George Sellios' layout

As Lou Costello would say: "Third base!"

Jay CNS&M Wireheads of the world, unite!

Reply to
JCunington

I really dont care, either. I was just trying to twist a few brains who found to little to do in the summer heat up here...

Jim

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Gotchya!

Again!

Every time I say "Jump" you ask "How high?".

Fool!

-- Jim McLaughlin

**************************************************************************** **************************************************************************** I am getting really tired of spam, so the reply address is munged. Please don't just hit the reply key. Remove the obvious from the address to reply. **************************************************************************** **************************************************************************** Special treat for spambots: snipped-for-privacy@ftc.gov, snipped-for-privacy@ftc.gov, snipped-for-privacy@ftc.gov

Reply to
Jim McLaughlin

Umm, which sort of tart are _you_ discussing????

Reply to
Gregory Procter

"... too ..."? It's the middle of winter here!

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Which were YOU discussing....

I like to stay on the Novotil at the beach. One type of tart is just past the amusement park and the uther around the coner in the outdoor cafes...;-)

Jim

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Jim,

It's St. Kilda. Melbourne is in Australia. Oz is where Dorothy went to. That hotel is a Novotel. (A French chain, incidentally.) It's Luna Park. You should stick with the tarts in Acland Street...

And in a last ditch attempt to bring this back on topic, the roller coaster at Luna Park is the only example I've ever ridden on with a brakeman that rides on the cars...

Mark.

Reply to
Mark Newton

Knee socks and plaid skirts?

Reply to
E Litella

I had a look at a copy of Church's book "Cab Forward" - as you say, Ernie, the areas of mineral staining are very obvious on a "clean" loco.

What I

Reply to
Mark Newton

Quite so.

Of course one does not need to know the names of these 'mechanisms' in order to use them. Indeed, they are not recipes to be followed, but rather just names attached to observed human behavior. The behavior came first, the names and descriptions were applied later. Such behavior is a basic human trait, and affects all groups, not just (but certainly including) our hobby.

Supposedly we're all here to enjoy the hobby ... to have FUN, in what amounts to kind of creative insanity, usually (but not always) shared with other 'loonies' of like mind. Sure, there CAN be a serious side, but to most it's just FUN! Like it or not, we're all just "playing with toy trains"! So what? Who cares? What's supposed to be WRONG with that? Many find the hobby rather a therapy to neutralize OTHER insanities or dissatisfactions in their life. A hobby is usually an 'escape' of some kind, and one does not need grief there as well.

Of course, to some, argument is a hobby too.

Somebody said: "The only thing I can't tolerate is intolerance!" ... I think that applies ESPECIALLY in a HOBBY! This, and many other, squabbles are unfortunate, but they won't go away. We all just have to learn to live with it. Not LIKE it, just live with it.

Dan Mitchell ==========

Andy Harman wrote:

Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell

Froggy:

I have NO problem with your position. And, just to make it perfectly clear, the "YOU" in my comments was NOT directed personally at you. You've been fairly careful to state the purpose of your discussion, and to state things as YOUR opinions. The thread, however, has wandered, as most do. This is a long thread, and I can't recall who (more than one) made the statements I objected to. I don't even object to the statements themselves, taken in a proper context. Dictionaries aside, we ALL have out OWN definitions of ALL words and terms. There's no harm in stating YOUR meanings, just don't expect everyone else to agree.

I find the discussions of various opinions on the hobby interesting, and occasionally enlightening.

But I'll object to using such opinions, 'handles', and 'mechanisms' to exclude people from the hobby ... even the guy pulling Brio trains around with a string. He too has his place in the hobby (but, hopefully, he won't STAY there).

Dan Mitchell ==========

snipped-for-privacy@thep>

Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell

Whee! Another can of worms to open!

Much modeling as described IS a parody (or charicature) of sorts. This certainly applies to Malcom Furlow (and John Allen, and many others).

But, I've seen, and seen photos of many other, locos covered in 'junk'. Hoses, pumps, shovels, axes, tools of ANY sort, boxes, crates, ladders, and lots of cans of grease, oil, etc.. Especially logging and industrial locos. But to be sure, at least the junk was fastened down in some way (tied, bracketed, bolted, whatever). The way a steam loco jerks and rolls, it wouldn't stay on long if it wasn't fastened.

And, as for "Streaks of rust from washout plugs , as well as huge, ghostly white areas of "mineral deposits" ... I've seen BOTH. NOT on well maintained steam locos, certainly, but there were MANY that were NOT 'well maintained', especially towards the end of steam in the late

1940's and 1950's. Wash out plugs often tend to leak a little, as do cracked stay bolts and various steam fittings. Within limits, such are not a serious hazard, and are often ignored.

Water quality also plays a part. Some water is rich in minerals. Such water requires treatment with MORE minerals to prevent serious corrosion, foaming, and other problems. If a steam or water leak then occurs (likely, somewhere), mineral deposits will then form, and be quite visible. I would say that MOST of the steam locos I've ever seen, or seen photos of, show at least SOME of this effect. Not to say it isn't often overdone on models.

Dan Mitchell ==========

Mark Newt>

Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell

Searching in MSN Encarta using searchword 'America'

  1. United States of America Article-Encarta Encyclopedia United States (Overview), United States of America, popularly referred to as the United States or as America, a federal republic on the continent of...
  2. America* Article-Encarta Encyclopedia America, second largest isolated landmass of the earth, comprising the two continents of the western hemisphere. America is a common designation for...
  3. North America Article-Encarta Encyclopedia North America, third largest of the seven continents, including Canada (the
2nd largest country in area in the world), the United States (3rd...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - As per 1 & 2, America is the U.S. in common and popular usage. Calling anybody else from the Americas an American would confuse some people and in some other parts of the world possibly get him or her killed by mistake.

Regards,

Keith Laing

Reply to
Keith Laing

Encarta Search results for "america"

  1. Usa (city)* Article-Encarta Encyclopedia Usa (city), town in Oita Prefecture, northeast Kyushu Island, Japan. Situated near the coast of the Inland Sea, Usa lies 86 km (54 mi) southeast of the...

FYI

Keith Laing

Reply to
Keith Laing

Well, during WW2 ( I believe it started then), eastern Australians started calling Americans " Seps" or "Seppos.

The derivation is based on Rhyming Slang example He went up the apples meaning up the stairs stairs = apples & pairs Sep or Seppo is a further abbreviation of the rhyme

Yank ie American = you guess Froggy knows.

Unfortunately a small minority of Americans are full of the contents and it sticks to the detriment of the vast majority who are good people and a pleasure to know, in fact, almost as good as the majority of us Aussies. VBG Alan in beautiful Golden Bay, Western Oz, South 32.25.42, East 115.45.44 GMT+8 VK6 YAB ICQ 6581610 to reply, change oz to au in address

Reply to
alan200

And, yes, the Japanese did manufacture products for export stamped "MADE IN USA".

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Sneaky, but honest. That'd be like someone here stamping something "Made in Paris" and not telling you the Paris where it was made happened to be in Kentucky.

Jay CNS&M Wireheads of the world, unite!

Reply to
JCunington

Why don't you guys save George the publicity and change the SUBJECT on this thread? Better yet move it to a pertenant board :-)

Larry at Papastrains.com

Reply to
LarEyman

Jeez, Dan, you make it sound like we're all married to each other!

Jay CNS&M Wireheads of the world, unite!

Reply to
JCunington

Thank you.. More trivia being ground into insignifica !!!!!!!!

Reply to
Aredeer