Restarting an Unused HO Engine

On 8/14/2009 2:34 AM a_a_a spake thus:

Bingo.
In our last episode, Mr. Procter and Mr. Haddad had gotten a room together.

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 10:19:21 -0700, David Nebenzahl wrote:

Wow - a procterologist who makes house calls!
--
Steve

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 11:28:20 -0700, Steve Caple

The ignorant oafs gather. One can only wonder . . . -- Ray
Ray Haddad wrote:

Yep. Everyone is ignorant of how to deal with someone who is so utterly bizarre as to suggest machining the 'armature' as a solution for a virtually never-used loco not running after 20 years of non-use. We can all only wonder.

To my chagrin, I wondered 'out loud' ...

Then I see defeat in your life. You give up too easily if you would not consider machining a motor as a last resort. Remember, only you guys suggested that it was not a good option. I suggested a few others long before I got to that one. The rest of you oafs all pretended that wasn't the case. Why is only anyone's guess.
Typical behavior from guys with over inflated egos such as yourselves. Deal. -- Ray
Ray Haddad wrote:

More to the point, only one guy - you - suggested that it WAS a good option.

It is. Not the first option but a good one if necessary. Just because you can't do it don't complain to me. -- Ray
On 8/15/2009 10:56 AM Ray Haddad spake thus:

While you're at it, why not suggest rewinding the armature, re-gaussing the magnets and replacing the motor bearings? Fat lot of good any of these would do.

David Nebenzahl wrote:

People used to do that....
wolf k.
On 8/15/2009 12:08 PM Wolf K spake thus:

Well, of course they did. But look, Wolf, it's a matter of context. I think it's safe to say that the OP is not a scratchbuilder and is not the least bit interested in learning the nitty-gritty of a complete motor teardown and rebuild. (Maybe he is, but I doubt it.) So in the context of his question--how to get a little-run, long-stored loco running--suggesting he check these things is, well, silly.
Obviously, the first thing to do is to check and clean the wheels. And the track. You know, the easy, obvious stuff.

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 14:39:53 -0700, David Nebenzahl

Oh? And who began by telling him that? Well, that would be me, of course but you are more than happy to ignore that. Nice one, David. -- Ray
David Nebenzahl wrote:

I was just waxing nostalgic. ;-)
wolf k.

I'd sooner wax wroth.
Then we can have Roth wax Haddad and everyone will be happy.
~Pete
On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 19:44:46 -0700 (PDT), Twibil

Lizzie Borden took an axe, Gave her mother forty wax. When she sore what she had dun, Gave her farther forte won.

True fact:
When I was a kid, our local ice cream vending trucks all used to play the melody to the above kid's rhyme/jingle* to let the neighborhood children know they were coming. I have a feeling that the ice cream truck people probably didn't know where it had originated, though... (I always thought it would be cool to have a 1/87 scale ice cream truck parked somewhere on a '50s layout surrounded by children and with an endless recording of that tune playing almost subliminally in the background to see if anybody ever made the connection.)
*Children -bless their black little hearts- preserve and originate some wonderfully grim rhymes. For instance, the macabre "Little Willy" rhymes were still popular with kids when I was in grade school. Herewith a railroad-oriented example:
Willie on the railroad tracks Didn't hear the whistle squeal Now the engine's backing up Scraping Willie off the wheel.
And one that isn't:
Little Willie in a spell Pitched his sister down the well Now his parents have no daughter And they boil all the water.
Cheerily, ~Pete
On 8/16/2009 1:10 AM Twibil spake thus:

Of course you probably know that "Ring Around the Rosy" is a reference to the Black Plague.
And it's not children who "preserve and originate" that grimness, but those who write and tell them stories and songs. Most children are completely oblivious to the grim references; I know I was.

On 8/16/2009 1:07 PM David Nebenzahl spake thus:

Hmm, Snopes says I'm wrong about that:
http://www.snopes.com/language/literary/rosie.asp
Although I can't say I'm totally convinced by their arguments.
Speaking of gruesome railroad-related ditties, remember this one?
A peanut sat on the railroad track His heart was all a-flutter Along came a railroad train Toot-toot! Peanut butter.

Nope, that's a new one to me!
(And the poet/musician in me demands I point out that it doesn't scan worth a darn, either!)
~Pete

Snopes says it isn't, but I'm with you: I think it's quite likely that it is. Rhymes and melodies can hang around for a *long* time, as is evidenced by the fact that almost everyone raised in our western culture can still hum the melody to "Greensleeves" right up until this day, and that tune dates back to at *least* 200 years before the 1665 London plague..
(For the musically bereft; Britain's King Henry the 8th [1485-1547] wrote a well-known set of words to the tune, but the melody is thought to be much older than that. It may have come across the English Channel with the Normans in 1066. Alas, the Normans had no railroads.)

There I *dis*agree with you. Children are naturally blood-thirsty little savages who must be carefully brought up if you wish them to some day become civilized adults, and even then it doesn't always work.
Re-read "Lord of the Flies" and consider how Ann Coulter turned out...