ATFE to produce anti-rocketry video

Alan Jones wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Actually, it would be a relatively simple (albeit tedious) simulation exercise to calculate the expected dispersion of an unguided "ground to ground" H to J impulse powered "weapon", given expected variations in total impulse, thrust time profile, and surface winds. My expectation is that the magnitude of this dispersion would be so large as make such a "weapon" useless against all but the largest immobile targets, which would be much less susceptible to the size warheads such a vehicle could carry.

The utter stupidity of this "threat" raises the question of why the BATFE is pursuing this vendetta; the only reason, as I've offered before, is that it's easier than anything more realistic and is believed to have great public relations value.

len.

Reply to
Leonard Fehskens

"tater schuld" wrote in news:vqjlcbmq5kn419 @corp.supernews.com:

That's what we call "irony".

len.

Reply to
Leonard Fehskens

Is the head of the BATF a women? The mental midget who gave terrorists easy access to airline cockpits is a women and is still in charge, as is the genius administrator whose incompetence was borne by the Discovery shuttle astronauts.

If the BATF had mucked up as badly, I would know because there would be something in the news about the head of the BATF resigning which would mean the person in charge is a man since nobody fires incompetent women government administrators.

Reply to
Arnold Roquerre

A suicide bomber kills and wounds a few dozen people once, then no more. A trained recruit, especially a fighter pilot or a bomber crew, can be a killing machine, killing massive numbers of people over and over and over again. Both kill innocents. Which one is worse?

Pushing a button to launch a missile to destroy a military target, and all the innocents near the target, seems to me to be a particularly evil thing to do, requiring no "balls" whatsoever, but requiring extensive training.

Maybe it's the extensive training that defines whether a destroyer is a bad, evil terrorist or a holy freedom fighter. Maybe it's just the nationality? Maybe it's just who's being killed, them or us. Maybe it's whether the propaganda machine behind the killer is promoting the killer or the killed.

Apparently, innocence of the victims doesn't factor in, except as fuel for propaganda machines (Who gets ignored? Who gets press?)

The killers are evil, whether ragtag or spit and polish. So are their backers. So are their supporting infrastructures. There are better ways to solve problems than the building of evil deeds upon evil deeds. They don't make good press, than they take far more thought and effort (and they tend not to empty the treasury as well).

Alex Mericas wrote:

Reply to
Dwayne Surdu-Miller

Snip.

I showed this to my wife to get her comment.

Her response was that she couldn't be bothered wasting the typing time on you.

Zooty

"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." -- author unknown, quote suggested by Mrs. Zooty

Reply to
zoot

Reply to
Alex Mericas

History has also shown that armed conflict can be avoided. Of course, this doesn't make good press, and doesn't usually make it into western-style history texts that tend to mark history with wars and particular battles. If you have a particular philosophy, you can write a text to embrace it. Then you can have people learn from it and believe that your philosophy is true. History texts are quite common examples of this.

And no, the vast majority of crim> History has shown again and again that armed conflict if inevitable.

Reply to
Dwayne Surdu-Miller

As in "armed conflict will happen sometime"

Switzerland has an army... and several more she can borrow at short notice :)

And if you are wrong about them being criminal? Crime is preveented by making it too risky to commit the crime. You don't get absolutes... you get percentges.

Reply to
Chuck Stewart

As long as the solution of last resort between any two humans is physical violence, armed conflict involving the masses will never end.

Reply to
Kurt Kesler

One big difference is intent. With terrorists, the intended victim IS the innocent. Collateral damage resulting in the deaths of innocents is unintended. Similar to accidentally running over someone with your car versus intentionally running someone down.

If we were "evil" then pretty much the entire middle east would be a wasteland. But we haven't bulldozed everyone into the ocean, planted a flag and paved the desert into a parking lot for the world's largest super Walmart, now have we?

How naiive. If only the world were so black and white...

So what is the magic solution? Seriously, if you know the answer, share.

Reply to
Kurt Kesler

Kurt Kesler wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news-east.giganews.com:

No. By their standards what we (as "infidels") are doing is far worse. You make the same mistake most people do -- you assume their cultural values are the same as yours.

len.

Reply to
Leonard Fehskens

Tell me, how could WWII have been avoided? Without the U.S., Canada, and England becoming a colony of the Axis powers. If your answer is a better end to WWI, how could that armed conflict have been avoided?

Tell me, how could the Barbary pirates have been dealt with short of armed c> History has also shown that armed conflict can be avoided. Of course,

Reply to
Alex Mericas

We form a focus group to discuss our issues and try to understand the other side's point of view and point of reference. We work toward mutual respect and compassion. Unfortunately, on the way to the meeting our bus is blown up by a 13yr old girl who has no desire for focus, respect, or compassion.

Reply to
Alex Mericas

Sounds like the perfect test case to take to prosecution. Either way, we win!

Bob Kaplow

You seem to have left the proven single most dangerous and effective weapon terrorists can use off your list. One that I've not seen any attempt to ban or regulate. Commercial airliners.

Bob Kaplow

The engines in question. Check.

Assumimg Cirrus Darts for launch vehicle.

Altitude. Check.

Relative velocity. Check

Medium-to-long range for a J350?

er... You forgot target apparent area...

We'll use a 747 as "standard commercial airliner Mk. I"... before the anti-terrorist-anti-aircraft retrofits :)

What type of drone were they subbing? (goes to top of thread...) Hmmm... not in original post. Any data?

I'd call that medium range...

Let's stick in values for 1000 feet too... that'll give us three points to illustrate the drop-off.

Cranking numbers.

"Ah'll be bach!"

(Drone type or at least size estimates would help prevent BATF handwaving "commercial airliner would be much easier to hit" crap.)

Reply to
Chuck Stewart

Wait till they're equipped with "anti-terrorist" weapons...

Reply to
Chuck Stewart

Except that anything the army or the government does, or hires you to do, is pretty much exempt. You don't need to ask the army for their LEUP before you can legally sell them all the bombs they wanna buy.

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

There's CAPPS II - you're gonna need the right color Large Airplane User Permit or you won't get on board...

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

This simulation was also part of Trip Barber's study more than a decade ago...

Reply to
Bob Kaplow