OT: Why reply to curt?

I've seen r.m.r. deterioratie rapidly since our buddy started posting here. No Mark (you pompous Aussie twit), I'm not trying to moderate anything here - just asking logical question. At least I think it is logical.

Majority of people here do ok ignoring curt. But there are several people who can't help themselves from pointing out how stupid he is. Curt happily latches onto those specific individuals and keeps the silly conversations going. Does curt have some sort of magical or hypnotic power over those individuals?

I recall that in the past if someone kept posting annoying stuff, they were quickly plonked. Why is curt just not plonked by all the regulars here?

He thrives on replies to his garbage posts (as any troll does). Is ignoring him really that hard? I thought the regulars who reply to his crap were smarted than getting sucked into this silliness.

Can't you all just say "no" to replying to this troll? I don't get it. It is beginning to look to me like curt is smarter than the people who reply to him as he knows what buttons to push to get those people wound up.

Reply to
Peter W.

Trolls are often a steam valve for the daily stresses of life.

Reply to
Spender

Pete:

I can readily agree that one should avoid corresponding with curt. IMHO writing ABOUT curt, however, is not equivalent to writing TO curt. It may be perverse, but, I would really like to learn what makes him tick. Your analysis of him is a perfectly valid example of what I hoped would be forthcoming when I started the other OT thread.

Now, to my disagreement with your position. I do not think he will "just go away" by simply plonking him. I believe we will be rid of him only when his identities (like Jepperson) or his activities (like Mason) are exposed. At one point I suggested as much and was told it was unethical to do so. If that is true, sobeit. Unfortunately, a flame war immediately then took place between those who felt it was relatively easy to "out" him and those who strongly disagreed. I lack the computer knowledge to have taken part in that discussion. However, throughout it, I could not help but think that curt must be laughing himself silly over a situation in which people, all of whom detested him, were now fighting among themselves.

Oh, for the record, let me voice one additional opinion. I consider curt to be disruptive and certainly mendacious, but, not stupid. I again agree with you. Buttons to push, chains to pull, egos to bruise, he knows them all. Thank you.

Jerry

Reply to
trainjer

Of course you're not. You just want everybody to do what you want them to do, or you'll wave your little hands and stamp your little feet, and hold your breath until they do.

Reply to
Mark Newton

To discriminate against a stroke victim who has limited mental facilities is not my style. I enjoy watching him try to respond to posts with something other than the standard prayer bullshit. Knocking him around is too much fun to stop doing it. It's rewarding to see his cryptic, poorly written posts, and his use of trainspeeddemon was priceless!

Reply to
brad

Why? Because, for the most part, the good posters, the ones that used to retro-mod this place, have all gone...gone to e-mail lists, web forums, or the big roundhouse in the sky (RIP Big John & Peter King). Heck, I'm sure some just lost interest altogether. What we have left are the dregs (myself included) of r.m.r. Sheriff Sheridan is building ships, TOM is MIA, Mike Tennent is on the MR Forum, Andy Harmon is on the Atlas Forum and, of course, his Diesel Modelers List along with Jim Six, the real Curt Mc is on Atlas, etc. You hardly see Stan Ames, Dave Hodgedon (sp?) or Jim Sacco posting these days... If you check the archives, even Andy Sperando used to post here. My point is that there used to be a large number of people here who would, by virtue of peer pressure, retro-mod r.m.r into a place where trolls were (mostly) ignored, and those that fed trolls were (mostly) shunned. Anyone who brought politics and religon into r.m.r were roundly criticized, and if you didn't post your name you could get ignored. But those days are long gone. Folks get tired of doing that, so they go to moderated areas where they can talk trains rather than try to keep a place clean and on topic.

Paul A. Cutler III

************* Weather Or No Go New Haven *************
Reply to
Pac Man

If I may add my 2 cents. We had a similar situation on an automotive group. One of the members suggested we make a news years resolution that all of us ignore the troll we had. Don't answer him, don't talk about him don't even respond to others talking about him. Well, as of January the first, it really worked. No one has even recognized his being there, and it's cleaned up the whole group. Try it, you'll like it.

Dave C

Reply to
Dave C

Reply to
curtmchere

Reply to
curtmchere

I agree we should ignore Steve Caple but he uses fake names to get around that so this board is polluted by his anti god posts.

Reply to
curtmchere

Does a god shit in the woods?

Whadda ya call a polack in a $500 hat? [da Pope]

Reply to
Steve Caple

"Whadda ya call a polack in a $500 hat? [da Pope]"

Steve, Steve, Steve. You're behind the times. The ounchline has beenchanged. Not that I'm invoking Godwin but...What do you call a Nazi in a $500 hat? [da Pope]"

Eric

Reply to
newyorkcentralfan

Yes, it is quite sad. Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

"Peter W." skriver:

If you don't feed the troll it will pass away - I agree....

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus D. Mikkelsen

Having just posted a response about Curt, I'll pledge that it will be my last one.

Reply to
Spender

On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 22:21:13 GMT, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Spender instead replied:

Oh, if I were a gambling man . . .

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

Reply to
curtmchere

Thanks for the insight Q Face. I pray to god you get cancer of your eyes.

Blessings, brad

Reply to
brad

Do you have cancer is that why you wish it on others? Take your lover's spat somewhere else and leave us to talk trains.

P.S. I see you are a right w>

Reply to
trainspeeddemon

I just wish cancer on you Curt. Since the stroke did not slow you down enough, I think a good case of cancer might be in order.

You are in my prayers.

Brad

Reply to
brad