ATFE to produce anti-rocketry video

There it is again... that disturbing lack of numbers.

What are "low speeds and altitudes"?

Given that knowledge will the terrorists have real-time updates on a targets position,,, or will they aim manually?

The more real numbers you have the stupider this idea looks.

Reply to
Chuck Stewart

My, but you are a naive and ignorant person. Rocket Flyer Southeast Georgia

Reply to
Rocket Flyer

kaplow snipped-for-privacy@encompasserve.org.TRABoD (Bob Kaplow) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@eisner.encompasserve.org:

No,because trying to invade a mountainous country that has virtually everyone armed would not be practical.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Chuck Stewart wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@anapuma.nekolabs.edu:

Take-off speeds for commercial aircraft are less then 200 MPH. Say 150MPH.

Landing speeds would be similar. Landing would be the best time for an attack.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

If that ever happened, the ATF official could just have the hobbyist arrested for rustling. ;)

Reply to
RayDunakin

Landing speed is slightly over 200 mph........over 300 feet per second. I don't know V1 or V2 for a 747 takeoff but they should easy enough to find, probably slightly lower but accelerating.

Landing would be best for an attack? Why? Because of speed? No. Because you can at least see the thing in the air but you have no reference point. Takeoff you have difficulty picking up the target but you have reference points.

So trying to hit a target moving at a football field per second from

1,000-2,000-3,000 feet below means the plane moves 1' for every 3' or 6' or 9' you must adjust for in vertical providing your timing is correct and no wind shear, wind gusts, windcocking is involved. I believe the smarter option would be for bulletproof glass in front of the pilot since it will reduce any threat of a shoot down from a sniper rifle. Rifled slugs are more accurate and have a longer range with more precision........then there's the night scenario for a rifle. Night vision is sold to consumers, correct? ;-)

These silly scenarios of a cardboard rocket killing a jet are starting to get boring and 'chicken little-like'....... I see a BS agency running scared, knowing they look like idiots and moving toward paranoia and desperation. But of course they have taxpayer dollars to spend. Maybe it's time to write to ABC news and the segment "it's your money" which makes buffoons of government tax dollar fraud.

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

sure you do. you have to make sure the logistics agent is acting under the authority of the government and a directive and not himself or his local department. plenty and lots of red tape, put in place to keep logistics officers from getting all the t-bone steaks under guise "its for the genreral".

art

Reply to
Art Upton

Yes, imbedded in hyperbol. It is not all GWB's fault. You can't ignor or cover up an attack like 9/11 that is showm on live TV. I'm ot so sure a cover up was intelligent during WWII. While GWB, may be a tad short on intelligence, as US presidents go, other factors like his leadership skills and agendas may be more significant. But I do maintain that he helped increase the terror and its ill effects. A different president could have done better or worse. Nevertheless, I'm expecting a regime change, as soon as we decide who's regime to change to.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

Leonard Fehskens wrote in news:Xns942B6DBAE4545lenfehskenshpcom@16.105.248.153:

Yeah, except if you look through the cracks in the door, you discover that they're actually building fake inflatable windmills!

Reply to
David W.

Alan Jones wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I can see only two possibilities for a successful attack with model rockets:

1) the manage to get a rocket in enough engines to cause the plane to crash 2) they manage to scare the *crap* out of the pilot enough that he looses control of the aircraft.
Reply to
David W.

Yes, and I saw your post before posting this. It doesn't much weather the point though, does it?

A starter pistol is not a fatal and dangerous weapon until you put a warhead... er... bullet in it, and uncap the end. Ergo a starter pistol is a tool and not a weapon. Same analogy applies to the hobby rocketry goods. They are modifying the intended legal purpose, to something illegal, despite the fact that it is not even practical.

This tactic is called distraction/redirection... the real topic is that hobby rocketry APCP is not explosive. They look un-schooled and and non-smart in this issue, so distract to something that appears publicly smarter...

But then, Jerry, you *are* the whole choir... or at least the lead vocalist.

~Duane Phillips.

Reply to
Duane Phillips

Is Sen Proxmire still doing those "Golden Fleece Awards"?

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

Obviously you have no familial ties.

Siblings often fight like cats and dogs, but if an outsider attacks, all of the sudden the sibling rivalry pauses, and real fights begin.

This is the pattern of the American Family. No one messes with my family except those who are in the family.

And occasionally, if someone needs to "go down" in my family, then I don't want a stranger takin' care of it, just like in "Of Mice and Men" by John Steinbeck.

So yes, outsider attack gets more rebuttal/reprisal, regardless of what level of "family" you look at.

I wouldn't call that twisted priorities.

Despite all this your attempt at the social point here does nothing except try to hyjack the the general thread into some anti-war related spin. Try instead a new thread "[OT] Anti-War".

~Duane Phillips.

Reply to
Duane Phillips

Chuck Rudy wrote in news:3FAB05FA.9090809 @tradenet.nospam.net:

The rocket doesn't have to be made out of cardboard, it could be made out of metal. But of course that (and the warhead) would further degrade the performance. The fact is that the propellant fractional mass for the entire system that you get from using a sport rocketry motor is so lousy that the approach is inherently ineffective. Anything you do to make the "weapon" more effective/sophisticated just works against you.

Again, this is not about any real threat. It's easier to go after sport rocketry than it is to go after arms smugglers. And since no intelligence sources are required, it can all be done very publically.

It's all about public relations, it has nothing to do with effective threats.

len.

Reply to
Leonard Fehskens

Roger that. Manditory military service for all able bodied citizens (used to be male only, but that was dropped sometime in the 70's). Weapons, and ammunition are stored at home. It's been stated that the Swiss can mobilize, and deploy something like 190K troops in 90 minutes.[1] Also, neat defensive things like C4 charges in the bridge piers for the bridge that crosses the Simplon pass. Drop it on command. Napoleon gave up at the Simplon, simply for geographic reasons. Artillery, and aircraft stashed away inside various Alps (yes, I saw that with my own eyes when we were there) whose bunkers are able to withstand a fairly substantial nuclear blast (even though the population might not).

Switzerland military has always been geared strictly toward the defensive, and the Swiss historically have been extremely fierce fighters. That's one of the reasons the papacy chose Swiss mercenaries for protection of the Pope, hence the "Swiss Guards" (and even to this day, they're *still* Swiss Military!).

Granted, many tactics employed by the Swiss are kinda "null and void" in the age of the ICBM, but they still can whip up a pretty substantial army extremely quickly. A nice deterrent.

FWIW...

tah

[1] "La Concordia Platz de La Suisse"
Reply to
hiltyt

Yeah, and don't forget those fiendishly cunning army knives...

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn

LOL! Hey now, Victorinox rules! I picked mine up in Lausaunne for $10 American back in '87.

Still have the tweezers, and the toothpick too!

Darren, you just never know when you'll have to "take someone out" with that corkscrew, or fish scaler, or nail file, or scissors, or whatever ...

tah

Reply to
hiltyt

I went to Lausaunne myself a few years ago. Didn't think much of the Cheval, as I recall.

I once read that the _real_ reason the Swiss stay neutral is that they know those army knives are no match for heavy artillery ;-)

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn

Reply to
Dwayne Surdu-Miller

BINGO! its #2..... I believe this is all the ATF really wants to show......can you say terrorism? This consistent with Launtenberg's view.....

can you imagine coming in or taking off for a landing at say 250 mph and about that time you see 20 contrails coming up at ya? yikes! I'd try to take some form of evasive action and end up crashin and burning......can you say terrorism?

terrorism......a psychological state of mind.......

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz