George Sellios' layout

Doesn't the fact that the rest of the world also thinks that tell you something? Yeah, yeah, I know, the rest of the world is wrong. I've said so myself many times too.

....................F>

Reply to
Froggy

So then the Yukon is not in Canada. The Yukon is in NORTH Canada? Canada just happens to be the northernmost country on the American plates. I think. Could be Greenland, but I can't check on it right this moment. Anyway, it doesn't matter that much NORTH America is still America right on. All the way to, what, about 83º north?

....................F>

America ( Have you ever been to Banf? ) the Beautiful.

Reply to
Froggy

I dunno...I once had a neighbor who had a Warbonnet Chihuahua...

Reply to
crosstie

My friends in Canad a got tired of me referring o my cohort as Americans, and eexcluding them...I finally had to refer to myself as United Statesican. That seemed to work...

Of course, that was in Ottawa. Things may be different elsewhere...

Jeff Sc. Georgican, Ga.

Reply to
crosstie

I later gave some thought to when a plywood pacific might become a model railroad. Some never get to the scenic and structure stage at all, but do have a model railroad.

I think the turning point is when turnouts, passing tracks and sidings are added to begin operation beyond the "train on a track circle" stage.

Identifying industries with boxes or even a names on pieces of paper, and then spotting appropriate cars would, I think, be part of the transition to "model railroad" status.

Likewise nam>A non-sceniced (i.e. non-diorama) layout can be fully developed as far

I am inclined to agree with this. It considers the range of interests that we all bring to the hobby and includes those who are not into diorama building.

Bruce

Reply to
MainStHtge

If someone were to say to me "I am an American", then depending upon a number of factors, (appearance, threats involved, amount of beer still in glass etc) my next logical question would be "What country are you from?"

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Have they been extending the Eire canal????

What are we supposed to call you all? I use "yanks" which seems to be understood world-wide. (small "y" rather than "Y" which makes the word a proper noun and specific to some US group) We could call you "USaians" but most people find that clumsy.

You yanks need to find yourselves a viable collective name - then perhaps you could gain some lasting pride in yourselves not based on invading or debasing other nations.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

North America is in America.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

I forgive someone from outside the United States calling me a Yank. I don't like it as that term, to me, refers to people of New England (areas of the US north of Pennsylvania. NYC and points north). If I were a southerner I suppose I'd have to correct the person (gently; he may be ignorant of terminology inside the USA)

Nope. Canadians don't piss off anyone.

Jay CNS&M Wireheads of the world, unite!

Reply to
JCunington

Aren't these the same people who try to convince us that snails, cold mushroom soup, and fish eggs are haute cuisine and that "head cheese" is a lunch meat? I rest my case to the USAmericans. The rest of y'all can go argue that one out.

Jay CNS&M Wireheads of the world, unite!

Reply to
JCunington

Three cheers for Roger!

Our northern neighbors are not us, nor are our southern neighbors (although that may change in 30 years or so, given birth rates...)

Jay CNS&M Wireheads of the world, unite!

Reply to
JCunington

How about Americans, as opposed to Canadians, Mexicans, Guatemalans, El Salvadorans. Panamanians, Hondurans, Belizians (?), and Costa Ricans. Aside from the Carribean, did I miss anyone? If you want to get us all in the shotgun blast, please say "North Americans". We western hemisphere types are sensitive about that sort of thing.

Referring to the people of the North American continent as "Americans" is like calling all germs bacteria. It may be convenient shorthand, but it's inaccurate, and Norteamericanos outside the USofA may take offense, just as "Brits" may offend Irish, Scots, and Welsh, when we really mean "English".

Jay CNS&M Wireheads of the world, unite!

Reply to
JCunington

The official name for the Republique De Medico is Estados Unidos De Mexico. (The United States of Mexico).

Jim Stewart

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Because we don't call Europeans "French"?

Jay CNS&M Wireheads of the world, unite!

Reply to
JCunington

Everybody knows the Mexicans are from Elgin Illinois, San Angelo Texas, and Los Angeles California.

Jim Stewart

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Greg,

There is no place within the USA that is called "North America", at least, not within the borders of the USA, AFAIK.

There is "Upper New England", the "Upper Midwest", the "Northern Great Plains", and the "Pacific Northwest". Then there's Alaska, which is simply Alaska.

Gang, I think Greg's having us on and seeing how far we'll string this thing out.

Jay CNS&M Wireheads of the world, unite!

Reply to
JCunington

Actually Banff National Park and townsite are in Alberta, Canada, NORTH America.

Keith Laing

Reply to
Keith Laing

Of course you term all French people in Europe "French".

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Blush.

How could I screw that up?

Of course Banff is in Alberta, don't know what I was thinking. :-(

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

Nahh, that's just the term Australians use when they want to claim New Zealand's successes.

Reply to
Gregory Procter