DD 445 - 680

Got my Linberg destroyer Melvin model out of my stash. Thought I would do a little boating as a break from armor modeling. I had read that it wasn't all that accurate so I compared it to my Tamiya 1/350 Fletcher. BIG differance there. I wont go into all of the differances as there isn't room here to do that. Question. How accurate is the tamyia model and is it appropriate to compare DD 445 to DD 680 to start with? Were there significate changes between the two to account for the discrepences? Anyone know of a sight to build the Melvin?

Reply to
ARMDCAV

There were significant differences to DD-445 from 1942 to 1945 let alone other ships of the class. Your best bet is to get a set of drawings from Floating Drydock for the ship you want and the WR Press book "Fletcher, Sumner and Gearing Class Destroyers" by Jeff Herne. The Tamiya kit has some accuracy problems, most notably the turrets are under scale by a noticeable amount. Turrets 1 and 5 also have the wrong profile.

Reply to
Ron

The Fletcher Class was rather numerous, so there's a lot of versions. One major is square or round brige, and another is secondary armament.

Reply to
Claus Gustafsen