If the hinges are on the right and the door opens out, it's a right hand reverse door. You pull the door with your right hand.

a.. Another way to determine door "handing" is to imagine yourself standing in the doorway with your back against the hinges. Swing your right or left arm in the way that the door swings. If you swing your left arm then the door is left handed. Swing your right arm and it is right handed. This method does not require a reference such as "from the outside" or "from the inside".

above from:

check out (Door Swings) about 2/3rd down the page...

g'day

Reply to
Key

Good news.

It might have taken a hundred posts, but now I have my Kwikset "Tylo" lock cylinders properly set into the entry knobs on my RHR entrance doorway.

Rather than wait for the rather helpful Kwikset Consumer Support to send me the Kwikset cylinder removal tool which they said was in the mail, I went back to Home Depot armed with the helpful suggestions in this thread.

With the confidence gained by all of you posting the information in this thread, I asked for the locks to be reversed. The first floor person said there was no such thing. I didn't waver as I had a printout of your posts in hand. He brought them to the lock-department floor person who said the Kwikset entry knob cylinder reversal instructions were in the package. I gently said "I wish it were true". He analysed the instructions for about three or four minutes before conceding this was true.

Luckily I flagged down the key cutter who knew how to remove the Kwikset Tylo entry knob lock cylinder. She too never knew about the cylinder reversal needs but, after reading my printout of these posts, she at least popped the lock cylinder out in seconds for me. In addition, she handed me a spare Kwikset cylinder removal tool and said "keep it" as she had plenty in her key drawer.

I thank all of you for the expert advice. Without you, I would have gotten the wrong answer at Home Depot.

Even the, shall we say, less than expert advice was helpful in that it helped me gain the confidence that I wasn't the only one clueless about how to properly buy the right lock for my RHR entry doorway!

Thanks to you all this record will help everyone who comes after us with the same lock questions!

Reply to
MsMonarchdancer

It's becomign clear. You are a cheapskate and buying locks at Home Cheepo (And you bought the junky Tylos instead of the medium grade ones or the Titans.) Since it wasn't costing you anything but your time, you post a series of questions to Usenet. Asking for us, for free, to teach you something that locksmiths all across US do as part of their trade.

Then, back to Home Cheepo, and engage three of their people for a period of time. To get them to do what any good locksmith would have done simply, nearly effortlessly, and as part of his (her) job.

I'm starting to understand why some of the tradesmen on other lists say "call a locksmith (or tradesman as the case needs)" instead of doing internet teaching for free.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I guess you havn't used the new ones. The new ones with the one piece external handle are just total undiluted garbage.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Is he the guy who says to just remove the screws, and turn the knob right side up?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Why so cruel? What's wrong with learning? What's wrong with Home Depot? What's wrong with helping others on the usenet?

I saw scores of other people in Home Depot and here that knew as little as I about locks. Are we all "cheapskates" just for shopping at Home Depot and asking questions on the usenet?

I don't even KNOW where a good place to buy home hardware is other than Home Depot or OSH or Sears. A door lock seems like a common enough household item that Home Depot or OSH should stock the ones that you suggest. Plus, based on this discussion, I was under the impression that I could leave the door KNOB as a weak lock as long as the deadbolt was a stronger lock.

Are the Tylo deadbolts also succeptible to the cylinder removal puller?

As per your suggestion, I'll go back to Home Depot and ask for the "Titans" but I don't remember seeing the name of the lock anywhere on the Kwikset package. I think I'm stuck with Kwikset for now because of all my five inch latches.

Does anyone know if Home Depot sells the Kwikset Titans? Especially the grade 2 or grade 1 deadbolts which I am banking my security on?

If so, we ALL can go back to Home Depot to switch out our deadbolts (although with a glass door, even with a deadbolt, I wonder how much it really matters to have grade 1 locks).

Sandra

Reply to
MsMonarchdancer

There's not enough time to explain. Think about it, why has there stock tanked over recent years while the housing market was booming?

Service, Service, Service - plus paying their corporate heads millions for being incompetent.

Both Sears and Lowes are far superior.

Reply to
gamer

Cause he is SO pissed off about a prolific, disposable nine dollar lock that he can't help it.He sees the conglomerate of Home Depot as a looming fire-breathing dragon that will fry him like an egg.He worships the Tylo like a holy grail-LOL-He probably has a 2x4 poster of a Kwikset over his bed. Oh yes he has Kwikset on his front door-Whoopee Shit-If he had a Yale

5400, then he could rub shoulders with the elite class, but he can't...so he takes it out on you, an innocent consumer who knows how to ask questions in order to get things done,and that shows intelligence-And He can't handle it!!!! He carries a pickle fork!!! And he knows how to use it!!! (as an ass-scratcher) Just ignore him!!!

Nothing-we are all learning.Once we quit learning or refuse to learn-we are done.

They just suck-they stock way too much garbage and they don't pay their workers shit!!! A competent locksmith beats them all to hell when it comes to service. Home Depot's delivery time to recieve something that is not in the store-2 weeks or never. My time-three to 5 days.

Nothing-Any time you have a question-post it here. Did you try the spindle move? It does work-had to do that last night-LOL Did'nt mean to confuse you by "shooting from the hip" but that's the way I do it.

goma.

Reply to
goma865