ATFE to produce anti-rocketry video

Jerry are you related to my brother's wife in some way? ; ) We could be in laws.
Randy

I never said I was popular or liked. Merely right (and rude).
And willing to admit when I am wrong (which is not all bad).

: ) Randy

Dishonest???? Is there any doubt that they are dishonest??? I read that letter to the DOJ. If they really believe what they wrote, they're so out of touch as to be ridiculous. If they don't really believe it, then they are... dishonest.
-- David

N O N E
IF THIS WERE A HTML FORUM I WOULD HAVE USE LARGE BOLD FLASHING RED FONT.

A baseline in this case would be mostly useless anyway. There's *way* too much variation in hobby motors and unguided hobby rockets. If they could get performance +/- 10% it'd be a miracle, and they're not going to hit much with that kind of performance.

The baseline would be a timing issue.......of course a gust of wind, changes in temps etc will change it from a perfect weather baseline......just another variable those wild and wacky atf guys have to deal with. Unless they have military help they will not want the video published. :-)
--

Chuck Rudy

VooDoo Digital Productions

My experience with commercial hobby motors and igniters is that the rocket usually launches in about 5 seconds +10/-3. What kind of a baseline can you get with that?
snipped-for-privacy@walc.com.pluto says...

You need some better ignitors.
--
Kurt Kesler

I didn't say that the motors and igniters were mine :-) And anyway, what do terrorists know about igniters?

Use copperheads! AeroTech says how great they are in the marketing literature.
snipped-for-privacy@walc.com.pluto says...

Heh heh. Considering that even many of us still insist on using crapperheads, I would think "not much".
;-)
--
Kurt Kesler

Ignition delays???
<< It probably is possible to hit something with a rocket, given enough tries. But would it be the way the terrorists actually WOULD do it? Would they go try to buy commercial motors, thus needing goverment permits and hobby certification? Of course not. They could mix their own motors, or much more likely yet they could just buy missiles on the black market. >>
Heck, why even bother with missiles at all, when they could simply use a hunting rifle? It would certainly be far cheaper, easier, more accurate and more effective than using hobby rockets. And if for some reason they were too dumb to use a gun, there are plenty of other creative ways to bring down a plane -- air cannon (pumpkin-sized), release a few hundred mylar balloons (or doves) from a truck under the takeoff path, etc.

Point!
Based on previous DOD tests, I'm not sure AT could produce enough J350s to get a single hit before the end of the new century. It would take an SRB worth of J350s to have a chance at one hit!

Sorry. The JBGTs and their masters are too clueless to ever understand this.
snipped-for-privacy@acceptable-gains.net (Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed) wrote in

What exactly are they trying to prove here? That a model rocket motor can disable an aircraft at takeoff or landing. In all likelihood their tests will prove that it is possible for someone to pull off a stunt like this, but what exactly does this prove? Even flying animals are likely to damage, disable, and even crash a plane on takeoff and landing and are a greater daily threat to planes than any rocket ever will be.
If someone was intelligent enough to rig rocket motors up to damage an aircraft during takeoff and landing, they would also be intelligent enough to come to the conclusion that there would be far easier ways to do the same thing without a rocket motor. A shotgun/cannon like they used to use to hunt ducks is the first thing that comes to my mind.
All this proves is that our hobby is succumbing to terrorism indirectly by the US government's acts of enforcement over a hobby that they obviously know little about
--
To contact me, replace NOSPAM with hotmail.

http://www.againsttcpa.com

It is VERY simple.
The government is trying to reduce the (its) effort of enforcement (in this case against PERCEIVED NOT REAL terrorism) to ZERO.
NOT to reasonable.
To ZERO.
THAT is precisely and exactly what this is all about.
RIGHTS be damned.
I am right. The sooner you get on the bandwagon the better.
This started 20 years ago. It accelerated 9-11-01 alot.
Jerry

I'd go for a spray can of insect repellent in the cargo bay, stuffed in a strategic position...

That they're doing something to "prevent terrorism". Whether or not it is effective is irrelevant. Whether or not it's a realistic threat is irrelevant. They can show their videos of a scary rocket "getting dangerously close" to a target drone, and shut down the hobby, so as not to "make things easier" for "terrorists".
len.

It is a form of compulsion with a total disconnect from results.