grafar coaches

Can someone tell me if all Graham Farish MkI coaches have flush glazing... I
had a "scrapper" a while back that looked like it was blown from clear
plastic and then painted rather than the minitrix/lima approach of moulding
with glazing inside (giving unrealistic window reveals)
Reason is I have a plan to fit some etched brass overlays to a couple -
having stripped the paint... on which subject; anyone got any pointers what
to use?
cheers in advance
UncleWobbly
"UncleWobbly" wrote
I think so, but am not absolutely certain with the very earliest issues.
John.
Reply to
John Turner
Pretty certain that all the Mk1's are print-painted sides on clear bodies.
If in doubt get specific stripper for the job. I think Phoenix Precision Paints have one:
would recommend you contact them to confirm it will work on those coaches - they are very knowledgable about their products.
If the coach is scratched, you'll probably be able to polish the scratch out. I'd suggest car body polish, but test on a bit of the coach body which will be behind the etched sides first.
Reply to
NC
Thanks once again all.... top answers as usual.
Reply to
UncleWobbly
Thanks John.
Do you have any second hand stuff that would match this at your shop?
I need a couple of Blue/grey Mk1s brand new and two in any livery for stripping, so I would prefer these to be s/h
regards
UncleWobbly
The Mk 1 coaches I have have a slight recess where the windows go, this is filled with a clear plastic insert which has been printed with the windows and matching livery - Bernard Taylor of Taylor Plastic Models used to offer replacement inserts for GF coaches so you could have most of the possible options in a range of liveries.
I haven't bought a new coach for over ten years (went a bit mad early on) so I cannot say if they were different in later years or if they have changed under Bachman.
Reply to
Mike
"UncleWobbly" wrote
Nothing at the moment; sorry! :-(
John.
Reply to
John Turner
wrote
The current ones are not like that.
John.
Reply to
John Turner
Thats a pity, the colour match on the strips was spot on (at least on the ones I have) - Now we have to wait for Bachman to bother to print up some catering cars etc - Seems like a retrograde step to me, they had to sell you a coach for you to use the Taylor insert.
Reply to
Mike
Anyone got any spare roofs for GRAFAR Mk1 Mk2 coaches?
Need some to complete a project.
Yoda
Reply to
Yoda
OK, thanks.
Reply to
UncleWobbly
The GF MK1s originally were produced with the windows on a printed strip inset into the bodyside, which was hugely useful to detaillers and convertors using Taylor inlays. This allowed virtually any type to be modelled.
At some point in the 80s, they were revised to feature a totally clear bodyshell, with the entire livery printed on. Looked much better but did make conversion more difficult. It is possible to remove this using modelstrip or "Quickies" nail varnish removal pads but you may abrade the bodyside, resulting in slightly cloudy windows.
Have you considered using the B+H Enterprises kits for the Mk1s? They incorporate a clear plastic body with metal ends that will accept any etched sides. I have used these in the past and found them very easy to construct. Cheaper than the GF option, too.
Check out
Adam Warr
the diversity in modellers!
I have tried these kits and whereas I find the brass etches to be good and the cast ends to be great, I do not rate the plastic coach bodies at all. The mouldings tend to have a *lot* of flash left on them and sometimes, areas that need building up due to incorrect flow during moulding. Also, they just do not seem to want to "locate" properly in construction - The roofs also are a simply plain section of moulding with no seams or air vents.
I must be doing something wrong :o(
Reply to
UncleWobbly
No, this is exactly the problem I have with the BHE kits! Require a lot of work!
Reply to
Tessy
so what I have a mid to do is to get some S/H grafar coaches, clean 'em up and apply the brass etchings - job done.
Reply to
UncleWobbly
Are you talking about the Grafar coaches with the flash etc?
The new ones made in the far east are 10x better than the old. The moulding is much finer. The roofs now fit and the extensive detail in the printing knocks the spots off any I have seen before on a N gauge model....
What were you looking to model? (Sorry I don't have the earlier post!)
Andy
Reply to
Andrew Sollis CVMRD
no - the kit ones from BHE... the etches and whitemteal are great but I just can't seem to get it together with the coach bodies :o(
Reply to
UncleWobbly