USAF Bombs Yorkshire!!!!

I have a friend who killed a raven out on the China Lake range but I can't remember if he used Blue Death From Above or a real bomb.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Shafer

Yes, every Sunday for the last 35+ years. Yummy!! :-)

Jimi

Reply to
Jimi

they made me pay for bad food in a resturant! nuke 'em.

My friend killed a raven airborne over Baker after all the blue meanies were expended - he hit it with one of the pylons on an F/A-18. The bird hit the pylon square, rode up the slanted portion of the pylon and right through the structure between the leading edge flap and the forward spar of the wing box. He felt it, but as there were no inications of any trouble in the cockpit, he made a "routine" approach and landing. Discovered the damage on the postflight walkaround. Those telltale black feathers...and that hole in the leading edge flap.

Then there was the guy that hit the flock of pelicans on takeoff - five of them. He got the jet back around and on deck, but not quite as "routinely"...

Reply to
Rufus

Youhave it bassackwards.....the only way to eat that stuff is after

*YOU'VE* been bombed.....a fair number of p>
Reply to
Ron

One of my friends hit a turkey with a P-3. Or maybe the bird was hotdogging and made one pass a bit too close. I guess it isn't any easier to miss a buzzard than a J-8 :)

The aftermath pictures were interesting. The bird hit the leading edge of one of the wings, clear of the engines, made a big dent. One end of the neck was hanging from the dent. The other end was still attached to the lifeless head. That and a few feathers was about it.

Reply to
Jim Carriere

i actually hit a raven riding the beast at steamboat springs. i was coming up the hill to the gas station and he had just flapped off and banked to grab a thermal. broke the headlight and dented the ear. poor guy was messed up but the rangers took him off to a shelter.

I've hit a few pidgeons with my truck down in south Texas...and narrowly avoided a flock of turkeys as well. I didn't even think turkeys could fly...unlike Herb Tarlic...

Reply to
Rufus

The guy I mentioned that hit the pelicans tore the jet up pretty good - F/A-18 vs five pelicans. Took off a good chunk of the canopy, flamed out one engine, and tore through one of the LEX's. I think they pulled one (mostly) whole bird off the jet when it landed...and I think the pilot may have suffered some facial injuries though I recall that the windscreen wasn't severely damamged.

I had some pictures of the damage around someplace once, but I seem to have lost them.

Reply to
Rufus

Actually it was Mr. Carlson, not Herb. Herb did some other strange stuff to animals, though. We never saw it but there were reports he got ducklings to dance by putting them on a hot plate.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

Most of us use the whole airplane for birds... Got 2 ducks at once with an A-6 once! :-)

Reply to
John R Weiss

The turkey episode was my all time favorite WKRP show. That has to be the funniest damn thing that was never actually seen by an audience. I can still recall rolling in the floor with tears coming out of my eyes.

"Oh my God, they're hitting the ground like bags of wet cement" -- Les Nessman

I must have had a life-altering experience around this time. Like dating. Because I can't remember the show ever getting unfunny. I just tuned in one night and it was gone.

WmB

WmB

or kelly bundy. i hate those freakin bambis running loose. hit one of those antlered rats and get killed.

sounds like the civil war lice races.

ronny reagean killed it and lou grant, i heard.

coolest thing i ever saw was a pidgeon land on the third rail at charles street during a torrential downpour. big flash, greasy cloud of smoke, a few feathers drifting down and the pidgeon was gone.

Is there any other way?

Reply to
Les Pickstock

In message , e writes

It must have had very long legs...

Mike

Reply to
M. J. Powell

Reporter on the radio is saying their falling out of the sky smashing into windshields, knocking women and children down. Oh the humanity. I can't take this anymore. Said in the same hysterical voice as the reporter of the Hindenburg disaster.

Later on back at the station, Les with cloth all torn up, glasses askew says "As God is my witness I thought turkeys could fly." There were many episodes of WKRP that were done in the old radio style. They were all classics.

Reply to
ARMDCAV